Presentation & Packaging

Winterchild

Who thinks this is important?

There are so many small press and self published decks out now, all of which usually come in the mail, and the packaging ranges from wonderful to "oh... is that it?"

Ok so I guess it shouldn't matter, after all it's the deck we are after, but it does make me feel differently about a deck...It's kind of like when CD's first came out, they felt such a let down after buying vinyl with all the sleeve notes and added extras.

I appreciate nice wrapping, a thank you note, an extra card maybe... and I realise that with many decks being printed and sent straight from the publisher this is beyond the artists control, but receiving a gorgeous deck in a plain shrink wrap raincoat somehow feels like an injustice to the deck itself...

Or am I just nuts?

To any artists reading this who add that extra love... know it is very much appreciated :eek:)

katey

There is something so special about getting a deck from a creator that is thoughtfully packaged. Even just some tissue paper and a cute sticker can make all the difference.

JadePixie

I haven't yet bought a self published deck, but that being said I'd love for all Tarot Cards to come in a sturdy attractive box if possible :)

SarahJoy

Packaging matters. It's a huge part of product presentation. Look at how many "unboxing" videos there are; how much time and effort companies put into their products.

For indie decks, all the small touches matter. Part of the attraction is that we're buying from a real person, not an anonymous company, and all the hand-done details make the product feel more personal.

Oh, and some sort of container to store the cards is essential. I'm sick of making tuck boxes.

witchofglass

Oh, and some sort of container to store the cards is essential. I'm sick of making tuck boxes.
Tuck boxes should be the minimum. Makeplayingcards.com just started offering tins for bridge/poker sized cards and I'm incredibly mad that they aren't doing that for tarot size. I'm really rough on the outer packaging of my decks because they get thrown in my carry bag and hauled around for one-the-go readings; standard tuck boxes just don't last me very long.

Winterchild

Glad I am not alone!

SarahJoy, you are right about the unboxing vids... I forgot about that aspect... good for sales... tho I have seen a couple where they open the envelope and out comes just a shrink wrapped desk and their faces fall...

We love the anticipation...!

I don't even mind the not getting a box as I make bags for them, but some kind of surprise factor is soooo good!

reall

I haven't yet bought a self published deck, but that being said I'd love for all Tarot Cards to come in a sturdy attractive box if possible :)

amen to that!:)) sadly not many POD offer good box!x,x so maybe best route for selfpublisher is to order deck and box separately?x,x but then you get crazy shipping cost!x.x ;))

imo it make an impression when you get your order all wrapped up like gift and nice box and all extra postcards bookmarks etc!^^(like how PS do it!^^ and their clear boxes! wish they offer that for tarot size!^^) but if your deck is good and people luv it even plain white box would work!^^ at least thats my case!^^ but imo bigger problem is to get people to actually see your deck! because how will anyone buy it if don't even know it exist?x,x (learned that from my selfpublishing expirience!x,x all copies I ordered are sold locally but net sale is not so poplular!x,x ;))) wish we can get a deal with bookdepository!^^ lolz :))

kittydorkdork

I really really appreciate good packaging and a good box. Like the ones that Starchild and Lumina came in? Ugh... so nice. I wish that was the default.

But I can also totally live with just a plain stupid tuck box. It ain't sexy but it's not a deal breaker.

gregory

I can totally live with shrink wrap. It also keeps the cost down. Bags and boxes are cheap in the dollar store. And FANCY boxes are harder to store and take space. What I want is a nice DECK.

Winterchild

I can totally live with shrink wrap. It also keeps the cost down. Bags and boxes are cheap in the dollar store. And FANCY boxes are harder to store and take space. What I want is a nice DECK.

If this were usually the case I wouldn't mind, but often the shrink wrapped decks with no packaging are no cheaper... I dont have it, but The Cosmos Tarot for example is in a beutiful sturdy box, has extra cards and is much cheaper than many of the shrink wrapped straight from the printer decks...

but I don't need a box, I just like the love :)