The Dark Angels Tarot

BlueFox

I hear Twiztid, but of course, thats probably cause my radio is blastin it...

if anyone regrets it, (or is feeling generous) my financial situation turned and I won't be able to afford it for a while.
(any income I do generate will be going into family affairs)

Cactus

As soon as I saw the scans a while ago I knew I had to have it as soon as it came out. And I just ordered it I CANNOT wait to get it.

WingspreadPhoenix

Le Fanu said:
This thread. Damn. Now I've got the deck on its way...
YES! Another victim...I mean, another happily converted user :3 You will be a very happy one once the deck arrives :] Look forward to it!

Vesper

Le Fanu said:
This thread. Damn. Now I've got the deck on its way...

Erk. Yeah, me too. I ordered this AND the Vampire Tarot of the Eternal Night. They should be coming in the same package.

Of the two, I think I'm much more attracted to this. Does anyone have them both, and find similarities in these two goth-inspired decks?

Golden Moon

evelone said:
Erk. Yeah, me too. I ordered this AND the Vampire Tarot of the Eternal Night. They should be coming in the same package.

Of the two, I think I'm much more attracted to this. Does anyone have them both, and find similarities in these two goth-inspired decks?

I own both. I love both of them. Teh dark angle tarot will mesmerize you deeply. AS for the vampire tarot its as if they are speaking to you. You can tell pretty much whats going on with the images.

Look at it this way, you'll have the best of both worlds. Angles and Vampires ;).

Cerulean

Just received the Dark Angels and have Eternal Night

The Eternal Night has a really nice book with color pictures. I found some of the cards funny because of some of the characters. One looks like a Johnny Depp-a-like looking over a balcony and there's an older character with gray hair that reminds me of Lurch from the old-fashioned Addams Family television show. I get the feeling of Van Helsing, Resident Evil or some kind of CG-inspired game or movie that I never take seriously, but like for just curious and interesting story themes. I find it like a series of movie stills and the scenes are tarot-like enough, especially with Barbara Moore's commentary.

Some of the scenes feel more campy to me. Sometimes the limited color palette makes the use of a dark contrasting color a little too vivid--there's one scene where a splash of red on a smiling female mouth just looks silly. She looks like she just woke up with her makeup all smeared. Many of the CGI females in Eternal Night also seem to have abundant torsos, as opposed to the thin models in a deck such as the LS Secrets.

But I find other cards more beautiful for the monochromatic feel of the scenes. I do find the dark and limited colors of each card in Dark Angels and Eternal Night similar, but there's a more painterly touch--and higher contrast in Dark Angels. Also, I think Dark Angels characters have blurred faces.

In terms of Dark Angels, I am reminded of the LS Secrets and Lo Scarabeo's first Gothic Vampires Tarot of years ago. I think the Gothic Vampires Tarot of long ago might have been one of the first really gothy painted/illustrated decks that reminded me of good graphic novel fiction. I may be more partial to painted decks after all, so the Dark Angels looks very interesting and different to me.

Forgive the my very biased viewpoint at the moment, as I'm going by my most recent impressions.

Cerulean

evelone said:

Le Fanu

*getting ominous presentiments*

I keep seeing posts from members who have bought the Dark Angels and hot footed it to trading or simply not liked it. And mine is on the way... I thought it might arrive today but it didn't.

So hoping I don't open it and wince...

gregory

Hi LF - may I reassure you maybe - I love mine and it will never end up in trading, even if I ever traded. :D And it reads GREAT.

MareSaturni

Le Fanu said:
*getting ominous presentiments*

I keep seeing posts from members who have bought the Dark Angels and hot footed it to trading or simply not liked it. And mine is on the way... I thought it might arrive today but it didn't.

So hoping I don't open it and wince...

Le Fanu, it's not a bad deck. It's has the fantastic quality of all LS decks - no weird colors, great printing, amazing card stock.

I got mine as a gift and put it for trade because I dislike "dark and sad" decks. decks. And this one very dark & sad. Besides, in my opinion, most of the "angels" look like they belonged to Marilyn Manson's family album, or were coming back from the The Crüxshadows show.

Also, I found it has a depressing atmosphere, but if you read the booklet (a very good booklet, compared to most of LS decks), you'll understand why. It's meant to be a bit "sad".

Since you are a collector, and has even the Sacred Art deck in your collection :)P), I think you may decide to keep it because it's very different. Not sure about using it though.

The only "dark" deck that I own is the Robert Place's "Vampire Tarot", and for now it's enough.

Vesper

Mine probably won't arrive until next week. I have this forum to thank for the enabling on OTT melodramatic decks like this one and the Vamps of Eternal Night, and probably the Vampyres, when it comes out, (and I've been eye-balling the Lunatic again, even though I've never liked anima-style art.)

My biggest fear is that these dark angels won't be recognizable as angels at all. And I worry that people keep comparing it to the Secret Tarot. I had that one years ago and gave it away.