Pros and Cons Thread Enabling+De-enabling

herself

PCS and Prairie

PCS & Prairie.......

PCS - I actually really like the texture. I agree it is quite different from other decks, and 'waxy' is about right. I also really like the "coffee stained" colouring.

Cons: well, it is yet another Waite deck...

Prairie:

Pros: Nice style, reads really well, has a few interesting interpretations on conventional cards (like Laura pointed out for Temperance), and looks awesome!

cons: A bit sticky in texture for my liking; no LWB, if that bothers you (I'm happy without it, but still...); some cards are 'cartoonier' than others...

herself

How about...Wisdom of the Four Winds? (Or Merryday?)

OK, my turn. It's an oracle deck (hope it's ok to raise it here?)... does anyone have the Wisdom of the Four Winds?

(Link here.) To buy this is $90 NZD, but hey, I'm in New Zealand. These cards have a really personal feel - they are so NZ feeling. But yikes, they are pricey. Interested to know if anyone has had them or used them?

If Oracle decks are no good... how about the Merryday?

edit to add: shall I say 'feel' one more time? :p

BodhiSeed

Wisdom of the Four Winds

OK, my turn. It's an oracle deck (hope it's ok to raise it here?)... does anyone have the Wisdom of the Four Winds?

(Link here.) To buy this is $90 NZD, but hey, I'm in New Zealand. These cards have a really personal feel - they are so NZ feeling. But yikes, they are pricey. Interested to know if anyone has had them or used them?

Pros: This is one of the loveliest oracles I own. It has an earthy feel to it, which makes sense as everything in it is nature-based. Nice hardback book accompanies it.
Cons: This deck is more of a spiritual tool than a fortune-telling deck to me. I think it works better using it for insight than for trying to look into the future.

I used this deck on my blog (see my profile) between Jan. 14-20 if you want to see how I read with it.

Cassandra022

Thanks for this, vee! I read the forum sometimes on my phone, and it an be a bit of a puzzle sometimes to figure out what people are talking about! :laugh:

Cassandra022: Re: the PCS Commemorative

I really like this deck, so it's mostly Pros for me.

haha yeah, i think this is one i most def need to get soon; all the pros you and alta listed make it sound appealing. the cons don't seem like cons to me really...i like the cloudy/tea-stained look of it and the backs seem perfectly nice to me...

janie144

infinite visions

I keep looking at this deck, its on my wish list and has been for a while now, problem is to order this deck and pay for the delivery to the uk takes the price beyond what I would normally pay for a deck, yet still I keep looking at it.

So pros and cons please :) do I give in and buy this or just remove it from my wishlist?

herself

Wisdom of the Four Winds

(Wisdom of the Four Winds Oracle)
Pros: This is one of the loveliest oracles I own. It has an earthy feel to it, which makes sense as everything in it is nature-based. Nice hardback book accompanies it.
Cons: This deck is more of a spiritual tool than a fortune-telling deck to me. I think it works better using it for insight than for trying to look into the future.

I used this deck on my blog (see my profile) between Jan. 14-20 if you want to see how I read with it.

Oh BodhiSeed, I think I was reading your blog when I came across this deck! I'd forgotten where I had seen it before :)

I was really impressed with your readings with the deck (and for that matter I really think the way you combine your single card draws is so awesome) - it made me want to pick up an oracle deck to try it out myself :)

Alta

infinite visions

I have this deck and love it, but:

Pros:

- to my eye the pictures chosen are perfect. I have been using this deck daily for better part of two months now and every day I like it more. The images are selected thoughtfully.

- I have the smaller size, which won't affect you because she no longer makes the large size. I find I can still see the images in good detail, and my eyesight is not that great. I really like the card size, it is roughly playing card size.

Cons:

- when I bought it she was still selling the decks laminated. To me, the lamination is perfect. BUT: she no longer does this. On her site she says that the cards are durable and smudge-proof but I would wonder about that. If you could find one, get an older copy that was hand laminated. I riffle shuffle and have doing so for two months and the cards are perfect.

- the deck is expensive, no doubt about that.

- some of the images seem slightly out of focus. Doesn't bother me but I have seen others comment on this negatively so you should know.

AJ

Wisdom of the Four Winds, Merryday

does anyone have the Wisdom of the Four Winds?

If Oracle decks are no good... how about the Merryday?
Wisdom of the Four Winds
Cons:
Crikey, Pricey is right. I kept them on my radar for several years and finally scored a set for $25 US on ebay.
keywords
It's an oracle

Pluses:
Big cards 5.5" 14 CM tall, 3.25" 8 CM wide
Borders are non-intrusive
For northern hemisphere folk the titles are nice (ie. 24 Paua - Harmony)
The Wheel is interesting
Companion book is good enough to stand alone.
It's an oracle :)
They were an absolute pleasure to use and blog with.

You are a subscriber, put a wanted in the trading forum, you might be surprised!

Merry Day
Cons:
With a ton of use the cardstock will get a little soft, but people here seldom use one deck.
Black borders, always show some wear
Book is impossible to find, and although the artist/author is still alive and reading as best I can verify, none of us have ever been able to contact here in a way that resulted in a response.
It is a rider waite clone like hundreds of others
The numerology which is 1/2 the book did not sit well with me but I'm not a numerology expert.

Pluses:
Black borders, looks like a loved deck
Lovely art, if I remember right the suits are different cultures.
Reasonably priced still.
Smaller cards, easy to shuffle for all hand sizes.
Easy to read

herself

Merryday/Wisdom of the Four Winds

Wisdom of the Four Winds
Cons:
Crikey, Pricey is right. I kept them on my radar for several years and finally scored a set for $25 US on ebay.
keywords
It's an oracle

Pluses:
Big cards 5.5" 14 CM tall, 3.25" 8 CM wide
Borders are non-intrusive
For northern hemisphere folk the titles are nice (ie. 24 Paua - Harmony)
The Wheel is interesting
Companion book is good enough to stand alone.
It's an oracle :)
They were an absolute pleasure to use and blog with.

You are a subscriber, put a wanted in the trading forum, you might be surprised!

Merry Day
Cons:
With a ton of use the cardstock will get a little soft, but people here seldom use one deck.
Black borders, always show some wear
Book is impossible to find, and although the artist/author is still alive and reading as best I can verify, none of us have ever been able to contact here in a way that resulted in a response.
It is a rider waite clone like hundreds of others
The numerology which is 1/2 the book did not sit well with me but I'm not a numerology expert.

Pluses:
Black borders, looks like a loved deck
Lovely art, if I remember right the suits are different cultures.
Reasonably priced still.
Smaller cards, easy to shuffle for all hand sizes.
Easy to read

Thanks AJ. I'm still on the fence with MerryDay... but oo, yes, good thinking. I'll go run over to the trading thread and see if anyone wants to get rid of their Four Winds :D

Asbestos Mango

Golden Dawn Magical Tarot

I'm finding myself drawn to this deck in spite of some negative reviews, and I feel like it would make a nice addition to my Thothy subcollection.

Anybody have this deck who can tell me the pros and cons of it?