Dark Fairytale Tarot - Empress

angelanh

In booklet, they wrote:
"The Queen of Faery. The land blooms at her command, and so does it wither. She will give and she will take, but always demands love in return."

And as my feeling, in this deck Empress is too powerful. Yes, she has dark side too, but balanced one, just like any other cards of Dark Fairytale. But it's reason why I love her more.

Empress has both kind of wolf, a normal one, and dark one. She has a shield of protection, also skull of dead. And beyond her, a loyal crow.

Emperor can control pack of wolf, so does she and perhaps she's even more. She can control not only pack of wolf, she can control nature, decide dead or alive... any thing as if she want. Emperor is only in a castle, how much big that castle can be, it can never big as land, wide as sky.
With that much of power, perhaps it's why her love is so "rough".

Tanga

In booklet, they wrote:
"The Queen of Faery. The land blooms at her command, and so does it wither. She will give and she will take, but always demands love in return."

Lady Titania - Queen of the Summer Court of the Sidhe!
Hmmm - somehow, I'd prefer to see her as blonde or a red-head. :)
Not to mention I rather feel her clothing should be a little bit more airy-fairy and all that.
Perhaps she's dressed down, ready to walk amoung mortals?
What? - as if to say "you too can be an Empress in your own rite, mortal lady - observe, listen to the cycles, tune in to the environment". Perhaps.

I don't see her wolf companions as two different types. Rather that the one on her right is
in the light, the one on her left is in the shadow of night-time (maybe aptly left and right. The left in the dark, hidden, passive. The right in the light, active, sending forth with a howl). Red eyes for reflective classic "dark drama". (In real life most animal eyes reflect greenish-yellow at night).
These and the crow could echoe her supernatural power and associations with - power over nature. The storm cloud behind her - power over the weather. The skulls by her feet - power of the cycles of life and death. That the crow is alighting on her right wing suggest her intimacy with it and therefore, intimacy with the mysterious language or whisperings of nature.

I have to say the shield hardly looks like it belongs to her here.
It seems she has dark wings - bat like. And her throne sports sort-of Anubis-like armrests.
Powers that run deep into the dark unknown.
She's wearing black pumps? :joke: and what looks like a goth style chain (maybe a hanging angel) around her neck. I'd say her tiara is rather tame for a fae queen.

And so - ahem. I do find this Empress a tad tame for a dark fairytale.

With that much of power, perhaps it's why her love is so "rough".

Do you mean "absolute power corrupting absolutely"? - her power alienates her from human emotion, though she looks so human.