oracle noob confused

beachcomb

Hello :D

I've been reading tarot and playing cards for the last year and I really like them alot but while at Borders today I saw oracle decks and got to thinking what is an oracle deck? Can I just pull a card and think about what is on it and apply that to my life/sistuation? Is there a set number of cards to a set? is there a theme or can it be a mix of themes (school, work, life, spirit world)?

A woman in the section told me that all they are is "key word cards" and I would just pull one out for clarity or guidance. If they are key words what are these words? Can I use them with my tarot (or playing cards) or only by themselves?

I looked for books but the section at Borders was pretty trashed from shoppers so i thought I would come to you for help.

I'm so confused, but to be honest I love the idea of "key word cards".

afrosaxon

Oracles are very different from tarot.

For one, there is no set numbers like in tarot (where all decks have approximately 78 cards: 56 minors and 22 majors). Oracle decks are also not separated into majors and minors; there are no separations, period. I have oracle decks that have 25 cards, 52 cards, 105 cards. :D

Second, oracles can be anything: words, pictures, words and pictures. The Dolphin Divination Deck is comprised of keywords only. The Crystal Oracle just has pictures of crystals with only the name of the crystal on the card.

Third, oracles can be used to read on any aspect of your life: just like tarot. And they can also be used for daily draws--again, just like tarot.

Fourth, oracles come in almost any theme you'd like: flowers, crystals, words, animals; myth/cultural (Egyptian, Native American, Celtic). There's something for everyone.

You can even use oracles in any tarot spread, including those listed in the Tarot Spreads section. Most oracle decks include spreads for use with that deck...and those spreads, in turn, can be used with tarot as well.

Some people even do tarot readings and use oracles as clarifiers, and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

T.

FaireMaiden

All of the above, *vbs*, and here's the pics of an oracle deck so you can see how the Title and Keyword, as divinitory descriptions, relate to the artist's image... In this case, 'The Wicca Pack'

http://69.34.198.122/Packs/Wicca Pack/vlst.php

p.s. I love oracles, *vbs*

lightbug

Any non-tarot deck (and sometimes other divination systems such as I-ching coins and rune stones) are called "oracles" informally.

In addition to the above information - I would add that almost all Oracle decks come with an accompanying book or leaflet that describes in detail the meaning of the cards. Some cards as the above example by Fair Maiden have "keywords" or the general meaning of the card printed right on the card and others don't, but virtually all decks have much more detailed meanings, expanded interpretations and guide for reading them in the accompanying book.
It's for that reason that many people feel they are easier to "read" than tarot.

Also such decks can be designed especially for divination, inspiration, meditation, "affirmations" etc. :)

*edit -- I wanted to ask: what does *vbs* mean?

FaireMaiden

*s* smile
*vbs* very big smile
*lol* laughing out loud
*g* grin
*rofl* rolling on floor laughing
*roflmao* rolling on floor laughing my a$$ off

stuff like that there...

Aulruna

I politely disagree with the notion that there can't be a separation in oracle decks.

In fact in many of them there is.

All the decks with a correspondence to playing cards (e.g. the Lenormand cards) have a suit structure and court cards (more obvious in those decks where the playing card is actually incorporated in the image).

Other oracle systems can also be divided within themselves, for example:

- Good Witch/Bad Witch: separated in "good" and "bad" (or rather, challenging) witches
- Wisdom of Avalon: eight Messengers, 18 Animal Guides, five Faery Guides, and 21 Markers on the Sacred Journey
- Moon Oracle (Astrop/Smith): divided into moon phases, moon mansions, and lunar goddesses.

It depends on the underlying system really.

Why don't you just browse Aeclectic's oracle section for a glimpse into the diverse world of oracle decks:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/oracles.shtml

(By the way, non-card-based divination systems like runes or bones or tea-leaves are called "Divination" here at Aeclectic... in other places, those too can be called oracles.)

afrosaxon

Aulruna said:
I politely disagree with the notion that there can't be a separation in oracle decks.

In fact in many of them there is.

All the decks with a correspondence to playing cards (e.g. the Lenormand cards) have a suit structure and court cards (more obvious in those decks where the playing card is actually incorporated in the image).

Other oracle systems can also be divided within themselves, for example:

- Good Witch/Bad Witch: separated in "good" and "bad" (or rather, challenging) witches
- Wisdom of Avalon: eight Messengers, 18 Animal Guides, five Faery Guides, and 21 Markers on the Sacred Journey
- Moon Oracle (Astrop/Smith): divided into moon phases, moon mansions, and lunar goddesses.

DOH! *smacks self on forehead* I completely forgot about the Lenormand and other playing-card type of decks.

I didn't know about divisions with the others, and I should have figured: my Egyptian Pyramid Oracle has different "suits" (five of 'em).

I guess I just think of "tarot" and "non-tarot" and keep it moving. :D

Thanks for the clarification (and correction), Aulruna.

T.

beachcomb

afrosaxon said:
Oracles are very different from tarot.

For one, there is no set numbers like in tarot (where all decks have approximately 78 cards: 56 minors and 22 majors). Oracle decks are also not separated into majors and minors; there are no separations, period. I have oracle decks that have 25 cards, 52 cards, 105 cards. :D

Second, oracles can be anything: words, pictures, words and pictures. The Dolphin Divination Deck is comprised of keywords only. The Crystal Oracle just has pictures of crystals with only the name of the crystal on the card.

Third, oracles can be used to read on any aspect of your life: just like tarot. And they can also be used for daily draws--again, just like tarot.

Fourth, oracles come in almost any theme you'd like: flowers, crystals, words, animals; myth/cultural (Egyptian, Native American, Celtic). There's something for everyone.

You can even use oracles in any tarot spread, including those listed in the Tarot Spreads section. Most oracle decks include spreads for use with that deck...and those spreads, in turn, can be used with tarot as well.

Some people even do tarot readings and use oracles as clarifiers, and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

T.

THANK YOU so much for this :D i was wondering how they were used with tarot cards and how the themes worked.

beachcomb

FaireMaiden said:
All of the above, *vbs*, and here's the pics of an oracle deck so you can see how the Title and Keyword, as divinitory descriptions, relate to the artist's image... In this case, 'The Wicca Pack'

http://69.34.198.122/Packs/Wicca Pack/vlst.php

p.s. I love oracles, *vbs*

THANKS :D i went and looked at a bunch of decks but didn't really see any that connected to me, except the art deco deck but that seems unavaliable so i think i'll keep looking.

beachcomb

lightbug said:
Any non-tarot deck (and sometimes other divination systems such as I-ching coins and rune stones) are called "oracles" informally.

In addition to the above information - I would add that almost all Oracle decks come with an accompanying book or leaflet that describes in detail the meaning of the cards. Some cards as the above example by Fair Maiden have "keywords" or the general meaning of the card printed right on the card and others don't, but virtually all decks have much more detailed meanings, expanded interpretations and guide for reading them in the accompanying book.
It's for that reason that many people feel they are easier to "read" than tarot.

Also such decks can be designed especially for divination, inspiration, meditation, "affirmations" etc. :)

*edit -- I wanted to ask: what does *vbs* mean?

Thanks :D Its nice to know that they come with a book, there is nothing I hate more then getting a deck and then having to then order the book if its even avaliable. so its nice it comes together, much easier.