Attention, edgers, gilders, and blingers: what are your tools of choice?

FLizarraga

Do you use the Silver Sharpie for white on white because it's hard to match whites or you just like the look better?

I like silver edges. They're sort of elegant. And they go well with anything, especially certain decks that are in cool colors. Plus, like I said, they are much less messy than other colors, and especially other metallic inks.

I received an old, well used, Winged Spirit and you can see the use mainly on the edges because it's white on white. It's not a deck that would look bad with a silver or gold edge, but I'm thinking I'd like to keep it all white.

I trimmed my Winged Spirit and edged it a lovely gray that matched the backs --I forget the exact color. But in the end I gilded it in silver..... :p

I can't find those Tim Holzer pens anywhere nearby.

Neither can I. I get them at Amazon or eBay, generally very cheap.

Can't comment on the other brands you mention, since I haven't used them --truth to be told, I haven't used Tim Holtz's white, either.

As for what colors to use on a deck --that's so personal. Sometimes I try to complement the backs, or the borders, or the hues of the deck in general. But sometimes a bold statement works well, like a metallic gold or copper border on a dark/drab deck.

I tried like three different colors on my Pearls of Wisdom first edition, including metallic silver, and I still wasn't happy, so I finally went for black. I had to apply several coats, and the metallic shine still peaks through, but the effect is unique and I finally like it.

G6

Shadowscapes with Playful Purple Bic Mark It - Double Edged

Hello!

Here's another pic of the Shadowscapes double edged with the Playful Purple Bic. It's more muted in person (see other JPEG) like a true Royal Purple, but I thought I'd add another shot.

Card stock is lame, but I like this deck.

Check it out...

Attachments

• X2_Purple_Shadowscapes.jpg
    X2_Purple_Shadowscapes.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 450

FLizarraga

Hello!

Here's another pic of the Shadowscapes double edged with the Playful Purple Bic. It's more muted in person (see other JPEG) like a true Royal Purple, but I thought I'd add another shot.

Card stock is lame, but I like this deck.

Check it out...

Blingy!!!!!! :D

G6

Marker Rubs Off - Solution???

Uh-oh, my beautiful purple edged Shadowscapes is rubbing off on my hands.

Any solutions for this?

Thanks! :)

G6

Sharpie Mean Streak - No Bueno for Edging

The title says it all. Don't waste time or money on this one it is not a marker for edging. It's more of a crayon type of marker.

Why oh why, don't any stores carry white markers?!

FLizarraga

Actually, in my experience it's completely unpredictable when edges will bleed. And it doesn't depend on the brand. Tim Holtz's black inks bleed like there's no tomorrow, black Sharpies don't. Did you let them dry overnight?

The only remedy I have found to stop it is rubbing the edges gently with a paper towel, then edging them with a better marker to sort of seal them and stop the bleeding.

h3ll0k1tt33

one of the things i do to test before i edge is to colour a spot on some paper, let it dry, and then lick my finger and rub it across to see if it the colour rubs off. if it does i don't use it for edging (my hands sometimes get sweaty so i like to test it out first).

i had bought some really nice metallic ink pads that had beautiful colour and coverage but sadly they rubbed off the paper really easily :( i will have to find another project to use those for.

i also try to avoid anything that says 'water soluble'.

G6

Actually, in my experience it's completely unpredictable when edges will bleed. And it doesn't depend on the brand. Tim Holtz's black inks bleed like there's no tomorrow, black Sharpies don't. Did you let them dry overnight?

The only remedy I have found to stop it is rubbing the edges gently with a paper towel, then edging them with a better marker to sort of seal them and stop the bleeding.

They did dry overnight and my first reading was good! :) I'm hoping maybe more time will make the problem go away? I know that approach doesn't always work, lol!

Bummer if these Bic permanent markers stink because they have a metallic 3 pack for 2.48 I was considering.

I'll have to wait a little longer on the verdict with this one, but you're right I will have to edge them again with a better marker if this Bic Playful Purple doesn't stick.

Maybe I will just invest in a Tim Holtz pack from Ebay or Amazon...

Well, if you think brand doesn't matter and Tim Holtz bled on one of your decks I'll just see what the Bic does and if the rub off stops I'll get the Bic metallic 3 Pack! ;-)

G6

one of the things i do to test before i edge is to colour a spot on some paper, let it dry, and then lick my finger and rub it across to see if it the colour rubs off. if it does i don't use it for edging (my hands sometimes get sweaty so i like to test it out first).

i had bought some really nice metallic ink pads that had beautiful colour and coverage but sadly they rubbed off the paper really easily :( i will have to find another project to use those for.

i also try to avoid anything that says 'water soluble'.

This is a good test going forward, thanks! I just figured permanent means permanent. :-(

G6

Faber-Castell Pitt Big Artist Pen, White

I'm going to try this Faber-Castell Pitt Big Artist Pen in white next for my grungy edged, Winged Spirit. It's archival, waterproof, permanent...

http://www.dickblick.com/items/19917-1020