Premium German Rider Waite with Pam A crackle brown back and 1909 colouring

Laura Borealis

I bought the Giant listed there (but not from them, the ISBN/EAN is the same) and it does NOT have the brown crackle/mud backs like the Pocket and Standard do.

Rodney

That's good to know! What backs does it have?

Occultum Lapidem

Rosy Cross on a purple background.

Isn't that the same as the current AGM decks? It all seems a bit odd - AGM logos on all the deck boxes but AGM don't sell the 'premium' cards. And the boxes all sort-of look the same apart from the orange/blue colouring.

I think I will order a von pocket deck through Amazon.

Denever

My von Waite came in yesterday and I love it. I'm in a minority in that I'm not wild about the crackleback, but that's just because I don't like the color, which is not quite brown, not quite tan, not quite orange. But I love the card stock, I love the way the deck feels in my hands, and I love the coloring.

The only classic RWS I have is the tiny mini-deck, and I've never liked the coloring much. My first deck, purchased back in 1969 or '70, was the lurid Albano-Waite,* and since I didn't know anything about the RWS then, I thought those colors were standard. The classic RWS is too bright, and I love the Centennial Smith-Waite, but it is very subdued and probably too dull for some folks. <Goldilocks> The Von Waite is juuuust right! </Goldilocks>

I also like the fact that it's in German, a language I love but speak very badly. I'm having fun trying to read the LWB in German. It's the most substantial LWB I've seen, too. Short of going all the way to a little book like the Mucha Tarot has, this LWB is the largest and easiest to read I have, and the paper stock is less flimsy than the US Games LWBs.

I'm delighted all around, so I just ordered the pocket version.

*I still like the AW, though the new reprints are poorly done. It's worth having just for the beauty of the Pentacles court cards.

gregory

Isn't that the same as the current AGM decks? It all seems a bit odd - AGM logos on all the deck boxes but AGM don't sell the 'premium' cards. And the boxes all sort-of look the same apart from the orange/blue colouring.
No - the card stock is much sleeker, and the colouring much subtler. (I have an AGM too.)

Occultum Lapidem

No - the card stock is much sleeker, and the colouring much subtler. (I have an AGM too.)

Hmmm, the plot thickens...

I got a reply to my email to AGM. I enquired about the premium German Waite and the regular French pocket edition (I like French card titles :)). AGM replied as follows:

The colour of the front side are the same but the back is different: German edition à crackle design and the French edition –> blue cross (see file attached).

The attachment shows the rose cross card back.

So, they're saying that the front colouring is the same. Is it possible that they updated the colouring on all RWS decks?

Laura Borealis

My von Waite came in yesterday and I love it. I'm in a minority in that I'm not wild about the crackleback, but that's just because I don't like the color, which is not quite brown, not quite tan, not quite orange.

Terra cotta comes to mind.

I got a reply to my email to AGM. I enquired about the premium German Waite and the regular French pocket edition (I like French card titles :)). AGM replied as follows:

So, they're saying that the front colouring is the same. Is it possible that they updated the colouring on all RWS decks?

How peculiar :bugeyed:

gregory

I just got my (crackle-back) pocket one. It's LOVELY ! MUCH kudos to AGM/Konigsfurt.

And there's a good reason for the box - it houses the quite fat booklet. And to take that down to the card size would be - not even remotely amusing !

FLizarraga

I also like the card stock. It is a bit thinner than the card stock from U.S. Games but not as flimsy as Llewellyn's.

That's a perfect description, IMHO. The regular US Games cardstock is indeed a bit thicker, and the Centennial's is particularly thick for some reason. No complaints here; I love it. But the Von Waite's is sort of Goldilocks perfect.

Curiouser and curiouser... 🕵

Terra cotta comes to mind.

Terra cotta seems exactly right. :)

magicjack

Just curious. was Terra Cotta the original color of the crackle back?