The best Marseilles book to start with

Moonbow

The best resources I had were:

* The Marseilles forum here, but now with a caveat that the older threads are more helpful, so search the threads from around 2003/2004.

* The book The Tarot, by Joseph Maxwell

* The book Meditations on the Tarot, by anon

* I was fortunate to be in the first round of jmd's courses, I don't know if this was the initial basis for his book but it confirmed to me that it's about reading it in your own way. No occult, elemental, astrological etc add-ons is the way to read with it... unless, of course, you want those add-ons. If you read the threads here you will see clearly how he looks at the Marseilles and draws a way to read it.

There are also books in French which I cannot comment on.

Richard

......I was fortunate to be in the first round of jmd's courses, I don't know if this was the initial basis for his book but it confirmed to me that it's about reading it in your own way. No occult, elemental, astrological etc add-ons is the way to read with it... unless, of course, you want those add-ons. If you read the threads here you will see clearly how he looks at the Marseilles and draws a way to read it.......

The book is an expansion of a course outline which he prepared in 2007-2008.

The iconography is excellent, which is why I bought the book. However, there is no reason for anyone to be dogmatic about how to read the Marseille. The way it may have been used by fortune tellers is mostly conjecture. It is known that it was given occult correlations by Eliphas Levi, Oswald Wirth, and other esotericists.

There is no official way to read the Marseille. Do what thou wilt.

3ill.yazi

The challenge for me is I generally will go with what works, rather than make any kind of analysis. Using the RWS with the occult associations spawned by the GD and others, whatever the history, works for me. Now I have to figure out what's the best way to get readings with the TdM to be accurate.

Moonbow

LRichard you misunderstood my post, thank you for quoting it.

I was referring to the way jmd teaches the Marseilles i.e. without occult add-ons. Hence my caveat of 'unless you want to', and '...it's about reading in your own way'. And his courses went to great lengths to express that.

Richard

LRichard you misunderstood my post, thank you for quoting it.

I was referring to the way jmd teaches the Marseilles i.e. without occult add-ons. Hence my caveat of 'unless you want to', and '...it's about reading in your own way'. And his courses went to great lengths to express that.
I was criticizing JMD's attitude, not yours.

Miss Woo

I think I'm going to have to buy that Enrique Enriquez book next, and that Visconti Tarot deck that Nisaba was talking about that's like the Soprafino/Il Meneghello card.

TdM is definitely my preferred reading style. So fun! :)

alanemeriel

The Open Reading is a good book to start, I've read it and liked very much.