Good incense for readings?

Edward Tarot Hands

I use Palo Santo, it's not really an incense but has a nice light smell that lasts for a while. It's wood from a tree that you burn and blow out the flame and use it like incense. It doesn't burn for long but the nice light fragrance hangs around a long time

I also love Nag Champa but I would avoid the common blue box variety and try to find traditional hand made varieties. The smell is a lot different

silvereye

agree Nag Champa is addictive but it's also pervasive and lingers for quite a while so if the room where the reading takes place will need to be used for another event immediately after the reading session you might want to avoid it. Japanese incense might be a better choice, the Agarwood or Karya variety.

Trogon

I will also cast my vote for sandalwood or nag champa. I find them both to be excellent to help me achieve a good meditative/receptive state for readings and personal meditations.

Sandalwood is one of my all-time favorite scents and a few years ago I found that a new age store here was carrying bags of actual sandalwood - these were small chunks and bits of wood (probably leftovers from carving and that sort of thing). I light a self-starting charcoal disk (also sold in the new age shops) and once it's going fairly well, I'll put a few pieces of sandalwood on it. You can also get various other things (such as resins or other woods) to use on the charcoal.

... Nag Champa is also considered meditative, but a lot of people associate it with potheads, so ymmv.

Hi barefootlife! "... ymmv."?

[ETA] - Never mind ... I just figured it out. "Your mileage might vary." :laugh:

CharlotteK

I have a great selection of Japanese incense for meditating - (ETA: Kobunboku is a mainstay) - but for preparing spaces for card reading, and generally making the house smell fab, I love Vijayshree Golden Nag Meditation incense. It is sandalwood based, and has a beautiful fragrance.

Redfaery

My go to incense are Japanese sandalwood joss sticks. I bought a box last time I took a trip there. It's fantastic stuff.

EmpyreanKnight

I like HEM incense sticks too. It smells nice, available locally, and it's rather cheap too.

Marcus R

I like the HEM incense too. Sun and Moon, mentioned earlier are quite nice, my favourite is the Star which Is difficult to find. White sage, myrrh, frankincense all get a run at my place.

BeyondtheVeil

Nag Champa

When I use or buy incense, I only buy Nag Champa.I don't switch around as you really don't need to. I just absolutely love that smell. I guess because it was always burning in the local new age store and it relaxes me.

Find an incense smell that you like as it needs to smell relaxing and special to you. Whomever said to go into a store and just smell different ones that you think you will like is a good start. I can't do that as all the different scents give me a headache. lol

I like Nag Champa in the Blue Box! :thumbsup: I like all Nag Champa :D

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

Grizabella

I love to burn white sage and sweetgrass, either together or separately. They smolder rather than actually flat out burning. I'm of Native American descent and there's nothing more healing and calming than that. I like incense too sometimes, but mostly white sage and sweetgrass for me. Add in a Carlos Nakai flute cd and I'm all set for relaxed, healing and calming.

Gaston D.

A friend bought me some black copal from Mexico last year and I've become very fond of it. It's a resin that gives off a very intense "dark" smell when lit, not unlike frankincense but deeper and richer somehow. (It also throws off a fair amount of smoke, so it may not be for everyone - but I always have a ceiling fan going and windows open in the room I light it in so that's not much of an issue for me.)

I find it particularly good for serious meditative work, or if I'm doing a detailed reading for myself or a close friend/client.