The Wild Unknown - XIX The Sun

a*weaver

I adore this card, I've been spending a lot of one-on-one time with it.

I very much agree with the idea of the doves spreading and anchoring the life-giving energy of the Sun. And this rendition does seem to give the sun its proper due by keeping it the center of focus. :)

Winterchild

The Sun

I am sorry you are getting all my inout in one go here, but I hadnt realised the thread had started so am copying them in from Evernote!! I havent gone through all the cards, but had done a fair few, in random order....

The Sun..... First thoughts.....

It reminds me of a book mark I had in a bible I was given as a child, maybe the script, maybe the doves, maybe the sun itself as the light of the world.

It is creation, from the dark centre to the explosion of life... the doves are like going out to spread the news sending the suns blessings and messages of joy and peace. They fly in all four directions so the light is to be taken to the very darkest corners of the universe. Into the wild blue yonder they go...

Symbollically, well reading wise I would think of a job well done, completion of a huge task, wellbeing after a struggle... time to get out of the shadows and come out into the light. Let your true light and power shine through. Spread joy and peace, for we have life...

So much life here... and promise.....

celticnoodle

love everyone's thoughts on this card. Yes, this card is another one that is so well done. The warming rays of the sun even feel good to look at, (especially on a dark and dreary February day here), but at the same time, care must be taken not to be burned if you get too close.

I love this sun card best of any sun card in any other tarot deck I own. Perhaps because looking at this you can get a better feeling for the meanings, rather then concentrating on that boy child riding the horse depicted in most decks.

I look at this card and I too see, warmth and peace. the 4 doves give the sense of peace. I love how JCW says, carrying it to the 4 corners of the world. I didn't think of that! As for the blue lines in the outer portion of the card...to me this blue speaks of calm and peace. Where as the colors of the suns rays from the middle out--that dark red, get too close and it can burn you! it feels angry in the middle--and as it spans out into more subtle reds, oranges and yellows--I feel more comforted by them. I can feel the heat--but the further away from the middle, I feel energized by it, not burned up by it. I can feel strength and power in myself. confidence. like I CAN do something I want! I have the ability to do it! There is a good feeling of power and confidence in this card.

The 4 birds/doves---they feel very motherly to me--which doves are often depicted with mothers. they lend a nice comfortable feel to the cards image. They depict hope and devotion to me. I believe many feel mothers are devoted to their babies--and so the use of the doves in this card fills me with that feeling. That there are 4 of them, again, the four make me think of stability. protection. dependence. and independence. We are dependent upon the sun every day--we need the sun for so much--but at the same time, the colors in this card, and the fact that 4 birds are flying--speaks of independence, too. free to rely on our own strength and will.

so yes, when this card appears in a reading, I'd see it as having the vision and the will and confidence to go out and obtain that which you most desire and are most devoted to obtaining. It is there for you to grab! Take the chance and go for it!

flipperjane

Ahh - I LOVE this card. Coming from damp Devon I look at this card and feel like I can just step into the sunshine and be bathed in its warming, healing rays.
I've only just got this deck and am going through the major arcana fairly quickly and this is the second card where the word 'peace' has just come into my head (the other card was Strength). It's those doves and the sunshine that sparks that word off for me. I'm trying to grasp how peace works for a meaning in the Sun card and I think it's because if everything else is right in your life then you will truly be at peace.

I've still got to do some more thinking about this.

Pixna

flipperjane, when I see this card, it makes me feel that the strength of the sun is stabilizing, and with that stability and security, it's possible to send peace out in all directions (as the doves are doing). This is such a beautiful sun card -- I can almost feel the warmth radiating off the card. :)

flipperjane

flipperjane, when I see this card, it makes me feel that the strength of the sun is stabilizing, and with that stability and security, it's possible to send peace out in all directions (as the doves are doing). This is such a beautiful sun card -- I can almost feel the warm radiating off the card. :)

Ah - that's very nice Pixna - thanks for your thoughts on that :)

Hash

What is interesting is that where the doves are in the corners, the rays of the sun's light turn from yellow to blue. I'm not sure what I feel the significance of this is, but Id like to hear what it means to other people.

To me, the blue is a representation of the Earth. Our planet is at that perfect spot in the solar system where water can exist in abundance to sustain our incredible biodiversity. That's why the word that springs forefront to me when I see this card is "life." While the sun is the source of our life, it would not be if our planet wasn't in the Goldilocks Zone. The sun's energy has to work in conjunction with the position of our beautiful, blue marble to create paradise. This card demonstrates energy that has reached perfection.

Hash

One other thing to mention in regards to doves being perfect for a life-affirming reading of this card. A dove was the bird that Noah sent out to find life after the flood in the Bible.

Basileia Hera

There's a lot of great thoughts here. For me though I find I see in this card a vortex which is more unnerving than calming. I stare into the centre of the light and I feel a knot begin to form and worries begin to creep into my mind as if I may stray too far into the light and disappear into the darkness beyond.

It's actually the doves for me which become the focal point, although they seem to "hold the sun up" with their position in the corners. Doves are traditionally messengers of peace and love - I think of the hope they bring to Noah in the story from the bible. So these were the themes I went with as I contemplated the message I got from this card:

You've been expending energy needlessly and you've been left feeling drained and exhausted. Now is the time to slow down, step back before you get burned. Find your inner peace again. Take some time to delve into self-love and rejuvenation. Do not let yourself stray into the darkness, bask in the warmth and radiance of the light.