how I read the GT

Izzydunne

~ Post split from New book! ~

Hi Shadowdancer:

I will attempt to answer your question on how I read the GT.

Each card has no more than 3 possible meanings.

I read horizontal lines (the most important), and vertical lines (the second most important) of the major players which are involved in the question.

There are cards to represent major players: Man, Woman, Dog, Ring, Tree for health, Anchor for job/career, Fish for Money, etc.

The cards that are in close proximity to the major players are the most important.

Rules are important, but must be kept at a minimum, so that the cards can speak.

Just look for the story, it is there, and it becomes more clear with practice.

And........although I cannot offer proof, I have a feeling that the Great Mademoiselle herself used a simple system.

ann823

Izzydunne, how many meanings do you have for each card? It would seem that to cover a huge number of possible situations you need more than 36 meanings. I'm new to this and anyway to simplify yet be effective would be welcome.

Izzydunne

Ann823:

I am happy to answer your question. As I said in the previous post, I use no more than 3 meanings per card. This gives more than enough possibilities, but not enough to confuse a new or intermediate reader. From my perspective a beginner like yourself (and what a wonderful thing to be), greatly benefits from a simple yet powerful approach to the Lenormand. Personally, I think that too many rules make it almost impossible for most folks to master the deck, and this is unfortunate. I would like to think of the Lenormand as "the peoples deck", where answers and guidance are readily available. From my perspective, the best way to get there is through simplicity.

SixDegrees

Thanks for your perspective, Izzydunne! Would you mind sharing your list of three meanings per card? It's always helpful to see different methods when it comes to constructing one's own.

daphne

I would also like to see that list, thank you!

ann823

A list would be great! I'm making digital flashcards and there are so many meanings its hard to narrow them down to start with.

Izzydunne

Meanings

I am happy to give the meanings that I use. The funny thing is that I didn't have any written down, so I took a few minutes to make this list. These should be a benefit to anyone who wishes to embrace this approach, or any other approach. Here we go........ enjoy:

1.Rider=News
2.Clover=Luck
3.Ship=Travel, movement, possible relocation
4.House=The physical house you live in, your home environment
5.Tree=Health, things that take a long time, or last a long time
6.Clouds=Confusion, can't see clearly
7.Snake=Deception
8.Coffin=Something ends
9.Bouquet=An invitation, a gift
10.Scythe=Painful, cutting away
11.Whip=Conflict, arguments, taking a beating (real or metaphor)
12.Birds=Communication, nervous energy
13.Child=Something new begins, a child
14.Fox=At best tricky and selfish, at worst a deceiver or deception
15.Bear=A strong person, a boss, reliable
16.Stars=Your dream, help from above
17.Stork=The card of change
18.Dog=Friend, loyal
19.Tower=Something big, places of authority, alone
20.Garden=Groups of people (big or small), social event, places where people get together
21.Mountain=Blocked
22.Crossroads=A choice
23.Mice=Loss, eaten away, diminishes
24.Heart=Love, something you love
25.Ring=Partnership, contracts, marriage
26.Book=Secrets, something that cannot be revealed at this time
27.Letter=Messages, documents
28.Man=You or your sweetheart
29.Woman=You or your sweetheart
30.Lily=Sex, peaceful and calm
31.Sun=Success, happiness, the good things in life
32.Moon=Recognition, your emotions
33.Key=The answer, it will come to pass
34.Fish=The money card
35.Anchor=Job/career, things that anchor you in life and give stability
36.Cross=Suffering

And there you have it. The question or the surrounding cards will indicate which meaning is to be used when there is more than one possible meaning for a card.

daphne

I like your synthesis. I use almost the same meanings, but sometimes I over analyse combinations and it gets too fuzzy.

I see the fox and the snake have the same meaning. Can you say something about a difference in their nuances?

Izzydunne

Hi Daphne:

I am happy that you like my little list of meanings. When someone has a long list of meanings for each card, then it becomes challenging to hear the story that the divine is trying to tell you through the cards, and as you say, "It gets fuzzy." Having only a few meanings per card lets a reader (even a new one) begin to instantly see the meaning of a card, and the card in combination with others. Just enough rules to keep things together, but not enough to get in the way.

And now for your question about the Fox and Snake. Yes they are both deception. With so much deception in the world, two cards are necessary to represent the full gamut of lies, cheating, and betrayal.

When the Fox deceives you he is smart and cunning. It may be hard to detect, initially.

When the Snake deceives it is more obvious, you may see it coming, but you get snake bit anyway.

daphne

And now for your question about the Fox and Snake. Yes they are both deception. With so much deception in the world, two cards are necessary to represent the full gamut of lies, cheating, and betrayal.

When the Fox deceives you he is smart and cunning. It may be hard to detect, initially.

When the Snake deceives it is more obvious, you may see it coming, but you get snake bit anyway.

That`s an interesting take!

If I may ask more questions, what about the cross, do you see it always as suffering? It does not also give you on occasions the idea of fate?