Mara Meimaridi's Deste

Nemia

Reading through old threads in a German tarot forum, I found this post. Now look at those beautiful cards! They're like hybrid of Lenormand and a tarot-like system.

I didn't know where to put this thread because it's not pure Lenormand (it seems it's read differently and has more cards) but it doesn't resemble tarot. An oracle? It's a mixture but most strongly resembles Lenormand).

It seems that Deste is the Turkish word for cards, and Mara Meimaridi is a Greek Turk (or Turkish Greek, I don't know what the correct term would be). She's an author and her books, The Witches of Smyrna, seems to be popular in Germany (only the book shows up when I search for her works).

A blogger wrote more about the deck here. The mixture of Western and Eastern imagery is very beautiful. The spirit advisors remind me of the illuminations of Muslim manuscripts like the Qisas al Anbiya, combined with Raphael's Madonna della Sedia. I feel very strongly the wish to stick my head out of my Western bubble without loosing foothold completely.

The deck was mentioned here on the boards some twelve years ago.

Is there anyone from Turkey around here who can tell us more about this beauty???? It seems to be really hard to find. In Turkish, it's called Deste Katinanın Aşk Falı by Mara Meimaridi. I wonder how it reads and oh, I'd like to know anything anyone can tell me!

Nemia

Oooh, thank you, that's wonderful! Aren't they beautiful and fascinating?

Jen P

Reading through old threads in a German tarot forum, I found this post. Now look at those beautiful cards! They're like hybrid of Lenormand and a tarot-like system.

I didn't know where to put this thread because it's not pure Lenormand (it seems it's read differently and has more cards) but it doesn't resemble tarot. An oracle? It's a mixture but most strongly resembles Lenormand).

It seems that Deste is the Turkish word for cards, and Mara Meimaridi is a Greek Turk (or Turkish Greek, I don't know what the correct term would be). She's an author and her books, The Witches of Smyrna, seems to be popular in Germany (only the book shows up when I search for her works).

A blogger wrote more about the deck here. The mixture of Western and Eastern imagery is very beautiful. The spirit advisors remind me of the illuminations of Muslim manuscripts like the Qisas al Anbiya, combined with Raphael's Madonna della Sedia. I feel very strongly the wish to stick my head out of my Western bubble without loosing foothold completely.

The deck was mentioned here on the boards some twelve years ago.

Is there anyone from Turkey around here who can tell us more about this beauty???? It seems to be really hard to find. In Turkish, it's called Deste Katinanın Aşk Falı by Mara Meimaridi. I wonder how it reads and oh, I'd like to know anything anyone can tell me!

There is a version that is in Greek (non-reversible backs) and a version in Turkish (reversible backs). Periodically they come up on ebay and you used to be able to buy the Turkish one from Amazon.com. The Turkish one probably has better card stock, but it seems there's more information on the Greek one. They do have slightly different cards. There are some videos online and Kelly from the Truth in Story (on youtube) has videos and a cheat sheet. On her Etsy store she even offers Deste readings. There is also at least one FB group on Deste. If you can't find something, PM me and I will try to help you. I have the Turkish one, but haven't had time to work with it yet.

Nemia

Thank you, that's wonderful and very very helpful. So many resources. Amazing!

IHeartRescues

Oooh, thank you, that's wonderful! Aren't they beautiful and fascinating?

Yes I understand your attraction! (Like Jen P. I haven't yet worked w mine either.) I have the Greek cards, used in great condition but they are missing one card, but they came w spares so I may copy the card on to one of them, and they smell lightly of tobacco :) I will never part w them and they are so GORGEOUS in person. Hoping you find your deck!

Nemia

Thank you, I did! I found a used Greek copy and hope no card is missing ;-))) I also found the author's novel in German and I hope it will help me to understand the deck better.

I learned Greek a loooong time ago (around the time of Perikles himself it must have been...) and hope I still remember some bits. If not, Google translate can help. I really wanted these cards and I hope I won't be disappointed. But everyone who came in touch with them seems to love them...

kwaw

I just learnt about this deck, and plan to get one on my next visit to Izmir. In the meantime I am looking at what information is available on the deck (viewing the videos over on youtube for example).

Nemia

Maybe there's a way to unite the two threads about this deck?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=112916&highlight=deste

I apologize for opening this one - I found the other one later.

My cards have arrived. I now have the delicious task of checking the deck is complete, and trying to get to know the deck and make it feel at home. It looks very beautiful and I'm happy I found them.

I know neither Greek nor Turkish but since I can at least identify the Greek letters, it may be easier to make head and tails of these people and horses ;-))))

IHeartRescues

I just learnt about this deck, and plan to get one on my next visit to Izmir. In the meantime I am looking at what information is available on the deck (viewing the videos over on youtube for example).

Hi kwaw: don't know if you are on Facebook or if you noticed that there is a group on FB devoted to the study of this deck w extensive Files. Katina's Deste Studies is a Closed group. So you just have to ASK to join.