Valet of coins interpretations

BSwett

I've always seen in this young knave, the representation of someone with a natural ability to turn his material visions into fertile seeds. Basically, what he holds above, so below, it turns into solid reality. He is young, maybe a bit naive and obsessed with his coin, but his fresh perspective puts his eye right on the money.

Today I saw a different perspective on this card. More like someone that is so focused on some material aspect, and holds it so close to his face, that he is missing out on other opportunities that lay right at his feet.
Hmm....
Curious about this court card. The only one with two pieces of his suit.

Word?
B

Abrac

BSwett, I found this old thread which has some interesting ideas.

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=8910&highlight=valet+de+denier

There seem to be two schools of thought regarding the lower coin; one says it's buried in the ground and the other that it's on top of the ground. The obvious is that it's on top of the ground, but I can also see how a clever artist made it so it's under the ground but also visible to the observer. Why this card is the only one with two symbols of its suit is indeed a puzzler. :)

Richard

Valet de Deniers (ISIS version):
ETA. The color symbolism of the ISIS: green = earth, yellow = air, blue = water, red = fire, light blue = aether.

Attachments

• valet_deniers.jpg
    valet_deniers.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 247

Abrac

I found an unusual picture of the Page of Coins in Kaplan's Encyclopedia, Vol.2. It's from an uncut sheet of Italian cards, but it's uncertain if they're tarot cards or playing cards. The Page is holding a coin up in his right hand, but what's that in his left hand? Is it two coins? The sheet isn't dated. The next appearance of a Page with more than one coins would seem to be the Noblet from the 17th century, so it's a tradition that started well before Marteau.

Page of Coins

Richard

I found an unusual picture of the Page of Coins in Kaplan's Encyclopedia, Vol.2. It's from an uncut sheet of Italian cards, but it's uncertain if they're tarot cards or playing cards. The Page is holding a coin up in his right hand, but what's that in his left hand? Is it two coins? The sheet isn't dated. The next appearance of a Page with more than one coins would seem to be the Noblet from the 17th century, so it's a tradition that started well before Marteau.

Page of Coins
Thanks for the link. The Conver was 18th century (1760), so it obviously was not original with Conver. Interesting.

Abrac

Thank you LRichard. Conver was who I was looking for, not Marteau. I get those two mixed up for some strange reason.

Richard

Thank you LRichard. Conver was who I was looking for, not Marteau. I get those two mixed up for some strange reason.
I get them mixed up too. Marteau was the guy who popularized the Conver.