The Alaire Deck

Cleo

I'm following you on Instagram - your paintings are gorgeous! Keep going xx

jalaire

I finished the majors and wanted to make sure they were worked in actual card form so I just ordered a little sample print of just the majors to see how they looked. I'm super excited with how they turned out. I'm not sure how I feel about the backs yet, they were just a quick placeholder. I would love to know what you think of them now that you can see them all together. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• majors.jpg
    majors.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 173

rwcarter

Wonderful! Congrats! I love the backs. But then I love purple. :D

I'm particularly struck by the bottom row of cards and how many of the characters face left. Did you do that on purpose or was that just the order they were in?

swimming in tarot

Well, aesthetically there's nothing wrong the backs in and of themselves...but is there something you want them to imply, or not imply?

The majors are very lively, all together. Some I'm seeing for the first time--I really like the Hanged Man. I note that although you like to have "vertical" elements bending in toward the top, you have chosen to keep the verticals vertical in some cards--denoting moral rectitude in the Heirophant, upward growth toward the Sun, and the uprightness of Justice?

jalaire

Ha... I didn't even notice that the entire bottom row was facing left! I just shuffled them and laid them out. :)

I wasn't really wanting the backs to convey much of anything. My main intentions with the back is I wanted them to be dark and slightly bland in contrast to the vivid fronts. Also since it's intended as my own personal deck first and foremost and I'm an air sign, I wanted to incorporate clouds in some way. That is how I came up with the current backs. I do like them, but I will probably sketch up a few other possibilities before the deck is finished.

My "style" of art has always had a combination of very straight lines and very curved lines. It works for me as a type of balance aesthetically. For most cards there is a reason behind the straight vertical. The hanged man, for example, I wanted the tree to be firm and sturdy. Others it was simply because I felt like adding a curve would be either too much or distracting.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I love hearing what you guys really think of my deck. :)

reall

WoW! this look beautiful!^^ one of my faw whimsy deck ever!^^
like how good diferent sizes look!^^ btw who was your printer?^^ :)))))))))

aquestionmark

This deck is beautiful!

truelighth

They are gorgeous! Love it!:thumbsup:

jalaire

I'm finally finished with all of the cards! I ordered a sample deck from printerstudio so I can actually see how they read and then edit the images if needed. I have attached an image of all the cards, I would love some feedback! Please let me know what you think. :)