Alphabetical Ba'al

Rosanne

What an Almanac!!!!

Thanks Fulgour-that seems perfect to me
Harvest the Barley-work like the Devil, put it down for three months (avoid temptation) Then go Harvest your fruit in Adaru; when the Sun goes down -drink like fish and land flat on the back of your head! Typical farmers eh!~Rosanne

venicebard

I've not read Fulgour's poem (I guess that's my problem): where is it, I'll have a look (unless it's private). I promise not to be unkind.

Listen, I was trying before to recall the name of a book I read that has several tables created by 19th-century scholars basing Phoenician on hieratic, and I finally did. It is:

Alphabetic Labyrinth: The Letters in History and Imagination (Paperback)
by Johanna Drucker, 17 available starting at $8.88 at Amazon, if you're interested. Passable book (informative). The interesting thing to me was that she kept saying this 19th-century work had been superceded by the proto-Sinaitic model, yet in the end she never presented that model: I concluded that she must have said that based on what all the academics told her but then when she went to actually study it herself she probably realized it hadn't 'superceded' the other, it only thought it had. She must have in the end been embarrassed to present a model with so many holes in it and so little solid basis.

Anyway, the charts in there you will find invaluable, at least in terms of understanding where I'm coming from with all this (and expanding your own view). Old bibles generally had these equivalents listed, with variants here and there. Then, if you're interested, I can show you the 'corrections' I impose on their theories, based on deeper considerations than they knew they were dealing with (such as the Logos). Unless you prefer people with pointy fish-beards (mine has two points, as I've been trying to train it to be forked by calling it Sven).

What you and I have in common is that we look to onomatopoeia for clues to the meaning of speech-sounds. (All I can say to those who don't is: duh... or perhaps buh-buh-buh-buh [picture my forefinger moving up and down in contact with and parallel to my lips])

Carry on.

Fulgour

venicebard said:
I've not read Fulgour's poem (I guess that's my problem): where is it, I'll have a look (unless it's private). I promise not to be unkind.
I love promises that include "un" and "not" so please enjoy.
Or should I say, buh-buh-buh-buh...

Aeclectic Tarot Forum - Poem on the 22 Hebrew letters
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=32012

Fulgour

my experience

I've been thinking about how so much is written
about what people were supposed to have once
believed about things, say for instance ~ Mars.

Almost everything that's written about this planet
follows the same logic, and tells the same stories.

But what if you lived for 10,000 years, experiencing
Mars over and over in all of its simple splendour...
wouldn't it be more like a welcome friend in the sky?

Aren't all of the planets really more like friends that
we have a personal relationship with, rather than
stories about stories, and often very sad tales too?

I enjoy anticipating each view possible of my friends
in the heavens, and don't think of them now as just
what other people say. Mars is like a twinkling kitten.

venicebard

Another Alef-bet Poem

The only poem (I think) I ever wrote delineating all the trumps and letters is in my trunk (and it’s busy picking some fresh shoots off an acacia tree) and goes in the order mothers-double-simples. Let’s try one in alef-bet order and see where it leads. (My apologies if the stanza for qof seems stretched, as there were just too many meanings to fit in—as it is, I left out ‘monkey’.) The meter is Old English strong-stress alliterative. Words in bold are the keys leading to the trumps.

THE ALEF-BET TRIUMPHS

by G.K.Spain

Upraise all, Alef—alpha tetragrammaton—
Uplift eyes to attention with your table of unsurpassed
‘Wares’ (like ox-drawn water on an arid plain).

We who are born bless’d have been beckoned before holiness:
Of the house beth-alef, we must hover here a while,
Each year to be born anew from beneath life’s sternum.

Giving of those gifts that from the gullet of fortune
Our place on the wheel has made possible the possession,
Our reward is in giving (not weight on a camel’s back).

Door through which destiny dances into view
On the sky,
be our shade (and self-sacrifice our sun):
Though we weep from dire want,* our wealth is in our mercy.

Behold, here at harvest-time, hovering over a book,
Restrained from false passions by our poise, we are unruffled.
The cause of our character? a Covenant with Light.

The vision that is unveiled to give victory to life
Is the mixing of fluids in the making of offspring,
The eternal ‘and’ that hooks souls sent us... to the world.

