Celtic Cross Question

Aerin

They don't have to be as vague as the books sound.

I just posted the way I used it elsewhere (spreads for a general reading).

People do it differently, and that's OK.

I only use it for general readings because I prefer smaller spreads that are more targeted. My favourite is a 4 carder with the card at the base of the pack as a summary/ insight card.

I started with this approach

http://www.learntarot.com/ccross.htm

and have fiddled around with it depending on what I've just read ever since. I think you have to experiment with it.

canid

I used the CC back in the 80's because I thought you *had* to, that all spreads in a book were somehow sacrosanct. Even then, I felt that a few of the positional meanings were not only confusing but redundant. Now I use mostly 3-8 card spreads that I've modified, but I'm now in the process of doing the same with the CC, so it makes more sense to me. The 10 card spread here, well, both of them, could easily be adapted as a timing spread by replacing positions - 3) to 'Present', 4) to 'Past' & 5) to 'Future', etc. Input please?

1) Issue
2) Crossing pro or con
3) Foundation ie distant past
4) Passing away
5) Your goals, thoughts
6) Near future
7) Your active role, attitude
8) Environemnt, others' influence
9) Hopes & fears-emotions
10) Destiny (outcome)

Here's another 8 card modified one -

8 6
1&2
5 3

1) Issue
2) Crossing pro or con
3) Passing away
4) Your goals, thoughts
5) Near future
6) Environment-others' influence
7) Your active role/participation
8) Destiny

notjessica

I love the Celtic Cross! (Hi everyone, btw!) I like to name the positions out loud as I lay them out: "This is you, this crosses you, this grounds you, this crowns you, this is behind you, this is in front of you; this is your mind, this is your body, this is your spirit, and this is your path." A bit showy perhaps, but I think it adds to the presentation anyway. ;)

Er, anyway, the way I read the cross is that the top and bottom cards are what the querent is contributing to the situation (in past actions, and in outlook) and the left and right cards are what external forces are contributing. It seems to work very well for me that way. :)