Tarot: W x D x H = Earth

abarrach

Fulgor,

Thanks for clarifying your position. Just when things with the Cube started to crystalize in my mind, you give me something else to ponder :)

I must say that ABC=123 doesn't really fit with my mathematical background. I much prefer ABC=012. It makes a lot of math much easier (not that I do a lot of math with Tarot/Hebrew/etc.). I am not very well versed in numerology, but I am aware that 22 has special numerological significance, and I assure you that ABC=012 doesn't preclude using 22 in the system. With modular arithmetic, 0=22 (mod 22), which, in my system, correspond to Aleph and The Fool. The begining of the cycle is the end of the cycle and the begining of the next.

I like The Fool joining Above (The Magician, Mercury) and Below (The High Priestess, The Moon). I also like having the World in the centre, because I can look at it as being a smaller cube, or the whole cube as the World centre node of a larger cube. Sort of a fractal concept.

I'm not sure where you map the letters of the Hebrew alphabet on your Box, or if you do at all. If you could let me know a little more of how you use relate your Box to your alphabet/number/Tarot systems, I'll see if it makes sense to me.

To be sure, I'm not really a Qabalist nor a Golden Dawn follower either. Someone introduced me to the Cube of Space at a local tarot discussion group, and it fascinated me. It really appealed to my mathematical background (in more ways than stated above).

Fulgour

From the standpoint of number "quality" in numerology
the notion that One is the same as Zero has much validity
in that All of something is the same as None of anything,
in effect, one of zero is the same as one of one. ~It works.

But the alphabet isn't about numbers, rather it is position,
and so in the first position we have the first letter's location
which though it be interesting to allow for a "Cosmic Egg"
with letters there is a grounding required, so a first point.

Two looks at One and thinks of Three in numerology.
Four stands on Three and becomes Five ~ it's relativity.
But whether written or spoken Aleph is physically one
in the order of the twenty-two letters, but intangibly it
can also be "thought" of as before and after: organically.

Here's where I find it most helpful to stick to the basics:

If I go out on a Golden Dawn limb and find myself lost,
all I can do is wonder what they were thinking about...
but if my wanderings strand me on a perilous cliff that
yet is grounded by the solidity of ABC&123 ~ I'm firm.

Fulgour

abarrach said:
I must say that ABC=123 doesn't really fit with my mathematical background. I much prefer ABC=012.
I was thinking about this last night, looking at the conjunction
of Venus and Jupiter. Would it make sense to number Aries as
"zero" for any reason? Aries is first in the same sense as Aleph.

abarrach

Fulgour said:
I was thinking about this last night, looking at the conjunction
of Venus and Jupiter. Would it make sense to number Aries as
"zero" for any reason? Aries is first in the same sense as Aleph.
I think there may be some uses for starting the Zodiac with Aries as zero. I haven't really put much thought into it as I've never had a need to use positions with the Zodiac.

I think starting at zero and starting at one are not mutually exclusive, you just need to know what your context is. For example : When we talk about the 1st century, we are referring to years 1..100, just as the 20th century refers to years 1901..2000. Notice that for the 1st century, the hundreds digit is 0 (except for the last year of the century). So the first century is century 0. It's all about context.

With the Tarot, The Fool is traditionally numbered 0, but it is the 1st card. There is no such thing as a 0th anything.

Fulgor said:
But the alphabet isn't about numbers, rather it is position,
and so in the first position we have the first letter's location
And this is where our views differ, and this is why both our views are correct.

Fulgour

abarrach said:
With the Tarot, The Fool is traditionally numbered 0, but it is the 1st card. There is no such thing as a 0th anything.
Traditionally, The Fool (Le Fol) was unnumbered.
And even with a Zero, it was referred to as the
"unnumbered card marked with a zero" at first...

#1 comes first because #2 comes second, and to
put #0 first and move ALL the other cards back is
a big big change no matter how pleasant it seems.

I want to also say, Thank You :) This is interesting!

Fulgour

w + d + h = something...

Well... it's never too late to actually talk about the box.
For me this has been a truly helpful way to understand
why there are only the 3 Elements ~ the 4th is created
de facto and yet this simple idea makes so much sense.

Fulgour

Fair & Square

Necker Cube, animated

http://wisebytes.net/illusions/necker.php

There are two ways to see a line drawing of a cube. Sometimes one face of the cube looks like it is at the front, and then the same face appears to be at the back. This is called a reversal. Notice how the cube reverses each time a block goes through it. This is because the block has depth cues which force a particular depth view to emerge. ©wisebytes.net

Necker Cube, animated

http://eluzions.com/Pictures/Cubes/Necker/

The Necker Cube ( http://eluzions.com/Illusions/Unstable/ ) is named after the Swiss crystallographer Louis Albert Necker, who in the mid-1800's saw cubic shapes spontaneously reverse in perspective. The human mind perceives the 2-dimensional shadow of a cube as a 3-dimensional object, but the 2-D image doesn't distinguish the front and back faces. You can perceive either face as being in front. ©EncycloZine

Fun at Home

http://www.kahome.co.uk/necker.gif

If you think this is simple, try drawing one... ;)
the angles have to be exactly just "so" to work.

Fulgour

(on topic)

An "Image" of Length, Breadth, and Width, United: click on.

"Pablo" has a go at it: click on.

Fulgour

Tubal-Cain Pre-School

kwaw said:
My four year olds exercise book had something similar. Do you think her nusery assistant is a secret initiate of the Immortal Teachers of Mysteries:)
Thanks for the thoughtful observation and question.
It's always good to be made to feel "welcome" here.