In zeal and zest for Zion, the zone which we embrace
Is our empress, commanding us to arm ourselves with merit,
As armor against old age and the absence of purpose.

La chaim! put your shoulder to it! help shift the burden
Of the world onto man. For admitting life’s foolishness
Opens us to wisdom: I walk, leaving the dog behind.

Wreathed round with charity and choice, our serpent,**
The here and now, beckons: bother me not with thoughts of death!
The wide world waits for us (the willing) to transmute it.

At yuletide, the year turns, yearning for increase,
Extending hand in friendship: faithfulness, rejoice
In the sun’s light’s renewal at its nadir—this spark of hope!

Light the cave of the hermit with concentrated wisdom,
Held in the palm of the hand for our harvesting and nourishment.
For what’s within the shell is what’s sought, not the shell itself.

Learning’s the thing that leads us—the leverage of the ox-goad—
To the tempering of our metal: it tames us of madness***
And abandon. Be steadfast through the struggle of the Great Work.

The mind gains immensity with mention of the owl of night,
And a vast sea of connectedness**** to self now unveils itself
To all those who humble themselves before the Ark of knowledge.

The past is but nought, and newness awakens
By sweeping away the old forms that serve us no longer...
Else it would be that wisdom would ‘waste away, deteriorate’.*****

Set upon one’s shoulders is the seat of all balance
And support, life’s pivot upon which one leans
To do justice to all things by our ‘thinking cap’ atop the spine.

It is the eye on the inside of the all-surrounding ring
That caps ‘the spring, the source’# of what summer’s heat sublimates
So it rises to the top, where it rules all that’s outer.

May peace be upon us: all poets know this issues
From the mouth of the tradition that has motioned us ‘hither’##
To Thespis in his chariot, the divine throne of prophecy.

The standard### that steadies us in the strife of this world
Which ‘lying-in-wait, malice’#### on the part of man breads
Is judgment in the ‘hunt’##### by those who're ‘just and pious’.*#

Question in quiet, then quarry wisdom’s fruit
Where the camel that can amble through the eye of a needle
If it’s moved up to man’s can by moonlight be made visible.

What rushes ahead rudely in us rules in the aftermath
With chains called karma, our choices our overthrow:
The devil’s in the details, dire for those that seek without.

Sallow with sorrow, symptom of our lightning-struck
Shallowness, the shadow, with its sharpness of tooth,
Assails us all with hissing and serpent-like wisdom.

The truth, thus taught us by the talons of suffering,
Has left its mark upon us in the lyrical, bright ‘note’*#*#
That is conscience, our power over the pull of the lion’s roar.

Notes:

* Dalet is called ‘poverty’ in the Zohar, since ‘poverty’ is spelt dalet-lamedh-waw-tav: it is said to remain where the 2nd heh of the Name is missing (since it represents vav’s sign on the Cauldron).

** Oroboros.

*** Rowan whips were used to tame bewitched horses.

**** (love)

***** The meaning of the word spelt nun-waw-nun.

# The meaning of the other word spelt ayin-yod-nun.

## Another meaning of the word spelt like ‘mouth’ in Hebrew.

### Old Semitic tzaddi was a banner waving in battle (or tilted chair)

#### Spelt tzaddi-dalet-yod-heh.

##### Spelt tzaddi-dalet (like ‘side’)

*# Spelt tzaddi-dalet-yod-qof.

*#*# Another meaning of tav.

[Edited to add my name to the pome]

Rosanne

Fulgour said:
Aren't all of the planets really more like friends that
we have a personal relationship with, rather than
stories about stories, and often very sad tales too?

From 'The Old Ones of New Mexico' by Robert Coles
Old Woman: "The stars I know and recognize and even call by name. They are my names, of course. I don't know what others call the Stars."
...but for me I guess I come from Bet-el Jooze the house of the twin, because one half of me loves my cards and their stories and accepts them as I learned them and without prejudice I have a relationship with them. My other half questions and doggs their historic beginnings and I wonder before printing how they 'used' and 'had ' their decks. Maybe I will never know, but what I hope is that I will never stop using Tarot because I have lost the magic whilst searching for ancient answers. ~Rosanne

Fulgour

the beat goes on

Itzamana was a Mayan deity who gave the people
writing and the calendar... it is thought the Moon
goddess IxChel (Lady Rainbow) was an emanation.

