Shining Tribe

Alta

Moongold pointed this thread out to me. I guess it is interesting how we influence each other. I originally bought this deck because amyel liked it, and we had decided to do some very in-depth readings together. Then, after reading some of HOLMES's posts, I read a Forest of Souls and now use this deck preferentialy., though not exclusively. I would be wonderful to hear Rachel discuss this in person.

I agree with amyel, that this deck is best suited for questions of spirit, and inner motivation. For more factual readings I have other decks that I would use.

I guess this is a personal reaction, but I find that the images seem to almost glow 'hot' when I read with this deck. A little weird eh?

I also found the Place/ Knower/ Gift/ Speaker group a little strange at first, and they were the last cards I came to terms with. I got into them one at a time, with the Gift of Rivers being the first. I kept wanting to pull back to Page/ Knight/ Queen/ King but after a while I realized that she meant more the essence of what they represented. Just like yin is not just female energy and yang not just male energy, and that the 'shaded side of the river' and 'banners shining in the sun' are more than they appear. They are partly energetic aspects of the suits themselves.
hehe, likely that all made about zero sense. Hey, I had a tetanus shot today, maybe I am feverish. lol

BlueLotus

lawguy51 said:
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problems trying to differentiate the Vision cards. I try to think of them as Place-passive, Knower-active, Gift-essence, Speaker-manifestation.

For some masochistic reason, I've been using Reversals when using the Shining Tribe. And I don't use Reversals. I have a real revulsion to seeing the cards upside down. But something Rachel said in the book intrigued me. She said you could just turn them around, as if activating the card. So I decided that reversed cards were ones that you really wanted to concentrate on in a reading. Sort of like a 'hey, pay special attention to me!'. Or I liked her other idea. Toss the reversed card until you get an upright one. I think I'll just go back to keeping the deck un-reversed. I don't know how you reversal people manage the cards in a reversed deck. Ah, but that's another subject.

Lawguy51
I am new to this deck, but I have already started reading from the book, and doing readings with it.
Funny, that although I do not normally like or use reversals, it just seems quite natural to start using them for this particular deck, and I really like the results.
Today I did the special 'Leap' year spread, which I used only upright cards, by discarding all reversed cards and preparing for this spread with the rest of the deck, as this is what Rachel herself suggested for this particular spread.
What are you impressions so far regarding this deck and book? Anything changed?

Shade

This is one of those decks that I REALLY wanted to connect with but haven't yet. Like a few others I bought the deck while reading Forest of Souls. It isn't a deck that I've used for regular divinitory readings. Inher books Pollack describes it as a sacred tarot and I've tried to use it in that context. I did have one particularly "oh wow" breakthrough reading I did when there was a change in structure in my order. But typically when I work with it, as others have said, I come up with "I'm transforming at a deep level... and i should look for inner messages." I am going to let my relationship with this deck unfold at its own rate rather than try and just cram it all in.

jema

i find that i prefer to use this deck in spreads that i leave open a long time. these cards need a lot of time to really talk to me and i can't stress it in any way.
i also read it in a very one-card-at-a-time fashion and not don't think too much about what cards are beside it.
that is why i think it may be a deck that would benefit from using reversals instead of EDs at least for me.

Thea Lynx

Shining Tribe is a very special deck for me, Lawguy. It is the deck that was used in my reading with Rachel last year, which was a very powerful and moving experience - it was also my first ever reading! After that day, I mostly used the cards from my reading for meditation purposes, but this year on my birthday I did a spread with Shining Tribe and worked with it for the rest of the week and was amazed and how wonderfully it spoke to me alone. I do not yet know if I will come to use it as a regular reading deck or keep it for special occasions - but it is wonderful and I feel very fortunate to have been introduced to it by its creator.

Thea Lynx

BlueLotus

I want to love this deck so much and I am really trying very hard, reading the cards everyday, and deciphering their meanings according to the book.

There is a lot of difference in these meanings and many or most other decks I own, and I wonder if it is really worth learning them, just for the sake of this deck :confused:

It is hard work, but I will go along, because I am not one to give up and because I don't want this deck to end at the back of that drawer. Does anyone else feel that Ms. Pollack is testing our patience...???

So, has anyone been doing regular readings with this deck? if so,, how do you view these readings as opposed to others from other decks, i.e. RWS clones, ......etc.

Is the hard work really worth it? And how can you recall all these different meanings. I guess one needs to dedicate full time solely studying this deck, at least for a while. I did not have any hard time studying any deck, except for two up till now, i.e. Navigators of the Mystic Sea, and the THOTH ( but I am getting there with this one ).

Any input?

Moongold

Gee Feebie ~

Why you hangin' in there hon, if it's so hard?

I haven't used the deck for a while but I love it. I used to use it mainly for personal readings but have read a couple of times for others with it.

I had to use the book a lot and if I went back to use the deck again I guess I'd need to use the book again. I used to do a three card spead from this deck once a week so got to know some of the cards really well.

The learning would be that much better if you enjoyed it though. :)

Many blessings

Moongold

BlueLotus

Moongold said:
Gee Feebie ~

Why you hangin' in there hon, if it's so hard?

I haven't used the deck for a while but I love it. I used to use it mainly for personal readings but have read a couple of times for others with it.

I had to use the book a lot and if I went back to use the deck again I guess I'd need to use the book again. I used to do a three card spead from this deck once a week so got to know some of the cards really well.

The learning would be that much better if you enjoyed it though. :)

Many blessings

Moongold

Thank you Moongold
I guess I will ease up on this one and read once or twice a week, instead of daily readings.

Alta

Hi Feebie, I would agree that this deck is better for readings which you turn over in your mind for a few days rather than trying to grab quick daily meanings. I love this deck and whenever I use it it is for longer readings that need thought. Marion

Suriel

Shining tribe tarot deck is my second deck (I ahve only two decks)....It is really wonderful, those symbols, images and how Rachel Pollack has interpret them..

However, i found that this deck is extremely hard to do a reading for some daily life questions, such as "what should i do to ...." or "How would the relationship develops?"....

It seems that this deck is designed too specifically for spiritual readings.....and i found it hard to adapt the meanings of the cards into the question......Always make my head spins.....

Anyway, i'm still studying this deck and i will not give it up (it costs much!:p)......Ah, and please, if anyone have some useful advice for me, please pm me...thanks...:)

Suriel