"antique" Rider Waite deck

gregory

I'd say way overpriced, yes.

But looking at her other prices, I don't like your chances of getting her to move downwards. She's not called Rich Witch for nothing, I suspect.

GOOD GOD look at some of those decks and her tarot course.....

A Lenormand JUST LIKE MINE for $500.

Soprafino for $500 - and THAT you can get new from alida for €29.50

and more....

I'd give up !

I'd watch ebay, me....

Laura Borealis

That's one thing about the Etsy market. You don't have to keep re-listing if something doesn't sell. Some sellers do, as a business practice, but you don't have to. She can leave it at $280 for months and eventually someone with more money than sense will buy it. :neutral: Especially with a niche market like tarot on Etsy... anyone who does a search on "tarot deck" will run across it.

She's misusing the term antique as well. It's vintage but not antique.

Tag_jorrit

I just bought a brand new Albano Waite deck because of the "ghosts" attached to my original. I have a 1968 version of the AlbanoWaite from a previous life -- can someone please tell me the attraction of the old one?

Cerulean

Some people like the version without copyright notes and the less slick feel..

...some of the older decks people have just seem to feel better because in some cases, the deck has a more satin-like finish. The lack of a copyright date on the front makes some people enjoy the images better.

But it just may be the variations seem more fun to others. Here's a comparison page:

http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/Albano.html

I have a few of the older Tarot Production decks bought used for a few dollars over the years and the older sets sometimes are not in the best shape or condition--if you like color variations to standard Rider Waite Smith or Waite-Smith decks, it is a pleasant diversion sometimes to have a previously used or different colored deck.

If it doesn't really matter to you, then it's not a big deal. Just personal preference to some fans here.

Best wishes.

Cerulean

Tag_jorrit

Thank you, C.

Richard

I just bought a brand new Albano Waite deck because of the "ghosts" attached to my original. I have a 1968 version of the AlbanoWaite from a previous life -- can someone please tell me the attraction of the old one?
My 1968 Albano is a mini, so it's not quite fair to compare it to the new standard size deck. However, the printing seems better in the 1968 as does the card stock. My new deck had to be treated several times with talcum powder before it would handle properly, and it had a strongly toxic odor. I managed to attenuate the odor by putting the deck in the freezer for a few days, but there remains a lingering unpleasant smell. In its favor, the printing of the Albano is a bit better than that of the recent Italian printings of the standard Rider-Waite. My best Rider-Waite decks are a Belgium pocket edition and a Chinese mini.

gregory

If the new one is USG and the old one is not - just take out the two sun cards....

Tag_jorrit

I don't know whether the new card stock is better or worse than the older Tarot Productions deck and I really can't see a huge difference between the coloring of the two Suns aside from the general yellowing of the white borders of the old deck and the darker red sash on the new USG deck.

The USG orange backgrounds of the wands are also darker but there really isn't a whole lot of visual difference on most of the cards. I was heartened to notice that the corporate copyright is not on the new deck, either. The new deck's smell doesn't bother me nearly as much as the smoky (used) decks I have added to my collection.

gregory

I don't know whether the new card stock is better or worse than the older Tarot Productions deck and I really can't see a huge difference between the coloring of the two Suns aside from the general yellowing of the white borders of the old deck and the darker red sash on the new USG deck.

The USG orange backgrounds of the wands are also darker but there really isn't a whole lot of visual difference on most of the cards. I was heartened to notice that the corporate copyright is not on the new deck, either. The new deck's smell doesn't bother me nearly as much as the smoky (used) decks I have added to my collection.

The Sun image in the USG one seems FRACTIONALLY squished so the sun isn't quite round. Once you see that, you start to notice that ALL the images are FRACTIONALLY squished to fit USG card size. WHY ??? It annoys me - is all !

Sulis

The image of the sun has been squashed slightly to fit the card size in the US Games version and if you look at a card like the Page of Pentacles, he's actually wearing purple in the Tarot Productions inc decks but it's a sludgy brown colour in the US Games decks.

Edited to add: Oops sorry gregory, we were posting at the same time :).
It's the sludgy colours that and the plastic lamination that really bother me in the newer decks.