Rider Waite card(s) secret......

Teheuti

One of my favorite hidden images is in the 4 of Pentacles. It's the PAX written in the halo on the head of the saint in the stained glass window. This detail is not clear on the Universal Waite deck but very clear in the standard.

T

Sulis

There is no stained glass window in the 4 pentacles.

Crystalmynx xx

Sulis

Oops, found it, it's on the 4 Swords.

Crystalmynx xx

Teheuti

crystalmynx said:
Oops, found it, it's on the 4 Swords.

Thanks. I must have been typing without thinking. Turned into a treasure hunt. Yep, the stained glass window on the 4 of Swords. What's with the three swords hanging over him, while he lies on top of one sword? Why "Peace"?

T

slinky_jo

10 Pent

I really like the 10 of pentacles - and have been wondering what's that large dark portion on the LEFT meant to be (next to the old man) - is it a painting or a window? - and does it have a secret meaning?? It seems to have a hill or tower on it. It this tower a warning - as in "don't feel too comfortable, things can change???"

Just wondering :D

Bosorka

Did anybody thought about hands?

One thing that started to bother me this week. Does anybody know why merchander in 6 of pentacles has hand just like Hierophant and guy on 10 of swords? And why gesture on Devil looks just like the one of Spock from Star Treck?

Teheuti

Re: 10 Pent

slinky_jo said:
I really like the 10 of pentacles - and have been wondering what's that large dark portion on the LEFT meant to be (next to the old man) - is it a painting or a window? - and does it have a secret meaning?? It seems to have a hill or tower on it. It this tower a warning - as in "don't feel too comfortable, things can change???"

Yes - the left side of this card is very intriguing. Above the old man's head, on the arch itself are two banners:
-Balanced scales (representing Justice/Libra?).
-A castle or church (a heavenly abode?).
Then there is
-A window frame? in checkerboard (reference to Masonry?),
-Framing a view of another world that doesn't match the dimensions of the main scene - similar to that famous metaphysical print where a man is bending over to look into the clockwork world behind this one.
-Containing a tower similar to the one on the cliff top on the 8 of Swords - the heights of aspiration, a spiritual home? The Grail Castle?
-The old man is the Fisher King? Ulysses returning home?
-The markings in the sky above the tower are like a cherub with wings (there are three dots that could represent a face) - divine grace?
All this on theTree of Life feminine pillar of severity containing Binah, Geburah, and Hod.

It certainly looks like a coded message from A. E. Waite. What else could these things represent? It may be Waite's "signature" card - his spiritual "abode" and "entrance" to the mystical "archives". Abode, entrance, and archives are words from his commentary on the card.

T

sweet_intuition

A well deserved BUMP

This is an amazing thread. It has really been an eye-opener to me and has made me fall in love with my Original Rider Waite Deck

And I found the second person in the 9 of pentacles. Clue: He is on the right hand side, and we can see a bit of his hand :).

sweet_intuition

Another Little Discover

This has to do with the Fool and Judgement (Please correct me if I am wrong).

If you notice, in the background, the Fool, and Judgement have a similar range of snow-capped hills. At first it didn't seem like much, but then I remembered how in older decks, The Fool was placed between Judgment and the World. Could this have been a way of linking the old system of arranging the majors with the new?

Another explaination I thought was that the cycle of Reincarnation is never ending. However, after we pass away, our souls and karmas are "judged" and then if we have been able to fulfill our karmic destiny of this incarnation, we receive major karmic boons (the world) and our soul is elevated to the next higher incarnation. If, however, we weren't able to fulfill our karmic destiny, we are reincarnated back to the beginning (the fool) to go through the journey all over again to fulfill our karmic destiny.

Do lemme know what you all think.

Teheuti

sweet_intuition said:
I found the second person in the 9 of pentacles. Clue: He is on the right hand side, and we can see a bit of his hand :).
I haven't been able to find the person or the hand - not even with my giant deck and a magnifying glass, nor with the B&W line drawing. Can you post a blow up of the section?