Why Lenormands?

greatdane

Well hopefully, Mags

We can both pick up info from this thread and those Lenormand readers who are willing to share their thoughts!

MagsStardustBlack

Is Lenormand to Oracle reading cards what RWS Thoth and Marseille is to Tarot reading cards? A prefered system?

MagsStardustBlack

Marina said:
Frankly, I find Lenormand much more objective than Tarot.

In fact, I confess I've been feeling quite disappointed with Tarot lately, giving more attention to my Lenormand and Playing Card studies.

Lenormand... gives you more practical things to work with. This card is about work, this combination is about illness, this other is about gossip... it points you practical things that are going on around you. Whereas Tarot tends to be quite vague (or the readers are vague, I don't know anymore). It's always "change", "potential", "strength", and all those things that seem quite useless when you are dealing with the nitty-gritty.

It's too spiritual, whereas Lenormand seems more about the daily life. That's why I have been reaching more for it than for tarot, as of late.

Hi Marina,

I'm interested too. So do you find Lenormand oracle cards more appealing than other nontarot oracle cards? Or are all nontarot oracle cards very similar in their messages for day to day life? xxMags

Ashtaroot

I love both, but if I want a quick straight answer I go with Lenormand.
Tarot is awesome and it has so many layers, it gets on to a higher plane. Sometime it tend to be vague or too general. Lenormand just gets right to the meat of the the matter, it is the gossip deck. I have many other oracles I have yet to find anything like Lenormand, short sweet and to the point.

Is x interrested in a long relation with me
Ring Dog Man Crossroads Lady
No he is already in a committed relation and all he wants is another dish on the side.
It is a very clear system doesn't leave room to anything else, you get your answer right away. Some people do not like that.

I also like combining tarot and Lenormand
This shows in detail how it can be done
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=96703

greatdane

WOW Ashtaroot!

Thank you for your post. That really brings things into perspective as to why many love Lenormands!

Loved your example, btw lol!

Thank you for showing about combining Lenormands and tarot.

Blessings,
GD

MareSaturni

greatdane said:
So you see tarot as kind of more philosophical and lenormands as more practical? That makes sense. I noticed just in my brief study of lenormands they tend to be just very to the point, not as much leeway and interpretation as tarot. Would you agree with that then?

Hi GD!

I think that the discussion would be - doesn't the tarot sometimes seem to give too much leeway for interpretation, and then the message ends up too vague? What many people perceive as "limited" in the Lenormand, I begin to perceive as "objective". I think the fact it has more fixed meanings bothers many readers because they want to have "space" to bend the meaning of the card enough so it'll eventually fit any situation. Whereas with the Lenormand, you either get it right or wrong. Then you have to see why you interpreted it wrong, because it can be so precise.

I like the Tarot, I like using it when I need more subject advices, but the truth is that I have been living too close to the nitty-gritty to care about spiritual and philosophical advices. And that was all that tarot could give me. That is why I have turned to these other oracles.

I find that playing cards, for instance, are good for both the spiritual and the practical. I'm still a very beginner when it comes to Lenormand, and for now I perceive it's practical meanings better, but I do think that with practice it may also be used for any kind of reading.

I think that the Tarot concentrates too much on the abstract, and many times people want concrete information. That's when the Lenormand comes in hand.

MagsStardustBlack said:
Hi Marina,

I'm interested too. So do you find Lenormand oracle cards more appealing than other nontarot oracle cards? Or are all nontarot oracle cards very similar in their messages for day to day life? xxMags

The thing is that oracles are way too diverse, you have thousand of different oracle decks! Some are very "down to earth", whereas others are completely abstract, like the Toni Carmine Salerno oracles, the Doreen Virtue oracles etc. But they have different goals anyway, so it's understandable.

I find the Lenormand objective, and I find that many other non-Tarot oracles have this same quality, such as the Playing Cards, the Kipper cards, the Pages of Shustah etc.

The Tarot is a divination tool that tries to be "universal", and serve all purposes, but nowadays I'm starting to doubt that it really is...

Le Fanu

MagsStardustBlack said:
I love learning my decks and equally love to know all the different types of decks, different systems and history and so on.....xxMags
Gorge on this feast.

Every time this subject comes up, I remember that there was a thread here on AT which helped me enormously when I first started. It went through the cards (one thread; all cards) one by one and gave meanings which resonated with me. I bought a small notebook and started building up my own meanings in conjunction with these meanings and really felt that I had found something to get me started.

Of course, I cannot locate it now (though it was linked to me in another thread by some kind soul when I was - again - bemoaning the fact that I couldn't find it!).

It was posted by a (German?) member? I seem to remember it had some translations as it worked though each card, though I could be mistaken.

I have no way of searching for this, other than "Lenormand" in the Lenormand Forum which, as you can imagine, brings up rather a lot...

Bernice

Why Lenormands?
I have quite a lot of oracle decks - love 'em all. But the Lenormands with their simple images seem to have a 'clearer' voice. Maybe, it's just that Less is More.

Bee :)

Le Fanu

cardlady22 said:
How fast is that? yes.. that's the one. I was right (Germany!) I really should save this. It's just that I took notes from it in my notebook and so I don't consult the thread itself now, but I forget it might be useful for others...