Paulina Tarot Study Group~The Devil

HearthCricket

My thoughts on the Devil!!

My first impression with this card is that it is naughty! Not in an erotic way, by any means, but very suggestive that both parties have an agenda and are willing to do just about anything to reach their goal. In a secluded looking alcove, a Panlike creature (Goat God, according to LWB) and a woman sit upon a blue treasure chest. The Devil's eyes burn with desire for the woman, but his hand grasps on a large coin. The female, OTOH, decked out in Mardi-Gras costuming, caresses his face, shows off a leg and flirts behind a masque. Very Marie Antoinette! There also seems to be green dollar bills tucked in her breast! Their feet are linked by a chain, linking the control the devil has over the woman and how how easily she is willing to succumb. But who is the victim here, as ripe fruit at her feet "beckon her to induldge"? A spider crawls down from the sides of the walls, perhaps making us question who is caught in a web, but no sign of our beloved snail. I take away the emotions of greed, seduction, temptation and having been willingly taken in by wanton pleasures!

lalalibra

I'm interested in how they're sitting on a treasure chest. I wonder if it's locked (if so, I don't see a key anywhere in sight) or if it's kept closed by the two of them being seated upon it. The chest is a placid blue color, which is a contrast from the overall dreary surroundings... To me, it actually looks like they're sitting in a cloud of smoke around them (smoke gets in your eyes, smoke & mirrors)... The chest also reminds me of the story of Pandora's Box, and I could imagine either of them toying with the idea of wanting to be the one to open it first if they could just maneuver the situation ever so much in that direction.

It also looks to me like the ground is cobblestone, which reminds me of man-made arrangements and innovations in general, structure, order (which built too high get shot down eventually, as in the following card, The Tower)... I suppose you could also look at it as parched ground too, like cracking because it's very dry, not enough water - symbolizing need/lack ...(though probably not I think, b/c of the circle shape). And in that case, the fruit on the ground could perhaps warn of over-indulgence and potential wastefulness (as in harvesting/spending too much, and not saving for later).

I really like how they are both chained together (as opposed to only the woman being chained, as with the people in RWS), since to me it implies that we can't really escape our shadow side (our animal side, our desires). I always got the impression like she's trying to fool him though, to trick him in some way! Could suggest trying to gain the upper hand over your impulses; to work with those desires when you're feeling bound to them, rather than try something less effective like run away or deny them (impossible with the chains).