Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Tarot of Ceremonial Magic Study Group - The Magus

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot


 
Zephyros's Avatar
Zephyros  Zephyros is offline
Jedi
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 8,179
Zephyros 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolMoon View Post
Maybe Thelemic deity is different from deity in general?
Yes and no. While modern interpretations of ancient mythologies may put respective deities as apart from whatever they ruled over, this may not have been the actual case. For example, when Moses meets God for the first time he asks His name. The answer has been translated mostly as "I am That I am," but that translation is wrong. The proper translation is "I will be that I will be," implying that God is whatever he needs to be in a given situation. He is movement and change, the underlying spark of the world. He is not separate from the world but is omnipresent everywhere and in everything because of this, He is what makes the world "tick."

On the Stele of Revealing itself, Nut is portrayed as the arch of stars over the whole scene. She isn't just the power that affects the stars, she is the entire canopy. In Greek mythology, too, the gods aren't just figures in a soap opera but are in fact what they have power over. When there are storms because Poseidon is angry he isn't being just a petulant drama queen but in fact is the storm.

If we look at Thelemic deities the topic becomes either more simple or more complex, depending on your point of view. It starts off by saying the Every man and every woman is a star," implying that contrary to old Aeon religions in which the sun was the seperate life-giving force, here everyone is essentially a deity in themselves with all the holiness that goes with it. Hadit is present in every one, "I am the flame that burns in every heart of man, and in the core of every star. I am Life, and the giver of Life, yet therefore is theknowledge of me the knowledge of death."
Top   #31
Abrac  Abrac is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 13 Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,466
Abrac 

The Magus' hand gestures show there's influence from Levi's Baphomet. It's entirely conceivable the sigil of Babalon behind the Magus' head was influenced by the pentagram on Levi's Baphomet. The Pentagram is in front, but the sigil of Babalon is behind. I think there could be a couple of reasons for this: 1) It wouldn't have been practical to put in front. It would have to be so small you couldn't see it. 2) DuQuette quoting Crowley in Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: "This is the secret of the Holy Graal, that is the sacred vessel of our Lady, the Scarlet Woman, Babalon the Mother of Abominations, the Bride of Chaos, that rideth upon our Lord the Beast." The sigil in back of the head is an illustration of Babalon riding the Beast.
Top   #32
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
I agree, I don't see any suggestion of channelling anything. But why do you think the symbol is there? Would it be because the Magus represents the Master of the Temple?
One would have to ask LMdQ as its his reason. If I would speculate, there are a heap of possibilities. Maybe its showing AC as the Magician as a representative of the 'Great White Brotherhood', or just showing the seal of the order he created ... or, yes, MoT ?

<glances over to bookshelf > cant remember if the book is on shelf or in storage , someone here probably has one at hand ?

..... I am still wondering where the magicians other stuff went ? ( the book, the Holy Oil ... )
Top   #33
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolMoon View Post
Great references and explanation. Although, the definition of Babalon seems still too abstract. When it says, "a personification in herself of Nuit who is all that there is and isn't , it sounds like a self contradiction and irony.
If something really is 'everything' it has to be something , all things, nothing and no things .
Top   #34
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolMoon View Post
I feel that 'anima mundi' and animism doesn't seem to explain the connection of the goddes Babalon to the world as we know it.
Heavens no ! The reference to anima mundi was given in response to the actual question you asked ... not this one above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolMoon View Post
Goddes is a divine concept. They are somehow separate entity from us humanity. Hence humans try to connect with the deity via worship, meditation, prayers, rituals or even crossing the abyss.
No, that would be considered incorrect in this articular Thelemic context. Re check the nature of Babalon ... she ain't Jehovah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolMoon View Post
Anima mundi or animism is a belief that all living existences are connected by so called world spirit.
Not really, that is an unusual definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolMoon View Post

Maybe Thelemic deity is different from deity in general?
Taking 'deity in general' to mean some tyoe of current modern western paradigm of deity ... yes , totally !
Top   #35
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
Yes and no. While modern interpretations of ancient mythologies may put respective deities as apart from whatever they ruled over, this may not have been the actual case. For example, when Moses meets God for the first time he asks His name. The answer has been translated mostly as "I am That I am," but that translation is wrong. The proper translation is "I will be that I will be," implying that God is whatever he needs to be in a given situation. He is movement and change, the underlying spark of the world. He is not separate from the world but is omnipresent everywhere and in everything because of this, He is what makes the world "tick."

On the Stele of Revealing itself, Nut is portrayed as the arch of stars over the whole scene. She isn't just the power that affects the stars, she is the entire canopy. In Greek mythology, too, the gods aren't just figures in a soap opera but are in fact what they have power over. When there are storms because Poseidon is angry he isn't being just a petulant drama queen but in fact is the storm.

If we look at Thelemic deities the topic becomes either more simple or more complex, depending on your point of view. It starts off by saying the Every man and every woman is a star," implying that contrary to old Aeon religions in which the sun was the seperate life-giving force, here everyone is essentially a deity in themselves with all the holiness that goes with it. Hadit is present in every one, "I am the flame that burns in every heart of man, and in the core of every star. I am Life, and the giver of Life, yet therefore is theknowledge of me the knowledge of death."
Well put
Top   #36
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrac View Post
The Magus' had gestures shows there's influence from Levi's Baphomet. It's entirely conceivable the sigil of Babalon behind the Magus' head was influenced by Levi. ...
Is this some personal whim, or is there a reference to this ?
Top   #37
panpiper's Avatar
panpiper  panpiper is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 02 Jan 2009
Location: CT, US
Posts: 33
panpiper 
My Quick Notes


Crowley as Magus, the fact that he is haloed with the Holy Seal of the Fraternity A.'.A.'. plays on the fact that this is the A.'.A.'. Grade he is most associated with (Magus). The Magus is also crowned with a Uraeus serpent crown.

The colors used come directly from the color scales in Liber 777 Yellow, Purple, Grey (3 of the weapons), and indigo flecked violet (the altar/table).

The 4 elemental weapons are all there (somewhere, maybe in Book 4 Crowley described the Stele of Revealing as a pantacle).
Top   #38
foolMoon's Avatar
foolMoon  foolMoon is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Apr 2014
Location: Garden of Light
Posts: 985
foolMoon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest View Post
Heavens no ! The reference to anima mundi was given in response to the actual question you asked ... not this one above.
They are same question, just put in different wordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest

No, that would be considered incorrect in this articular Thelemic context. Re check the nature of Babalon ... she ain't Jehovah.



Not really, that is an unusual definition.



Taking 'deity in general' to mean some tyoe of current modern western paradigm of deity ... yes , totally !

Check Wiki's definition for anima mundi, as I have got it from there.

Although Thelemic deity might be different from others in concepts, Crowley must have treated them as entities existing across abyss, which must be invoked or conjured up via proper rituals.

http://hermetic.com/osiris/cupofbabalon.htm
Top   #39
foolMoon's Avatar
foolMoon  foolMoon is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Apr 2014
Location: Garden of Light
Posts: 985
foolMoon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest View Post
If something really is 'everything' it has to be something , all things, nothing and no things .
Stop repeating yourself
Is it not the typical case of false premises lead into false and hollow conclusion?
Top   #40




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.