Book of Thoth Study Group #1: Bibliographical Note

Aeon418

In other words, it was a self-bestowed grade that was later acknowledged by a higher ranking GD member. Right?
This is another area where that grade list is strange. In parts it looks like Crowley has done some retrospective re-dating. Maybe the passage of time and hindsight led him to reconsider some events and their significance. Crowley's original claim to Major Adeptship was in 1900, during the time he spent in Mexico immediately after the Golden Dawn debacle.

Whether it was 1900 or 1904, confirmation of Crowley's attainments took place when he hooked up once again with his one time mentor and Golden Dawn superior, George Cecil Jones.
LIBER CAUSÆ said:
19. Returning to England, he laid his achievements humbly at the feet of a certain adept D.D.S., who welcomed him brotherly and admitted his title to the grade which he had so hardly won.

Zephyros

Isn't it a bit strange, his desire for approval from an organization that was not only defunct but one he also had a hand in making so?

I know he based himself on this grade structure ever after, I'm just saying that it would have been natural of him to do something like invent some grade and to give it to himself.

Aeon418

Isn't it a bit strange, his desire for approval from an organization that was not only defunct but one he also had a hand in making so?
The answer to that question, and more, is contained in Liber LXI vel Causae. Crowley wasn't seeking approval from any old mundane institution. He was seeking admission to what he called in Liber Causae, the Eternal and Invisible Order that hath no name among men.

In Crowley's eyes the mundane outer order of the Golden Dawn was only deemed to be valid to the extent that it was in contact with this Invisible Order.
Liber Causae said:
13. In 1900 one P., a brother, instituted a rigorous test of S.R.M.D. on the one side and the Order on the other.
14. He discovered that S.R.M.D., though a scholar of some ability and a magician of remarkable powers, had never attained complete initiation: and further had fallen from his original place, he having imprudently attracted to himself forces of evil too great and terrible for him to withstand.
The claim of the Order that the true adepts were in charge of it was definitely disproved.
15. In the Order, with two certain exceptions and two doubtful ones, he found no persons prepared for initiation of any sort.
16. He thereupon by his subtle wisdom destroyed both the Order and its chief.
G.C. Jones is one of the "two certain exceptions" mentioned in section 15. Although the Golden Dawn may have lost it's claim to authority for the reasons given in Liber Causae, Crowley still saw Jones as a genuine point of contact with the Invisible Order.

Subsequently Crowley and Jones began work on a new teaching vehicle to replace the defunct Golden Dawn. And thus the A.'.A.'. system was born. But even then they felt they lacked authority.
Liber Causae said:
20. Thereupon these two adepts conferred together, saying: May it not be written that the tribulations shall be shortened? Wherefore they resolved to establish a new Order which should be free from the errors and deceits of the former one.
21. Without Authority they could not do this, exalted as their rank was among adepts. They resolved to prepare all things, great and small, against that day when such Authority should be received by them, since they knew not where to seek for higher adepts than themselves, but knew that the true way to attract the notice of such was to equilibrate the symbols. The temple must be builded before the God can indwell it.
All this time Crowley was working on what he called the Augoeides invocations. It was his success in this endeavour (K&C of HGA) that granted Authority upon the order. Contact with the Secret Chiefs had been re-established.
Liber Causae said:
29. Also one V.V.V.V.V. arose, an exalted adept of the rank of Master of the Temple (or this much He disclosed to the Exempt Adepts) and His utterance is enshrined in the Sacred Writings.
30. Such are Liber Legis, Liber Cordis Cincti Serpente, Liber Liberi vel Lapidis Lazuli and such others whose existence may one day be divulged unto you. Beware lest you interpret them either in the Light or in the darkness, for only in L.V.X. may they be understood.
I know he based himself on this grade structure ever after, I'm just saying that it would have been natural of him to do something like invent some grade and to give it to himself.
The Book of Lies said:
ΚΕΦΑΛΗ ΜΑ

CORN BEEF HASH

In V.V.V.V.V. is the Great Work perfect.
Therefore none is that pertaineth not to V.V.V.V.V.
In any may he manifest; yet in one hath he chosen to manifest; and this one hath given His ring as a Seal of Authority to the Work of the A∴A∴ through the colleagues of FRATER PERDURABO.
But this concerns themselves and their administration; it concerneth none below the grade of Exempt Adept, and such an one only by command.
Also, since below the Abyss Reason is Lord, let men seek by experiment, and not by Questionings.

