Smith-Waite Centennial deck is THE definitive RWS -- a must-have!

rwcarter

I'm finally getting around to updating my database and I see that there is no printing info in the LWB that comes with this deck. So in a decade (if it takes that long) when people try to figure out the different versions of the deck, we'll have one less tool to do so.

Zephyros

So, I finally got it and... although it doesn't satisfy the purist in me, as a "product" I kind of like it. The box itself is superb, a real feeling of luxury and I've already started reading the book about PCS by Kaplan. From the first few pages I can identify some of the idealization of PCS that seems to be in vogue now, but that's what would be expected from a book about her. I once made the mistake of reading Lee Iacoca's autobiography, written in third person, and nothing is as bad as that.

Now, about the deck itself, I have very mixed feelings. On one hand it looks attractive enough but there's something tiring to the eyes about it. It seems rather muddy and dark, almost dirty. It isn't a historical reproduction, but a "Disneyland" version of history, which is a shame but taken in that context alone it is quite lovely. When I was in school we used to take parchment paper and burn the edges so that it would look old, and that's what this reminds me of.

The backs, though, I find absolutely hideous. I can't imagine what they were thinking with that design. The color looks so out of place and the signature completely superfluous.

I would have liked less dotting in some of the colors, I don't know if that was in the original or if it is just faulty printing. Anyway, it isn't bad. Not wildly great, but not bad. My mother, who gave it to me, was kind of disappointed with my critical attitude towards it, and I had to assure her that I was very, very happy with it, but was "professionally disappointed." So I didn't come off as a total jerk. :)

In short, I can recommend this to anyone who wants an RWS that is several levels above the yellow-box versions, which I can see now are far uglier than I had thought until now. It isn't for the historian, Waite-ist or purist. Good stuff, all around.

Zephyros

I read the book yesterday and have some criticism towards it. I know it isn't meant to be an all-encompassing survey of PCS's life but a few times Kaplan seems to hint at things and then goes back, not pursuing it further. For example, on page 68 Kaplan writes:

Although she had many male friends, Pamela never married and there is no indication she enjoyed any intimate male companionship.

A further exploration of PCS's celibacy would seem to be in order here, but this is the last ever mention of her personal situation. She may not have even been interested in men, and the overwhelming preponderance of female figures in her art suggests to me that she may well have had other interests. There is nothing to base the theory that she was lesbian on, but it would have been interesting if Kaplan had at least entertained that theory, rather than almost alluding to it and then hastily retreating.

Then, on page 23 there is an image of Shylock. Those were different times, and the picture itself was based on a real person, but Kaplan doesn't even mention the fact that it bears all the Jewish stereotypes one can imagine. PCS was very progressive relative to her times, and there is no indication she was racist, quite the contrary. But Kaplan doesn't address what seems so patently obvious.

Abrac

First I ever heard PCS was "celibate." I know she was unmarried but never heard it was because she was celibate. Seems like a strange thing to say then drop.

Zephyros

First I ever heard PCS was "celibate." I know she was unmarried but never heard it was because she was celibate. Seems like a strange thing to say then drop.

She may have been gay, or a-sexual, or anything, really. Those were repressed times. Perhaps I used the wrong word, but Kaplan really does just drop the matter.

The same goes for some of her sadder poems and art. He says a few times that she was not always as cheerful as her outward persona showed, but there's no further exploration.

One thing I feel the book does do well, although perhaps inadvertently, was how rushed and hampered the art for the deck really was. Much of her art is magnificent, and one can only wonder what the deck could have been like had she had ample time and money to do it justice.

knight_sephiroth

I love, love, love this deck! I agree 100%. The color is perfect. Just wonderful. It seems the most visually accurate.

I have the little version in the tin, and the size is great, too. I bought it from someone here at AT and the deck just clicked with me--it feels so good. I even allowed the two sample art cards from Pixie to stay in the tarot set, assigning them meanings and feelings based on my reaction to them, and how they fit with the rest of the deck.

Le Fanu

I suppose I have come to love this deck - as if it were a long-in-print deck. I like the sharpness of the lines. It's like the only chance we'll get to really feel the lines of the RWS deck. It seems to bring it all sharply in focus.

I agree that the backs are just wrong. When reading with it. I just turn them over as quickly as possible so they don't distract me.

I really couldn't care less about the "lesbian-or-not" issue. Really. What she thought about the inner, mystical life is so much more interesting. But that, of course, we will never know.

Earthjade

I'm a little torn. I would like a Rider-Waite deck that is historically accurate but also with more vibrant colours. My original thought was that the Radiant deck is up my alley, but perhaps Centennial is also worth considering?

Since I buy all my decks online, I can't really try before I buy.

Richard

I think the Centennial is quite palatable, unlike most other modern copies of the Rider-Waite, which tend to be butt-ugly. I don't especially like the backs, but I don't read the backs, so it doesn't matter.

Earthjade

I think the one I'll get is the Commemorative set. I mean, if you are only going to get one Rider-Waite set, it's not a bad choice provided you have the extra cash.
It's basically a larger version of the Centennial set - I can't tell much of a difference in the colouring. I do think that the artist's original lettering adds character to the card. With the Radiant set for example, they've gone with a more ordinary modern type-set. Loses a little of its authenticity that way.

I don't like the backs either, but eh, what are you going to do?