Yes-or-No question reading.

Hannafate

I tried to use search to see if this was already being discussed, but I couldn't find it, so if it's a duplicate, please forgive me.

I often do quick three card readings that give definitive answers to yes-or-no questions. I have found them surprisingly accurate, and very useful for clarifying difficult aspects of larger readings.

The method is to have the Querent write the question. Always write the question. Be as specific as possible. "Charge" the cards with the question by setting the deck on top of it, before shuffling and cutting the cards. Lay out three cards, left to right, without turning them.

Cards laid out right side up are a "yes" and cards reversed are a "no". The middle card counts twice.

So the possible answers are:

Yes
Probably (the yes side of maybe)
Maybe (odds are exactly even)
Probably not (the no side of maybe)
No

The ordinary (not reversed) meaning of each card explains the why of the answer. They may also suggest a course of action.

Does anyone else use this technique, and what do you think of it?

fire queen

very interesting lay out. As of myself; If I were to use the lay out, I would have rather kept the reverse cars as reverse in interpretation. I am going to give it a try

Hannafate

Although I use reversed interpretations on other spreads, for this one, it works best to read them ordinary.

For example, in a reading for "Will I win the lottery?", if the cards were:

10 of cups (R), Wheel of Fortune (R), 3 of Pentacles (R)

Taking the upright meaning of each card as a reason to say no, I would read the answer as:

"No. The odds are against it (Wheel of Fortune), money is not what you should seek for happiness, (10 of cups) and you have the skills to get out there and earn yourself a fortune anyway. (3 of pentacles)"

Using the usual reversed meanings, the answer would be something more like, "You have bad luck, your friends don't support you, and you are just trying to get around working". The reading is very similar, but somehow, using the reversed meanings in this particular spread always comes out unpleasant.

littlestar

Hmmmm forgive me for being a bit blonde here but i am a bit lost.

I'd love to try it but dont understand how.

From what i think i understand is:

1/ I need to write the question i want answered on paper

2/ Take the deck of cards and sit them on top of the paper with the question written on it.

3/ This is where i get confused, do we not shuffle the deck? But pull the first 3 cards and then lay them left to right?? Without turning them.

Now i am lost from here, what do we do then, shuffle the rest of the deck or turn the cards already pulled over?

Hannafate

After you set the deck on the question, you can pick it up again, so that you can shuffle it like you ordinarily would for any reading.

Then lay out three cards. 1,2,3.

That's all there is to it.

When I say "don't turn them" I am referring to the habit some people have of always turning the cards right side up while laying them out. Just lay them how they come off the deck.

littlestar

Hannafate said:
After you set the deck on the question, you can pick it up again, so that you can shuffle it like you ordinarily would.
Thanks for that. I am a bit lost, i am going to try it now.

Niklas Zweig

Hello Hannafate,

I think that's a clever idea for a spread. Especially since over here people tend to say they can't answer yes-no-questions. Or even that you mustn't ask them. Now, this is something I will use.

It also seems useful for saying how certain the outcome of a some spread is. Meaning: You do a spread and read it and part of it is the "outcome". Now, how certain is that particular outcome? I think I would then omit to read a reason for the forecast, because the cards would already have been read for the original reading. Could be done for three card spreads and adopted to spreads with more cards.

Thank you a lot
Niklas

Hannafate

I think part of why this works is because it includes the "maybes" of life. The future is fluid, and just knowing more about it can change the outcome.

For instance, a question such as, "Will the storefront at 123 Paradise be a good place for my business?" will probably not get a complete "yes" answer, no matter how wonderful the location is. There is bound to be a "no" vote from a card that points out that there are other locations that may be as good or better. (of course, if it is a terrible location, the reading will say so quite clearly)

I have tried similar readings using four cards, each with one vote, instead of three, but the answers didn't seem as concise. With three cards, the center card is the "main" reason for the answer, with the other two cards modifying it. Which is why I read the center card first. (see the sample reading in my earlier post)

Niklas Zweig

I also like that it gives a reason.

In my view the reason limits the scope of the forecast. If I get a "Yes, because ..." it might be that the "yes" part will prove wrong, but the failure might come from factors not seen in the spread.

Also the reason can help assess the trustworthyness of the forecast: If I get "Yes, because you are well prepared.", but I know I'm not prepared at all, then this will cast a light on the forecast - and it might hint at a sensible course of action as well.

Nilkas

Hannafate

I am finally finding my way around this place...

And this spread IS discussed in another thread. I don't remember where I picked it up, but it is apparently published by Mary Greer in one of her books.

Here's the thread where that is mentioned.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=33819