COMMENTARY (ΜΑ)

The title is only partially explained in the note; it means that the statements in this chapter are to be understood in the most ordinary and commonplace way, without any mystical sense.

V.V.V.V.V. is the motto of a Master of the Temple (or so much He disclosed to the Exempt Adepts), referred to in Liber LXI. It is he who is responsible for the whole of the development of the A∴A∴ movement which has been associated with the publication of THE EQUINOX; and His utterance is enshrined in the sacred writings.

It is useless to enquire into His nature; to do so leads to certain disaster. Authority from him is exhibited, when necessary, to the proper persons, though in no case to anyone below the grade of Exempt Adept. The person enquiring into such matters is politely requested to work, and not to ask questions about matters which in no way concern him.

The number 41 is that of the Barren Mother.

Always Wondering

I too have always thought he wrote it himself, but more interesting is why or if and how he had an agreement with her to put her name to it. A great question!

I often get the feeling that Crowley steps outside of himself like this as a construct of dissociation. Perhaps for himself, in case he is feeling over attached to his subject. Or maybe for the sake of his readers.

Intentional or not, his practice of this often gives me the experience of learning from more than one personality. This creates a kind of anti-guru effect that I appreciate. It also has the effect of widening the world of Thelema and in a sense, the Universe, for me. Not to mention, it keeps me on my toes. ;)

Zephyros

That makes a lot of sense. Written in the first person the passage basically claiming the authority of the book would sound preachy and self aggrandizing. It is something that definitely needed to be said, but it would definitely sound off had he written "I found the Secret Chiefs... so you had better listen to me."

smw

That makes a lot of sense. Written in the first person the passage basically claiming the authority of the book would sound preachy and self aggrandizing. It is something that definitely needed to be said, but it would definitely sound off had he written "I found the Secret Chiefs... so you had better listen to me."

Which is oddly almost the opposite of his comments that he wrote without parents (secret Chiefs?) and no need to read... Not addressed to Tarot readers who were to buy the book together - so maybe related to Soror IWE in some way.

Eta I can't imagine that he chose her name lightly, almost immortalised her - or the message, whatever it is.

Aeon418

A "construct of dissociation" describes one of Crowley's earliest magical exercises. While wearing particular pieces of jewellery he would adopt a different persona. Until he removed the ring, broach, or whatever, he would only allow himself to think and act 'in character', all the time observing the effects this had on himself and other people.

But how might this be relevant to the introduction? In his magical journal, The Equinox, Crowley had a regular book review section. The vast majority of the reviews were written by Crowley himself under another name. The use of pseudonyms not only allowed him to disguise that fact that much of the material was written by the same person, but it also allowed him to write reviews from a completely different perspective to his own.

The introduction could just as easily have been written under a whole host of different pseudonyms such as:

A. Quiller.
Nick Lamb.
Hilda Norfolk.
Percy Flage.
Francis Bendick.
Ananda Vigga.
Dost Achiha Khan.

The list could go on and on. I think there are around 60+ different pseudonyms in The Equinox. And that's only if you count Crowley's reviews!

Always Wondering

A "construct of dissociation" describes one of Crowley's earliest magical exercises. While wearing particular pieces of jewellery he would adopt a different persona. Until he removed the ring, broach, or whatever, he would only allow himself to think and act 'in character', all the time observing the effects this had on himself and other people.

I barely remember something about this. That was early days for me, can't imagine where I would have read it.

But how might this be relevant to the introduction? In his magical journal, The Equinox, Crowley had a regular book review section. The vast majority of the reviews were written by Crowley himself under another name. The use of pseudonyms not only allowed him to disguise that fact that much of the material was written by the same person, but it also allowed him to write reviews from a completely different perspective to his own.

Makes sense.

The introduction could just as easily have been written under a whole host of different pseudonyms such as:

A. Quiller.
Nick Lamb.
Hilda Norfolk.
Percy Flage.
Francis Bendick.
Ananda Vigga.
Dost Achiha Khan.

The list could go on and on.

I agree, but if he could stick it to someone that perhaps once irritated him, even better. })

I think there are around 60+ different pseudonyms in The Equinox. And that's only if you count Crowley's reviews!

I got fairly schizophrenic trying to keep up with it all at first, then just gave up and assumed if I never heard the name before, it was probably Crowley.