Do I need to master Tarot before I start learning Lenormand?

sevenfires

I'm fairly new to Tarot. I have a basic understanding of the card meanings and I'm in the process of weaning myself off of using the guide book when I do readings. I'm interested in learning Lenormand, but I don't know if I should wait until I'm more proficient with Tarot. Will it be too confusing to try to learn these two systems at once?

DownUnderNZer

Totally different systems and in how they are read.

It will be more confusing when going from one to the other if you know one too well perhaps and especially if is Tarot.

I reckon it comes down to the person really.

DND :)

sevenfires

Totally different systems and in how they are read.

It will be more confusing when going from one to the other if you know one too well perhaps and especially if is Tarot.

I reckon it comes down to the person really.

DND :)
Thanks for your response. I know the two systems are quite different. I guess I just worry that my brain won't be able to store all those card meanings! ;)

Jen P

I am a lenormand reader and just started learning tarot. They are two totally different systems. If it was me, I would wait and master tarot first - at least have it down pretty well. But,, my memory is not what it used to be. If you're young or have a good memory, then it may not matter. You just don't want to be switching your tarot head on when you're doing lenormand and you don't want to have your lenormand hat on when you're doing tarot. Tarot is easy for some people to learn and difficult for others. The same with lenormand. And it can be hard to switch from one system to the other once you've learned it. I am not trying to scare you off - you may want to get your feet wet just to see how it goes. To me, lenormand was easy. Tarot is a bit harder, but I am getting the hang of it now. The thing is there are quite a few different cards that have their own system - even playing cards (cartomancy) - which also seems harder for me to pick up. It just depends on getting into the ZONE of each system. There is no reason you can't learn more than one system, but don't be hard on yourself if you run into a few issues while learning something. Good luck!

lightpers

You don't have to master Tarot before starting Lenormand.

For practical everyday life questions, i think Lenormand suits the best. The decks sometimes cheaper for mass market edition, you can actually choose the types of Lenormand illustrations you like, the schools,

I am not saying it is much easier than Tarot but love how they make it much more simple than answers that has so much symbolisms from Tarot.

sevenfires

I am a lenormand reader and just started learning tarot. They are two totally different systems. If it was me, I would wait and master tarot first - at least have it down pretty well. But,, my memory is not what it used to be. If you're young or have a good memory, then it may not matter. You just don't want to be switching your tarot head on when you're doing lenormand and you don't want to have your lenormand hat on when you're doing tarot. Tarot is easy for some people to learn and difficult for others. The same with lenormand. And it can be hard to switch from one system to the other once you've learned it. I am not trying to scare you off - you may want to get your feet wet just to see how it goes. To me, lenormand was easy. Tarot is a bit harder, but I am getting the hang of it now. The thing is there are quite a few different cards that have their own system - even playing cards (cartomancy) - which also seems harder for me to pick up. It just depends on getting into the ZONE of each system. There is no reason you can't learn more than one system, but don't be hard on yourself if you run into a few issues while learning something. Good luck!

Thank you, you bring up some good points. I have a pretty good memory. I think I will stick with Tarot only for a few more months, then begin exploring Lenormand. In some ways, Lenormand seems more challenging to me because there are set card meanings. With Tarot, if I forget a card meaning, I can always rely on the imagery. But I am drawn to Lenormand so I won't let that deter me. Thanks again for your help!

ThtDancerGuy

I'm fairly new to Tarot. I have a basic understanding of the card meanings and I'm in the process of weaning myself off of using the guide book when I do readings. I'm interested in learning Lenormand, but I don't know if I should wait until I'm more proficient with Tarot. Will it be too confusing to try to learn these two systems at once?

I actually think it could be a good idea to learn both at the same time. I started on Tarot, had read Tarot for 5 years when I discovered and started learning Lenormand, and now I've read Tarot for like 7 years and Lenormand for almost 2 if not 2 years exactly. My issue was, when I started learning the Lenormand I distanced myself from Tarot for a few months and so my brain was set on "Lenormand mode" for that whole time – i.e. keeping my interpretations very surface level and literal, looking only at the symbol, whereas Tarot is deep and reflective and you are required to look deep into and actually at the artwork of the cards. Basically I did not keep a good balance of the two when I started on Lenormand. Then when I sort of returned to Tarot after a few months, I felt like the way I read Tarot was different, in both a good and a bad way: I felt like I started "grazing over" the Tarot images because I was so used to quickly "scanning" the Lenormand cards, whereas before I would take the time to look at and contemplate each Tarot card. It's been a full year since that and I have kept a good balance between reading both, I guess I can say now that it was just a matter of remembering that each system is different and I have to give to each what it requires – for Tarot, patience and deep intuitive contemplation; for Lenormand, quick consideration of the cards and keeping the focus on the cards together as a collective message.