Starters Kabbalah

Little Baron

I have just started reading Isabel Radow Kliegman's book 'Tarot and the Tree of Life'. which I am finding very interesting, as it relates to the minor cards. In some cases, it is deepening my understanding of the minor arcana and the Kabbalah.

I was wondering how people here start out and whether this a good resourse for the minor cards. Can anyone recommend some good text for the majors. I recently aquired 'The Aquarian Qabalah' but a lot of it does go over my head.

I have a little knowledge of the Tree of Life but not enough for anything too heavy at the moment.

I have begun by drawing out my own, not very artistic, tree to lay the cards on, since I find it irritating to keep returning to look at the tree as I am reading the text. Have enclosed.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am using the RWS for my learning.

LB

Attachments

• kaballah.JPG
    kaballah.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 197

Little Baron

And while we are at it ...

Can someone explain why there are so many different versions with cards asigned to different paths? Is there one I should go by? How can I know which is right for me? I just read the 'Tarot of Dreams' thread about the Tree of Life. Is this saying that you can basically asign the cards to any path you think is the correct one? Is there an original?

A bit confused.

LB

Fulgour

For me it seems the only "pathways" that are clearly defined
are the three horizontal paths, which in my mind would be
the three Mother letters of Aleph, Mem, and Shin, matching
the appropriate Worlds:

Atzulit (Fire) SHIN ~ Chockmah to Binah

Briah (Air) ALEPH ~ Chesed to Gevurah

Yetzirah (Water) MEM ~ Netzach to Hod

Little Baron

Thanks Fulgour.

The Kabbalah is confusing enough but it doesn't help when there are so many different ways of working with it.

I will note down your correspondances and see what happens on the rest of my journey through this book.

Best,
LB

Umbrae

I think it’s a wonderful book.

I’m not saying I agree with everything she writes – but dang she does get one thinking…

Little Baron

I really like what she said about the cars flashing at her and how she related it to the warnings of cards in the tarot. A great way of explaining how the tarot works.

I havn't got much of it read today but plan to read some more this evening.

LB

Aeon418

LittleBuddha said:
Can someone explain why there are so many different versions with cards asigned to different paths? Is there one I should go by? How can I know which is right for me? I just read the 'Tarot of Dreams' thread about the Tree of Life. Is this saying that you can basically asign the cards to any path you think is the correct one? Is there an original?
The Major Arcana can be placed on the Tree of Life in many different ways. The only real criteria seems to be that the attribution of the cards is internally coherent and makes some sort of sense. Nearly all books on the Hermetic Qabalah use the attributions of the Golden Dawn or the Thelemic attribution of Aleister Crowley. Although some will disagree with me I would suggest that you start studying with those attributions simply because of the wide range study material available.

Little Baron

Thanks Aeon,

I find the whole thing quite confusing, as it is, and because my knowledge of it all is so slim, when there is a difference, rather than be able to digest it and compare with the other, the confusion sets in deeper. I am having trouble actually being able to differentiate between the different systems at the moment or being able to grab hold of what the sefirot actually mean, with regards to the tarot.

I am reading Kliegman's book 'Tarot and the Tree of Life' at the moment, but I also have -

The Complete Guide to the Kabbalah - Will Parfitt
The Aquarian Quabala - Naomi Ozaniec
The Power of Kabbalah - Yehuda Berg
10 Minute Kabbalah - Shoshiana Kohen

The Berg book has no mention of the tarot in it, even though it is a very enlightening book. It doesn't, if I remember correctly, deal with much of the tree either - it is more centred around Kabbalistic principles in daily life.

Parfitt's book is like a course. It is relatively heavy going and does deal with the tarot in some chapters.

The Ozeniec book - oh Jesus, I need another brain for that one. It probably deals with tarot more than any of the other three (concentrating on the paths between each major card) but it is a hard one to get through. I am going to finish the Kliegman book about the minor cards and then, with a little knowledge under my belt, have another go.

At the moment, it is really hard to get an idea of what I am learning and try to get it to make sense to the cards.

LB

Aeon418

Don't give up

LittleBuddha said:
I find the whole thing quite confusing, as it is, and because my knowledge of it all is so slim, when there is a difference, rather than be able to digest it and compare with the other, the confusion sets in deeper. I am having trouble actually being able to differentiate between the different systems at the moment or being able to grab hold of what the sefirot actually mean, with regards to the tarot.
I can fully understand your sense of confusion. But I can also see why you are confused. Learning just one Qabalistic system is hard work. Trying to learn several at the same time must be a nightmare. I work with the Hermetic/Thelemic system (the same system in Will Parfitt's book) and have done so for over 15 years. I still regard myself as a beginner. There's so much to learn and discover that I'm sure I will be busy with it for the rest of my life.

My advice would be to pick one system and learn that system. Once you've established yourself and feel confident with the basics then branch out and explore other systems if you still want to.

I'm just guessing here, but you don't sound all that confident with the general Qabalistic scheme ie. the meanings of the Sephiroth and their relations to one another. Trying to add Tarot cards to the mix is kind of like trying run before you can walk. One step at a time.

Just as an after thought. It's non of my business which books you read but when I saw "The Power of Kabbalah - Yehuda Berg" on your list I thought "Yoink !!!" Pop psychology kabbalism designed to fleece people out of money while filling their heads with stupid ideas. Sheesh.

Little Baron

Yep ... the Berg book. I bought it out of interest when a friend and I planned a lazy day in the garden, reading in the sunshine. It was an enlightening book but seemed to me, based on common-sense - resist this temptation and you'll feel the 'light'. Yes, it works, but I could have worked that out without reading the book. I didn't have much of a flick through it in the shop and throught there might be some tarot in it, but unfortunately not. I think it is aimed, mainly, at the 'market' that are connecting Kabbalah with celebrities and the 'fashionable' aspect of the religon. There is nothing about the tree in it, or the sefirot. So in that sense, it is useless. Another 'Berg' family money making gimmick, I expect, with reccomendation from Madonna - how could it not sell :D ?

Anyway ... back to the real world. Do you reccomend the Parfitt book? I did start it a few years back but with other commitments, didn't work through the whole course. I remember finding it very hard to remember the last sefirot once I was working on the next. Maybe it is just me, but sometimes, you just want an author to cut the crap and just 'tell me what it means and what is it's use!!!!'. I will continue the Kliegman book as that is quite informative about the minor arcana, but if you recommend it, I will go back to Parfitt and ease up on trying to fit the cards into the scheme of things before I have actually worked on the Kabbalah itself - does that make practical sense?

LB