Tarot Minchiate

frelkins

I love Minkies & everybody knows it's my main reading deck. I've been reading it since at least 2007, when Le Fanu started his thread. :D

Nina*

I love Minkies & everybody knows it's my main reading deck. I've been reading it since at least 2007, when Le Fanu started his thread. :D

Which thread please?

greatdane

Am getting the Minchiate by Il Meneghello

Thanks to Penthasilia's generosity, I am getting this deck and I believe a book may be coming with it. I have never even held this deck before SO...ATers who use this a lot...what are your suggestions to an ABSOLUTE newbie with this deck? THANKS for any suggestions. It should be arriving shortly and I want to give it a great warm welcome!

PathWalker

Using it as my deck of the week this week :)

Not sure which version you're getting (?) but I do really enjoy the cards, they stretch me in a reading, because they are partly unillustrated like Marseille pips, and then again have some 'new' cards to consider the meanings of, like the zodiacs and elements. So I read it intuitively, and feel slightly freed of the tarot interpretations of familiar cards too.

There are some threads about it, although the info is scattered about a bit amongst chatter, but worth taking a look maybe?

Enjoy, and happy to chat with you about it when you've got it.

Pathwalker

greatdane

Thanks Pathwalker it's the Minchiate Etruria

The one by Il Meneghello. That's all I know right now. But it should be here maybe next week. I was gifted it and I'm thrilled to check it out! But like you said there is SO much on decks here, I wanted a good, easy entry starting point. I know it will take some study, but I wanted to find out a little bit more, maybe how to just BEGIN....

dancing_moon

Congratulations on your new deck! :party:

I've been reading Minchiate for a little while now, and I just love this deck. I don't have any problem with the additional Majors, because the Virtues, Elements, and Zodiac signs are pretty easy to understand and interpret. Conveniently, this deck can be very literal at times: I once got Aquarius as the card for the day, and on that day I did a lot of plant-watering. :D

I read the Minors using the pips-as-trumps system (tweaked to the changed order of the trumps, of course ;) ) and a lot of intuition. In a recent reading, I got 7 of Coins as advice. 7 is Strength in this deck, and, as it turned out, I had a period of low income and had to cut on unnecessary 'comfort' purchases. :D

But, as usual, it'll take a lot of playing and experimenting to arrive at your own comfortable style with them. :)

Good luck, and have a lot of fun! Hope to see you in the Minchiate Circle some time soon. :D

PathWalker

Nice clear illustrations :) Good starting point.

There's a list here
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=638772&postcount=5
about Minchiate cards for starters, but not all cards are covered.

There's a set by Brian Williams which has a really good book on Michiate

http://www.amazon.com/The-Minchiate-Tarot-Renaissance-Astrological/dp/0892816511

the book is super, with or without his version of the cards.

Just look through them all, figure out what they all are, see what you think of them.

Sometimes there's a Minchiate reading circle, that's good practise, and would make good reading for how other folks saw particular cards,

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=201840&highlight=Minchiate+exchange

this is the latest one to give you an idea.

See what you think you need once you've got the deck in your hands, and then ask away - there are folks more experienced with it than me :)

x

greatdane

Thank you Dancing Moon and Pathwalker!

I can't wait to get this deck. I am sure I will have other questions. I didn't know if there was a kind of Minchiate for beginners book :). I think I will be getting a book with it, but not sure which one. It's so exciting to be learning something new!

firecatpickles

How did I miss this thread?!

Glad to see someone else, frelkins, who uses this as a main deck...

The reason that the Mincki is often not considered tarot per se is that there is no known tradition to pin to it historically. Personally, I view it as a tarot-oracle hybrid deck.

A few (many?) years ago, I asked Solandia where to post Minchiate readings as I was unsure--oracle or tarot. She made the determination that it belonged in the tarot section because of its versatile ability to be pared down (ie cards removed) and read with it exactly as you would a tarot deck. One cannot do this with oracles.

Anyway, great thread, and I love my Minchi's and they give exceedingly accurate readings, IMAO.

Off to have a look-see at rachelcat's suggestion.

See you in the Minchi Circle very soon!

conurelover

I can't wait to get this deck. I am sure I will have other questions. I didn't know if there was a kind of Minchiate for beginners book :). I think I will be getting a book with it, but not sure which one. It's so exciting to be learning something new!

You will love Minchiate. I did it for two months as a Deck of the Month. Although mine is the Lo Scarabeo version.

The game was still played in Northern Italy up to the 1940s. At one point it crossed over to divination I don't think they know...

Enjoy your deck! :)