Maat study group: 7 of Wands

Penthasilia

Wow- guess I will be the first to dip into this one :D

Card/Number: 7 of Wands/28

Card Image: see attached

First Impression: A very appropriate image for this card of "under siege". Too often, we do not realize that we are being worked against, it is not so flagrantly exposed, but rather can often hide behind the face of diplomacy.

Card Description: Two Native Americans trade furs with a European settler in the harsh winter. A canoe sits in the water, the sun setting in the distance.

Masculine/Feminine/Neutral: Masculine

Colors: Red, white, pink, brown

Senses: The cold nips at your skin, the tobacco smells smoky and tastes sweet. You distrust this stranger, his overall motives, yet you trade shrewdly- both for the goods that he has, as well as for information that may prove valuable to your people.

Symbols: Native American/European men, trade, furs, pipe, wilderness

Story (Intuitive): The trade is done, he is gone. Good! I watch the old man smoking his pipe, a grave look on his face. "Yes, you know in the end how this will turn out for my people. I too realized the threat, we all did. In the end, it was not about 'winning' a battle, but maintaining our pride and keeping our heritage alive. Remember, there are times where you will feel so strong in your stance, in your beliefs, in your ideals- but no matter how strong you are, there will be people who will try to take it from you by force. They can take the tangible things, yes- but your spirit, your soul, your heritage- those remain yours unless YOU choose to give them up by walking away, or even worse- by becoming like those that attack you. For now, we have the advantage, but we know that will not always be the case- so we embark on careful diplomacy, with the thought of preserving our own and passing it on to our children.". I nod, understanding, but still so angry at how horrible the outcome was. He smiles gently, "Remember this, as long as there are those that keep the Old Ways, we remain strong. Though much has been taken from us, in the end, we have won.".

Astrologic: week of the new moon in Aquarius. Planetary ruler: Uranus.

Element: Air

Keywords: under siege, resistance

Meanings: outnumbered attack but you still have the advantage

Quote: "Remember what you truly fight for, and guard it well."

Attachments

• 7ofwands_1.jpg
    7ofwands_1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 178

annik

Exchange is something that had been done since a long time. I think it is one basis of economy (if I understand correctly). And anyway, it's always nice to meet people especially in winter. They can do some small talk, learn about the other one culture and be satisfied by the exchange. Of course, it's have it's drawback too. But we always look back at the past in a romantised way and with a distance.

This card makes me think of my history classes. Maybe I have ancestors who did kind of trade.

Surja76

for me the meaning of this card is " to insist on onesown interests"
" to defend onesown interests"

Someone wants to impose you something - his goods, interests, thoughts and even power... and you need to think twice before make a desicion to buy or to get any preposition. Do not allow others to fool you. "No inch of your land to enemies!"

Quality of fabric, of the cover is offered by traders hides the truth this old man needs to discover. He needs to know wheather the quality of this cover is suitable to the price traders ask... At the same time if the quality is good he needs to compete with trades to keep the price he is able to pay for this....The pipe this old man smokes is the symbol of hospitality (he needs these goods traders propose) and from other side the smoke of this pipe is the symbol of deep and long time meditation. He thinks over the proposition. He weighs the options what is beneficial and what is not. He needs to make agreement between his emotions and logic (the woman and the man are on this card).

3 people and a boat reminds me the card of 3 of Wands in Classic Rider White. it means that this meeting should be an example of implementation of plans. It is a good foundation that leads to expanding long-term contracts, financial success, good luck in trading if they will be agreed.

What are these people try to sale?

We can see a box with knives and blades of ax. We can calculate - 3 knives are aflat - 3 of Swords + 2 knives upright - 3+2 = 5 - 5 of Swords.
2 blades of ax - 2 of Swords
Totally 5+2 = 7 - 7 of Swords.

All they propose give a birth to doubt, a risk to be fooled, a risk to spend money with over cost or buy things are not useful and this old man does not need at all.

We can see the net besides the box. These people are going to get "good fish" to their net in order to get good profit (we can see backet on the card - Ace of Cups)

New moon in Aquarius teaches us to ability to mingle in society and culture of behavior, culture of talk without emotional outburst. Ability submit our views to others properly and to defend them.

7 of wands is not cordial and emotional card. We should not expect that all people around us should love us and help us free of charge.
But ability to express our strong position to others will help us agree with others and defend our interests.