Question About Significator

The Universe Knows

I have only just begun studying Lenormand and today attempted a five-card spread with a pre-chosen significator. The guide reads "the two cards either side of the significator are chosen," and in the example they show these two particular cards are placed to the left of the significator...so then the next two cards on either side would have to the cards placed on the right.

My pre-chosen significator, however, was at the bottom/end of the pile.

I'm clueless how to handle this.

Also, the guide hasn't mentioned it, but I assume that cards in the deck that are left of the significator will get the left position and cards right of the significator get placed to the right of the left card...and that cards in the deck to the left are considered the first card to be taken and placed within the spread???? (This is very hard to explain....)

ThtDancerGuy

Hi Universe,

I completely understand your situation because I struggled with that, too, when I ran into it during my first readings. If you're using a significator card as the focus card (the central, middle card of the Line), then you must "charge" that specific card as the significator by visualizing the situation you're asking about and "superimposing" it onto that specific card in your mind, like pasting a photo onto Microsoft Word on the internet, but in this case it's onto your chosen card. Then you shuffle up, making sure to focus WELL on your question throughout shuffling. Cut, shuffle, cut again, etc., until you feel you and the cards are ready.
When I use a significator card in my Line readings, I prefer to turn the deck face-up and look through the cards to find my significator card, and the cards on the left side (YOUR left side – these are the cards read on the left, yes) and the cards on the right (YOUR right side – these are the cards read on the right, yes). Then just lay them down how they came out and read them. :)
However, in the case that your significator card is either the very first or the very last card of the deck when you turn it face-up, then do still take the significator card and whatever cards landed before/after it and interpret those in the way they are interpreted: cards on the left as what has already happened or what is currently passing, and cards on the right as what is coming in the near future or what has yet to pass. I was taught to reshuffle with the same question but revised a little, so you're not asking the exact same question verbatim, and to see if this changes the placement of the cards any. If the significator card ends up still being either the very first or very last card, then it is clear that the answer cannot truly be gleaned right now. Ask again at a later date. :)

From Mrs. Rana George's AMAZING book The Essential Lenormand, which if you're not already reading please go out and pick up your copy – it's the BEST Lenormand book on the market and I never refer back to any other Lenormand book than this one – "In case the card chosen as the significator or focus came up as the first card, I still pull three cards after it and read them. If I am not satisfied with the depth of my answer, I reshuffle and redo. On the other hand, if the card chosen to be the significator/focus shows up at the end with no cards after it to predict an outcome or to give more insights, I would keep in mind the two or three cards right before it and reshuffle my deck with a strong intention to focus clearly on my question." (350)
Also, "Follow your gut and do what feels right for you; when in doubt, re-center yourself, focus, and start over so that you can find the flow." (351)

The Universe Knows

Thank you, Dancer, for taking the time to fill me in. -)

IHeartRescues

I am glad you asked this

Was just reminded of this method fm Andy's blog I think. So also had the same question. :) And I didn't realize that Rana also addresses this in her book!

Thank you both!

ETA: The method of reading cards before and after the selected and/ or charged Sign. is also Sylvie S. way. I just read on another thread. I came onto Lenormand waayy after she was teaching on here.

Joon

I ... today attempted a five-card spread with a pre-chosen significator. The guide reads "the two cards either side of the significator are chosen," and in the example they show these two particular cards are placed to the left of the significator...so then the next two cards on either side would have to the cards placed on the right.

My pre-chosen significator, however, was at the bottom/end of the pile.

I'm clueless how to handle this.

If this comes up for me, I first look at the 3-card answer - in your case the 34th, 35th, and 36th cards out of the pack. Your significator being at the end of a 3-card fan.

I *might* go to the 1st and 2nd cards if I feel I need more than I'm getting from the 3 -- so my fan would be 34th + 35th + 36th + 1st + 2nd, as if the deck were circling back on itself.

To the question of reshuffling and trying again, I would not do that. (And Andy firmly cautions against it.) The cards have spoken. It is up to me/the reader to interpret them.

Something that has truly pushed me forward as a student is sitting with the cards, and putting them on the back burner (letting my subconscious stew on the problem) to come back to them later, if necessary, until I understand the cards and the spread in the context of the question.

IHeartRescues

since it's been 9 hrs...

Joon i agree. Not a big fan of re-shuffling either.

What i cannot see at first often becomes clear after sitting in place for the rest of the day, and while my mind mulls them over. inevitably SOMETHING becomes clear that i had overlooked. In fact i am often shocked at what was staring at me fm the first!