Rosanne

venicebard said:
Let’s try one in alef-bet order and see where it leads.
Well "I love the branches and the tight wattles" (Taliesin), but that is a very different sequence to what I am used to-so it will take some contemplation. It seems that most academics do not accept that Ogham was about as early as 2000 BCE the time of the amu or Habiru graffetti on el hol wadi. Furthermore it seems that historians believe that Ogham had the Roman Alphabet as its base-but I will study further- because I have seen stories of bones and rocks of a much earlier date. I have been told by my brother who studies in a different direction to me:-
"Do not forget in your search Rosanne for the 'original' or 'purest' of anything- that the past like the present holds errors as well as truths - and each year from year one has bought new insight to what ever was first laid down."
I keep his sage words in Mind.
I believe the the Book of Ballymoot has a Catechism, much like in my Catholic Childhood. 'Tell me child who made the World?' only Ballymoot asks 'From whence, what time, and what person, and from what cause, did the Ogham Spring?'. I ask these questions about Tarot. Well for me there is the physical
evidence which points to Italy and the 5x14 suits of the Visconti-sforza, or the Gringonneur Cards maybe. Then there is this ghostly marching of ancient feet with spectres of hands holding magical numbers like 22 and 7 and 12 and unlucky 13. There is Ezekiel's Wheels and the Worlds of the Tree of life, and the three worlds of the Cosmic Axis, and Wood lore, and Runes. They all call an echo of Tarot to me. Maybe the origin of letters was simultaneous with the creation of the Universe- a primal vibration and shape and sound of the big bang's voice. I don't know. I am trying to discover for myself step by step, and I must ride upon others jet stream in this until I settle easy with my own beliefs. Mind you, I do not want to lose my sense of Humour or stop reading the cards- so I raise my glass of Barley beer to Ba-al -A firm, Strong god, and to qoph the Monkey.~Rosanne

venicebard

Sorry (?) to complicate your world, but you seemed worth it, so I did.

Rosanne said:
It seems that most academics do not accept that Ogham was about as early as 2000 BCE the time of the amu or Habiru graffetti on el hol wadi. Furthermore it seems that historians believe that Ogham had the Roman Alphabet as its base
Most academics think the universe was originally contained ‘within’ a point (points don’t have ‘withins’) and that before that there was ‘nothing’ (whatever that is, if it’s not the space between things), thus completely contradicting their own (and my) conservation laws. Most academics believe the invariably round craters on the moon were caused by meteors, which means they would all have had to have had trajectories perpendicular to its surface (they were evidently actually caused by some sort of electrical arcing). Most academics believe that gravity is the force involved in galaxy-formation even though they cannot find 90% of the mass needed to make this possible (calling the rest ‘dark matter’ and claiming it is there but cannot be detected—nice ‘out’!): plasma physicists have created all observed forms of galaxy in miniature—and the math is ‘scalable’—in the laboratory, and they arise from the spiraling-around-each-other of parallel plasma currents or filaments, the dominant forces being electromagnetic thus making gravitation completely negligible and irrelevant. Most academics believe Euclid never proved the existence of parallel lines, when in reality it is only his assumption of existence of non-parallel lines that was ever actually brought into question (and once it’s put this way, it becomes fairly obvious these critics were themselves insane). Most academics believe with enough ‘patchwork’ they can revive Darwin, and that since creationism is silly (which it is) no-one should be allowed to hear any criticism of Darwinism in schools until students are old enough to have been indoctrinated into not having an open mind on the matter (and not even then, if they had their way): the main such criticism appears to be that if one species evolved from another why have no intermediate forms ever been found? In other words, Darwinism has become a religion or faith, as has much else academics teach, which makes me thank my lucky stars I dropped out of Dartmouth to pursue my own course. Most academics believe there is no such thing as right and wrong in human behavior, only varying degrees of being ‘disadvantaged’: if poverty causes crime, why wasn’t America crime-ridden during the Great Depression? Most academics (such as the Smithsonian) believe no Europeans came to the New World before Leif Eriksson... which is just ridiculous.

