Samhain Deck of the Bastard

greatdane

I realized that while there are threads that have this deck listed, there is no actual Samhain Deck of the Bastard thread except in Advertisments. As so many of us are waiting for it, I thought I would give it it's own thread in Tarot Decks.
I was a bit surprised at my reaction to this deck. I didn't order Deck of the Bastard, I thought it looked great, but I didn't really need it. It's amazing what it's slightly darker sister looks like! The changes that were made made me see it in a different light. It seems like a much different deck now. Perhaps because I am in a Fall/Samhain mood.
I am thinking of starting a ONE READING thread under Daily Draws in a few weeks after many of us have our decks to maybe do a quick first self reading and post the results. Just giving people a heads up in case you wish to join in, but so I don't go off topic, this thread is really just discussing our initial reactions to seeing the scans of this deck and for those who have the Deck of the Bastard, why you may have ordered this one too.
I just find something magical about the changes, love the additions along the borders. It is one of the only decks I've seen for Samhain/Halloween that isn't almost campy dark, cutesy or just vampires or zombies. NOT that there is anything wrong with any of those, I have some of them! It's just I wanted a more classic looking, fun, yet a bit dark and somber, something that felt like it was from centuries past and this seems to fit that. While I love the Bohemian Gothic for it's vibe, some of the cards aren't just readily recognizable to me, where the cards in the Samhain are. Anyone else want to share?

greatdane

WHHHHOOOO HOOOO! GOT IT!

I have just one word....SUBLIME. It has just enough of an edge and Samhain feel. Dark, but subtle. A bit of humor, but not campy. While I love the images, I MUST MENTION cardstock! That linen is just incredible. It's like my Vintage German Lenormand. LOVE IT. I FEEL CONFIDENT in predicting this will stay one of the CLASSIC Samhain/Halloween decks. There's nothing like it out there.

seven stars

I have just one word....SUBLIME. It has just enough of an edge and Samhain feel. Dark, but subtle. A bit of humor, but not campy. While I love the images, I MUST MENTION cardstock! That linen is just incredible. It's like my Vintage German Lenormand. LOVE IT. I FEEL CONFIDENT in predicting this will stay one of the CLASSIC Samhain/Halloween decks. There's nothing like it out there.

Thank you greatdane. FOR EVERYTHING. I'd actually forgotten about the extra things in the Judgement card till you asked, had to go look, LOL....those poor lil elves must have been up for days kicking these things out!

greatdane

Still going off each card!

It's like oh look! There's a bat I missed! Or there's a tombstone. That's the beauty of this deck, well just one of them, is that it's subtle. Like a magic book or box you have to study. It's enchanting. Oh and to read with this at night...sigh....

Le Fanu

Are they being sent out? Can't wait to get mine...

greatdane

Got mine today, LeFanu

I think the earlier you ordered, obviously the quicker your deck got sent out. But I have a feeling that since several of us got ours today, other decks will be arriving sooner than expected. LOVE IT, LE FANU!

Padma

ooooo mine is going to take forever to get here - boo hoo! :(

But I am excited that others have received theirs - I am happy for them :) Especially for Greatdane, as you wanted it so badly and could hardly wait! lol! Your great enthusiasm made me smile. :)

It sounds like it is all it set out to be. How wonderful! I am sure to love mine too...

greatdane

LP...I bet yours gets there sooner than you think!

I don't think anyone was expecting NEARLY this quickly which means that the sooner you ordered, the sooner they went out and many of us in the US and Canada got ours today. SO....keep the faith...I bet it gets there soon! AND IT WILL BE WORTH THE LITTLE EXTRA WAIT! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT QUIRKY AND MURKY...OH MY!

Disa

Got IT!!! Haven't had a chance to look yet because I've been cleaning and I have to eat NOW! haha.. But I'm about to get it and look through as soon as I can :) Woohoo!!! I def was NOT expecting it this soon. The kid brought in the mail and said hey you have a little box and I said I haven't ordered anything and she goes, it's probably a tarot deck hahahaha.