Nicolas Bodet

MaureenH

It's good to have such a spirited filly for a namesake. :)

MaureenH

As I think about XIII having no name and The Fool having no number, I'm also thinking of some stuff I've been reading lately by D.T. Suzuki. I really like his Introduction to Zen Buddhism. More so than The Manual and The Essays that tend more toward doctrine and intellectualizing and almost feel contradictory, but not quite. I'm thinking the Fool has some re-creation to do and XIII is that state. I can pick up what he's putting down! :)

So what does this have to do with NBodet? Depends on how you categorize things, but I thought of Eugim's comments about matter and progression of the cards, and some of my own questions and this was just more food for thought:

"There is but one straight passage open and unobstructed through and through. This is so when you surrender all--your body, your life, and all that belongs to your inmost self." And "'Once gained, eternally gained, even unto the end of time.' Yet really there is nothing gained; what you have gained is no gain, and yet there is something truly gained in this.'"

Nothing much to chew on there for the wizened on here, I'm sure, but good to consider for me as I meander on.

Bernice

Maureen,

Meander on as much as you like - love it!

Bee

P.S. Buddhism: Snap.
I think the 'gain' may be = Realization. (Which isn't the same as knowledge)

eugim

Maureen...
Wonderful your point of view and of course the quotation of D. T.Suzuki

I allways remember a Zen sentence: " I you haven t a sword I will give you one but if you have one I will took your sword away "

Wtih regard to EL MAT and XIII cards there the two more closest I think.
The first exists beyond the material world,the death only exists in this material world.
LE DIABLE is what happen between them so the material world.

Till next,

eugim

MaureenH

Hi, Bee and E.

I have no sword; I make 'the sleep of my ego-mind' my sword.

(have that code on the board above my desk :))

eugim

Hello Becky,just see the XV thread baby ...

eugim

kwaw

Magic scene with self-portrait

Self-portrait_by_Pieter-Jacobsz_van_Laer.jpg

By Pieter van Laer, whose nickname was Il Bamboccio (ugly doll, puppet) among the Bentvueghels (association of Flemish Artists in Rome, whose initiation rites involved stripping down to a loin-cloth and sitting astride a barrel during the drinking bouts of the Bacchanalian society -- see old posts above).

The magician seems terrified of his success (demonic hands appearing from the right). Note the heart on paper bottom right corner of the 'magician's/artist's' desk.