It was only ten years ago or so that I watched a documentary on PBS about navigation that claimed the ancient Egyptians thought the world was flat! (according to Stecchini’s cogent appendix to Thomkins’ Secrets of the Great Pyramid, they had a surprisingly accurate formula for the flattening at the poles, so this is probably where academics got the idea).

When it comes to ogham, you seem to be depending on everyone but epigraphers themselves, the only ones whose field gives them any claim to expertise on the subject. American archeologists cannot even read the inscriptions they claim are forgeries—though the alphabets they are assumed to be forgeries of had not yet been deciphered when these inscriptions surfaced—or (in the case of perfectly readable ogam consaine inscriptions) ‘plow-marks’. I guess they don’t even believe ogam consaine existed! since it long predates the four-stave ogham of the British Isles (the vowels being the missing 4th leg of LeBateleur’s table). Linguistic ‘criticism’ of Barry Fell (the patron saint of epigraphy) finds a few places where his notions of old Keltic differed from the prevailing model and assumes thereby to have ‘discredited’ his entire (vast) corpus of work! (they can’t stand the fact that he was self-taught, that is, that his academic training was in I believe it was oceanography)

The reality is that academia has been hawking the idea of ogham deriving from Latin for so long it is reluctant to ‘retool’—and at this point would be highly embarrassed to, considering how long it has resisted (or ignored) the evidence. When you actually look into things, you will find epigraphers much more credible than their dogmatist archeologist-critics. The archeologists, for example, still tell us the Sphinx was made in the time of Chefren, this after geologists pointed out to them this is impossible due to the erosion being water, not sand-and-wind, erosion, Egypt having been arid since the time of Chefren: it originated more like ten thousand years ago (give or take three) and had its lion head, whose lesser bulk caused it to be more misshapen by erosion than the body, re-carved into a man’s around Chefren’s time).

Well for me there is the physical evidence which points to Italy and the 5x14 suits of the Visconti-sforza, or the Gringonneur Cards maybe.
I admire Huck’s energy and find some of his discoveries fascinating, but on this he grossly overstates his case. (It appears to be a common fallacy amongst those ‘within the fold’ to confuse ‘extant today’ with ‘all there was then’, even when the bigger picture belies this.)

Then there is this ghostly marching of ancient feet with spectres of hands holding magical numbers like 22 and 7 and 12 and unlucky 13.
It is only ‘unlucky’ to monotheists, this because it was sacred to pagans, it being the number of nion the ash, the ‘world-tree’, meaning the wood of handles whereby man grasps the world. (I guess man’s hand on one of the signs ‘doubles’ it.) It is the ‘world-tree’ because the universe is demonstrably anthropocentric. Notice I didn’t say anthropomorphic, though it’s that too according to Gnosticism and Kabbalah (and me).

There is Ezekiel's Wheels and the Worlds of the Tree of life, and the three worlds of the Cosmic Axis...
(Could these last have been the 3 mothers? I should look into this.) Ezekiel didn’t invent his wheels but merely managed to get his glimpse of them transferred to writing: the wheels themselves have been ‘rolling’ forever.

Maybe the origin of letters was simultaneous with the creation of the Universe- a primal vibration and shape and sound of the big bang's voice. I don't know.
If the universe (and upright sentient beings) had not always been around, this would certainly be true. Take my word for it, the big bang (in its 4th or 5th incarnation now?)—unlike Darwinism, which was at least a cogent hypothesis—is one of the silliest, most childish theories ever put forth by the ‘mind’ of man, sillier by far than Church doctrines of the Middle Ages (which were silly enough), let alone some of the more probing cosmological ideas of that era.

But don’t take my word for any of this... oh, I see you don’t plan to:

I am trying to discover for myself step by step, and I must ride upon others jet stream in this until I settle easy with my own beliefs. Mind you, I do not want to lose my sense of Humour or stop reading the cards- so I raise my glass of Barley beer to Ba-al -A firm, Strong god, and to qoph the Monkey.~Rosanne
Good for you—you go girl! or is it only proper for women to use this expression? I assure you I mean no condescension (ah ain’t mean, so ah cain’t mean it!)