ThtDancerGuy

If this comes up for me, I first look at the 3-card answer - in your case the 34th, 35th, and 36th cards out of the pack. Your significator being at the end of a 3-card fan.

I *might* go to the 1st and 2nd cards if I feel I need more than I'm getting from the 3 -- so my fan would be 34th + 35th + 36th + 1st + 2nd, as if the deck were circling back on itself.

To the question of reshuffling and trying again, I would not do that. (And Andy firmly cautions against it.) The cards have spoken. It is up to me/the reader to interpret them.

Something that has truly pushed me forward as a student is sitting with the cards, and putting them on the back burner (letting my subconscious stew on the problem) to come back to them later, if necessary, until I understand the cards and the spread in the context of the question.

Joon,

Your method sounds interesting. I usually have reservations about reshuffling as well, but that's something I reserve for Tarot. Lenormand clearly has a very different set of rules than Tarot, and when you work with it for long enough you realize that certain rules don't necessarily apply to the Lenormand as they do the Tarot. Reshuffling is one of those rules. Now, I do not mean reshuffling anytime you see bad cards and want a second opinion, if you will. I'm talking about if you know for fact that your mind was in a completely different place than on your question, despite your best efforts to focus, and you turn up the cards and they just do not connect with the situation at all. Rarely is a case ever so drastic, but it has happened and does happen. I and many other readers believe that qualifies for a reshuffle, and I have had success with reshuffling each time I've had to do it -- I do not do it often, though. The only time I don't like to reshuffle is during a Grand Tableau: it's personally too big and broad of a reading to reshuffle if a significator falls at the end of their GT, or at the beginning with no past cards and either they or I wanted some past to look at timing or validate the future...
But yes, I agree that it is a good idea to sit after a particularly unclear reading and to mull it over again once the event has passed.

Joon

Joon,

Your method sounds interesting. I usually have reservations about reshuffling as well, but that's something I reserve for Tarot. Lenormand clearly has a very different set of rules than Tarot, and when you work with it for long enough you realize that certain rules don't necessarily apply to the Lenormand as they do the Tarot.

Hello, TDG,

I'm not a Tarot reader. My opinions are based on my studies, having long thinks about what makes sense to me, and my own practice. YMMV.

Reshuffling is one of those rules. Now, I do not mean reshuffling anytime you see bad cards and want a second opinion, if you will.

Reshuffling for a second opinion was not the question asked, nor do I think any of us here were addressing that. But if you want my thoughts on that: Don't do it. I think we are in agreement here. :)

I'm talking about if you know for fact that your mind was in a completely different place than on your question, despite your best efforts to focus, and you turn up the cards and they just do not connect with the situation at all. Rarely is a case ever so drastic, but it has happened and does happen. I and many other readers believe that qualifies for a reshuffle, and I have had success with reshuffling each time I've had to do it -- I do not do it often, though.

I've not run into this. Now that it's been brought to my attention as a possibility, I will give it thought. I'd certainly rather have thought about it before I was in the situation. But cannot speak to it now. Thanks for the homework! ;-)

The only time I don't like to reshuffle is during a Grand Tableau: it's personally too big and broad of a reading to reshuffle if a significator falls at the end of their GT, or at the beginning with no past cards and either they or I wanted some past to look at timing or validate the future...
But yes, I agree that it is a good idea to sit after a particularly unclear reading and to mull it over again once the event has passed.

My post here was not intended as a rebuttal to yours. I addressed the question in the OP with my way of handling the situation described. Everyone can and should have a think about these things and apply the method that works for them. Mine is an option to consider, should anyone choose to do so.

ETA: I also meant to say that I am not *just* talking about mulling the cards over again after the event has passed. I carry around scraps of paper and 3x5 cards with symbols of the cards I'm puzzling out all the time. I mull consciously, yes, but unconsciously too, until I get a reading I am satisfied with.

I'm giving myself every chance to catch an insight to the spread at any time, like those reminders of something I wanted to do today or the answers to questions that pop in while I am showering or washing dishes.

Teheuti

Alternate, Infinite Circle Method

When drawing cards on either side of a Significator or Focus card, think of the deck as being an infinite circle rather than a finite stack.

If your card is one of the last, then keep the cards you need that came before it (along with any that come after). Take all the other top cards, as in a cut, and place them in the back (at the end) so that what had been the top card is now in line following the Focus card.

If your Focus card is one of the first: Keep however many cards you need that follow it, and move all the following cards on top of the deck.

In practice it's just easiest if you cut the deck somewhere in the middle - putting the top half on the bottom, then re-find your Focus/Significator card. Take the 2 or 3 cards that are before and after it, as usual.

Don't make this harder than it has to be!!!