Zan and BC's Excellent Thoth Adventure: In the beginning....

Le Fanu

zan_chan said:
By the way, Le Fanu, as you're the expert on bags, what sort of bag does one keep the Thoth in? I haven't quite figured that out yet... I have a perfectly-sized knit bag that emmsma made for me, but it almost seems too warm and homey for Thoth. Hmm...
ooh, don't get me started. One of three types (and knitwear isn't one of them, sorry... ;))

Leather. I don't know why - call me kinky - but I think Uncle Al would prefer leather. My pocket Thoth is in a beautiful old soft-leather cigarette case which fits just perfectly.

My most used ones (a large trimmed deluze one and the 3-Magus one) are in - what else? - chocolate brown velvet Sulis bags lined with old gold silk.

I also have a 1986 German 3-Magus one in a kind of no frills hippy/Tibetan bag which I think works quite well. For Uncle Al's nomadic, explorer side...

zan_chan

So is the consensus that the trimmed large makes the best reading deck? I know I was very happy to be free of the titles/keywords after I had trimmed my Haindl, but they somehow seem more vital on the Thoth. No?

Do we really think it can be appropriate to read with Thoth before getting into the research/study bit? If I wanted to join a reading exchange going by the images alone, I wouldn't be horrifically offending the hardcore Thothers? It seems so...inauthentic...

Bat Chicken

I have no plans to read for a while. Maybe after the first month. I have done readings and they were very powerful with this deck. But seem to struggle trying to study a deck and read it. I am not much of a reader, I think.

gregory

zan_chan said:
So is the consensus that the trimmed large makes the best reading deck? I know I was very happy to be free of the titles/keywords after I had trimmed my Haindl, but they somehow seem more vital on the Thoth. No?

Do we really think it can be appropriate to read with Thoth before getting into the research/study bit? If I wanted to join a reading exchange going by the images alone, I wouldn't be horrifically offending the hardcore Thothers? It seems so...inauthentic...
The trimmed one you can see the geometry. (DO NOT round the corners or you lose that !)

And - er - I read with it from time to time :| And I know less than nothing ! I find it co-operates anyway !

Bat Chicken

Are there large Thoth's still available? I am thinking that study with the trimmed version based on Gregory's comment is a very good idea.

zan_chan

Bat Chicken said:
Are there large Thoth's still available? I am thinking that study with the trimmed version based on Gregory's comment is a very good idea.

I think they're just recently re-available. Easily orderable (good word, right?) from the USG website. EDT: Here ya go: http://www.usgamesinc.com/product.php?productid=404&cat=0&page=1

There is ONE copy of the Konigsfurt Thoth on Amazon Japan. That's a sign, right? Gotta do it?

anubis777

Hello Bat & Zan i just wanted to tell you that all the info in the books written about the thoth tarot are bogus & very misleading the true meanings of the cards & there astrology are a very guarded secret by the O.T.O. Anyone wishing or hoping to learn the true meanings of the cards are pretty much out of luck b/c any member in the order will never break there oath of secrecy to anyone. Did you notice in Duquettes book how he vaguely gives a very light explanation on some of the minors & while on others he says he doesn't know? Beleive me he knows but will never give up that info to anyone. I contacted someone from a magical order(was not the o.t.o) & this person was nice enough to explain to me every minor card with the unique astrology of the cards & i was pretty much amazed b/c after 16yrs of reading wth the thoth deck i thought i knew the cards very well but i was so wrong. Even the seemingly appearing planet & sign & sephira is so different such as the 3/cups Mercury in Cancer. You can look up Mercury in Cancer in every astrology book written & you will still not have the secret meaning of Mercury in Cancer & how it brings Abundance. After getting this info i had to purge everything out of my head & start all over again the astrology in these cards are truely magical but are kept very secret from the public. Just like the 4/wands every single meaning states tact/gentleness in completion of work well i am here to tell you that the meaning is 100 times different than that. It's a completion all right but one that nobody would ever figure out without knowing the secret meanings of the venus decan of aries & the jupiter/chesed influence on the card. I cannot share this info b/c i swore i would never give it out so its still possible to read with these cards & get accurate info. In the bot crowley states that once you learn the secret attributions the cards leap into life & he was very correct about that so good luck & hope you may find the info your looking for.

Bat Chicken

zan_chan said:
I think they're just recently re-available. Easily orderable (good word, right?) from the USG website. EDT: Here ya go: http://www.usgamesinc.com/product.php?productid=404&cat=0&page=1

There is ONE copy of the Konigsfurt Thoth on Amazon Japan. That's a sign, right? Gotta do it?
Ordering another large Thoth and I found a new copy of Snuffin both for $30 (total that is). It's going to take me hours to cut this thing down, isn't it....

So before I buy them... Is there anything else we might need as a recommended support for this?

zan_chan

Bat Chicken said:
Ordering another large Thoth and I found a new copy of Snuffin both for $30 (total that is). It's going to take me hours to cut this thing down, isn't it....

So before I buy them... Is there anything else we might need as a recommended support for this?

Hmmmm....not that I can think of. I do love having stuff to buy though :p

And I knooooow...trimming does take forever. And I always tell myself to do it a little at a time, but I never do. I sit down for 2 or 3 hours and get it all over with and then hate myself for it afterwards haha.

Bat Chicken

Have we a reliable astrology resource? Do we need it? I honestly have nothing on that or kabalah. There is Adam McLean's site for alchemy...