Veracity of the Kabbalistic Visions Tarot

Nemia

And what about the astrological associations of the deck? What does Scorpio do on the 8 of Coins? Virgo is obvious, but Scorpio? And what do the letters on the card mean? בו? כו? Does anybody know? There is a companion book, how good is it?

I confess, my own inner image of the Tree is far removed from these images, and the torn scroll shape doesn't help me, but it's an interesting deck.

gregory

I know nothing.

But I do have the deck - with book.

The text for Popess does refer to Gimel ("camel in Hebrew") as well as to the letters on her breasts (Qoph and Resh) but doesn't actually say it is the letter in the camel.; I can type up some of it if you want.

kwaw - if the poster I attach is the ToL you refer to - I don't think you need to worry about it :bugeyed: But here's the one from the BOOK - for those of you who will now Teach Me Stuff, please ? (It's a bit skewy as I didn't want to break the spine, but you can see what you need, I think ?)

There is also a diagram of the 7 Palaces...

oh - and Nemia: "Finally, the symbol of Scorpio reminds us how everything unnecessary for the journey has to be eliminated or left behind so that it can be possible to proceed without dead weights towards the goal."

There is a companion book. How good is it - I REALLY can't judge, but I will look up stuff for y'all within limits. I think a lot of the person who has reviewed it here, and she says:
The text for each individual card is fascinating. It is evident that Marini had a particular vision for each archetype as interpreted through the lens of Kabbalism and subsequently communicated to Scapini to capture and express.

I am a little suspicious of the scholarship, as - as Kimberley points out - Marini actually STILL reckons it all started in Egypt and that
“it is not by chance that every Tarot corresponds to a letter of the Hebrew alphabet and a number”...

All the reviews I can find start out with something like "I don't know kaballah but this is fascinating..."

Attachments

• kabbalistic-visions-tarot-poster.jpg
    kabbalistic-visions-tarot-poster.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 753
  • tree of life.jpg
    tree of life.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 948

gregory

Also, that Two of Wands has a creepy vibe I'm not comfortable with. It might be intentional but a white leg stomping a black figure is quite a charged image.
That is apparently the goddess pinning down the divine child. If that cheers you up at all. The dominion of form and feminine element over creation. The child is "the holy form par excellence, himself."

There's more...

kwaw

I know nothing.

You -- you -- you Socrates you!

kwaw - if the poster I attach is the ToL you refer to - I don't think you need to worry about it :bugeyed:

That's the One!

:bugeyed:

"Finally, the symbol of Scorpio reminds us how everything unnecessary for the journey has to be eliminated or left behind so that it can be possible to proceed without dead weights towards the goal."

♏ (?)

Can anyone explain that? What in the symbol of Scorpio is 'left behind' or 'unnecessary'? It's Sting? If so, is that true?

Barleywine

♏ (?)

Can anyone explain that? What in the symbol of Scorpio is 'left behind' or 'unnecessary'? It's Sting? If so, is that true?

We could get a little creative here. According to Ungar and Huber's The Horary Reference Book, Volume I, insects are ruled by Pluto. If you're a modernist, Pluto rules Scorpio. Honeybees are an insect (technically a solar insect, but never mind that). When honeybees sting, they often leave their stinger behind in the skin, quickly killing them, another Scorpionic phenomenon.

Or, if we are feeling more scatological, we could say that Scorpio rules the excretory function, and as George Carlin famously said in one of his monologues, "You don't take a s**t, you LEAVE it."

So there you have it, the only (semi-serious) explanation I can offer.

Abrac

kwaw, that's a very interesting TOL pic you posted, thanks for sharing it. I wouldn't mind learning more about it. Do you know where a person could get more info?

kwaw

kwaw, that's a very interesting TOL pic you posted, thanks for sharing it. I wouldn't mind learning more about it. Do you know where a person could get more info?

Caroll Poke Runyon dedicates an appendix to it in his Secrets of the Golden Dawn Cipher Manuscripts.

Also (without any explanation howevre) in The Complete Golden Dawn Cipher Manuscript (Golden Dawn Studies No 1), edited by Darcy Kuntz (It is used to illustrate the front cover)

It was one of the diagrams shown to the Philosophus in the GD and its off-shoots (eg, AO, SM and WR).

It is derived from one of the kabbalistic diagrams based upon the teachings of Luria to be found in Rosenroth's kabbalah Denudata:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...roth,_Kabbala_denudata._Wellcome_L0007910.jpg

Some explanation of which may possibly* be found in The Kabbalistic Diagrams of Rosenroth translated by Chris Atton & Stephen Dziklewicz, published by Hermetic Research Trust, 1987

Kwaw

*possibly - but I am not sure to what extent, if at all, as I have not seen nor read the book myself

Abrac

That's awesome kwaw, thank you very much. :)

gregory

What do you people who do know your stuff make of the ToL from the Scapini/Marini book that I uploaded ?

I wouldn't know (seriously, kwaw !) - and would like to know what you all think of it ?

EmpyreanKnight

Thank you so much for the pictures in post 12, gregory. It was a lot of help!

In post 12 of this thread, which I'll just link here since I cannot quote the two attachments, you attached two images, the huge Tarot Poster that was also included in the box and an image of the Tree of Life in the companion book.

http://tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=4929770&postcount=12

That was actually very helpful since it showed the paths between the sephiroth in the Tree of Life and its corresponding letter in the Hebrew alphabet. Now I counterchecked each path-letter connecting two sephiroth in the picture against the recommended path-letters (my apologies, I do not know what they're called) in my copy of the Liber Theta and every one of the 22 paths in the chart fit perfectly with those in the Liber Theta. For example, in the companion book's Tree of Life aleph connects chokmah to kether, and in the Liber Theta this path is correct, and is connected to the Fool. I checked everything and all the 22 matched.

Now the question is if the hebrew letter connected to the correct major, as stated in the Liber Theta. In the same post, gregory also mentioned that the Popess (corresponding to the High Priestess) refers to gimel, which is exactly what is stated in the Liber Theta too. Now if we can only get the Major Card-Hebrew Letter correspondences in the other majors in the Kabbalistic Visions companion book, we can at least conclude that the Kabbalistic correspondences for the majors, the letters, and the paths are at least correct. Some cards have a lot of Hebrew letters in them and it can be quite confusing, so the best way to get Marini's intended Major Card-Hebrew Letter correspondence will be through the companion book itself.