Alchemical English term required

Diana

In desperation, I put this thread here.... jmd, please excuse me, but I don't know where to put it. And I need some help.

I am translating a Tarot text for someone from French. I have hunted all over for the translation in English of the alchemical word "galette".

The "galette" in alchemy (in the French language), is the crust that forms when the compost decomposes, and then this crust starts cracking. It then looks a little bit like what we call in French a "galette", a kind of a pastry. Underneath this crust is a white mass from which one can extract the philosopher's stone. So it's not just the crust, it's when the crust has started cracking.

I've been hunting for ages on the internet and am getting frustrated. Can anyone help me out?

jmd: You are welcome to delete this thread if you think it was improper of me to post it here.

jmd

I must have looked through this section a little too quickly earlier on, and missed this thread.

In some literature I recall (but cannot cite offhand), there is reference to the parched Earth that cracks like an egg-shell to reveal the inner diamond - the diamond is sometimes said to be one of the forms the philosopher's stone takes, ie, carbon in its densest form.

I remain unsure, then, if 'parched earth' would make an appropriate translation. Perhaps a good source may be to look in Fulcanelli's books for the term in French, and then to see how it has been translated in the English versions... not much help so far, I guess.

Diana

Jean-Michel: I think the parched earth will do just fine!!! I am pretty certain that this is the term I am looking for.

I am SO grateful to you. Thank you! :)

Fulgour

see also 2 Fossa : Cavity

Galette > gallette: pebble, stone; masonry rubble
Galette > galet: weasel, ferret; slender carnivore

tmgrl2

Galette des Rois....the Twelfth Night cake ...it contained a "bean" or a "charm" when cracked open...

This was my first thought when you mentioned the philosopher's stone being underneath or within...

"Parched earth" does sound good!

terri

Diana

terri: When Bocher was trying to explain to me what a "galette" was (so I could look for the word in English), he mentioned the "Galette des Rois". This tradition is still very much alive - at least in the part of Europe where I live.

It's a very important tradition - and some people even collect the figurines that one can find in them. (They are often figurines of the 3 Wise Men, or other historical figures of the times.) The person who gets the "charm" is crowned King, and the galettes one buys at the bakeries all come with a paper golden crown. :)

tmgrl2

I believe, too, Diana, that other cultures have the "charm" baked into the cake as a tradition....

It has so much rich symbolism, does it not?

terri

smleite

Here in Portugal we have the “Bolo Rei”, or King Cake, and, till some 4 or 5 years ago, it had a “lucky charm” baked in. The one who got it had to pay next year’s cake... but the EC (Economic Community) directives have forbidden it, afraid that someone could choke with the figurine… so sad.