history of the 22 paths?

kwaw

Huck said:
Yes, that's nice, that leads, when focusing, to an optical sensation ... but did the author of SY have the same painting conditions? Likely not.

Simple geometry, so I don't see why it is unlikely, I've drawn it myself with nib and ink with aid of a compass and ruler, I am not that proficient at technical drawing but even for me it is quite straightforward. A very effective pattern can also simply be made with pins and coloured threads.

Likely parts of SY are older than other parts.

True, most scholars seem to be of that opinion.

The astrological parts for instance should be younger than the whole concept.

Astronomy, geometry and perhaps even forms of script [it has been suggested by some scholars that letter forms from phoenician to chinese ideograms are related to mapping of constellations] have a close relationship that goes way back before the SY.

Kwaw

jmd

I am aware, Huck, that the Sefer Yetzirah opens with the words 'With 32 mystical/wondrous paths of wisdom engrave(d) Yah', and do take that my post from last night made it appear that I was referring to this.

In fact, I was more concerned that no direct equivocation was made between this opening and the later appended text of the same name (Cf A. Kaplan Sefer Yetzirah p 296 ff).

Still, I take the point that there is a direct internal evidence that thirty-two is also the number of items listed in the very next segment (1:2), specifically mentioning the ten Sefirot and the twenty-two letters. It needs to also be considered in the context of the tradition - ie, Jewish tradition - in which the serious student would know and understand and be wise to the close connection between the heart (BL), 32, and the Torah.

The text then gains a direct anagogical meaning in its opening: 'With the heart of the Torah's way of wisdom created/engraved Yah'.

This is quite consistent with internal broader exegesis of the texts (plural).

I also tend to agree with both kwaw and A. Kaplan that as the text directly mentions that the letters be positioned in a sphere/circle, and that the 231 gates are thereby formed, the linear lines are implied, resulting in tangential envelopes for ten circles - and, of course, an eleventh central point through which passes lines connecting the gate-posts diametrically arranged.

These, however, I would personally not characterise as 'paths'.

But we have certainly moved away from stagfoot's opening question - and it seems that none of us have an earlier reference than Gikatilla for the earliest depiction of the Tree of Life as ten spheres arranged with connecting lines or 'paths'. However, perhaps I have missed something, but had linked Rabbi Gikatilla with the depiction of the the Tree as depicted on the Latin translation of his Gates of Light, and does not, to my eyes, depict twenty-two connections.

As it is one of the images on my slowly developing site, I'll here simply link to it for the image - and stand to be corrected if this is not the Tree of Life referred to (right-hand image, by the way). The number of connections there is sixteen, by the way (including a 'forked' connection), making a total (if one wants to add the Sefirot) of 26 (the value of IHVH).

kwaw

jmd said:
I am aware, Huck, that the Sefer Yetzirah
The text then gains a direct anagogical meaning in its opening: 'With the heart of the Torah's way of wisdom created/engraved Yah'.

In several canaanite languages, and in chaldean and also Egyptian 'heart' and 'wisdom' are sometimes found used as synonyms. In Egyptian hieroglyphs for example, the ibis head, symbol of Thoth God of Wisdom [and 'creator' of writing] was sometimes used to represent the Egyptian word 'lb' - heart, as in myth Thoth was called the 'heart of Ra [or of the Sun]'.

But we have certainly moved away from stagfoot's opening question - and it seems that none of us have an earlier reference than Gikatilla for the earliest depiction of the Tree of Life as ten spheres arranged with connecting lines or 'paths'. However, perhaps I have missed something, but had linked Rabbi Gikatilla with the depiction of the the Tree as depicted on the Latin translation of his Gates of Light, and does not, to my eyes, depict twenty-two connections.

Your right JMD, it doesn't depict 22, thanks for the correction. There is no discussion of the paths in the text either, being primarily concerned with the divine names associated with the sefiroth.

Kwaw

Huck

Something, I don't understand in the moment ... Gerschom Scholem mentioned once, that another researcher had proposed, that there is a relationship between the "Hymn of the pearl" in the apocryphical text of Thomas and Sepher Yetzirah. I looked the passage up, and indeed I found something about a "32".
I looked the text up in internet, and I didn't found it in English translations.

http://www.metalog.org/files/hymn-pearl.txt

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Hymn_of_the_pearl

My German source is not reachable ... does anybody know anything about a "32" in the "Hymn of the pearl"?

The Hymn of the pearl might be older than SY (1st century AD ?).

Rosanne

kwaw said:
Astronomy, geometry and perhaps even forms of script [it has been suggested by some scholars that letter forms from phoenician to chinese ideograms are related to mapping of constellations] have a close relationship that goes way back before the SY.

Kwaw

yay!!! thanks for that observation Kwaw- I have been chasing that idea for months and have understood only a little- but I am working on my 22 Paths starting with Aldebaran the eye of Taurus- The Magician (which could be the eye of the fool of course ;) ) ending back at Tau Ceti biting the buttocks of Taurus underwater (Cetus the sea Monster) :bugeyed: Oh what a Fool that tau Ceti is!! ~Rosanne

kwaw

Rosanne said:
yay!!! thanks for that observation Kwaw- I have been chasing that idea for months and have understood only a little-

Given your interest in possible relationships between alphabetic script form and constellations you might find of interest:

The Alphabet and the Ancient Calendar Signs by Moran, H., & Kelly, D., 1953 [2nd edition in 1969 by Daily Press]

Before Columbus by Gordon, C. [Crown, 1971]

Writing by Diringer, D. [Praeger,1962]

Kwaw

Rosanne

Many thanks Kwaw for the titles- I will try to acquire or badger the poor librarian again ( I think she hates me!!!) ~Rosanne

MikeTheAltarboy

Hahahah!
Rosanne, I have the same problem. ;-) About every month I'll go in and request 4 - 6 books, and they can never find more than 1, maybe.

-Michael

kwaw

Rosanne said:
Many thanks Kwaw for the titles- I will try to acquire or badger the poor librarian again ( I think she hates me!!!) ~Rosanne

I'd also recommend The Alphabetic Labyrinth by Johanna Drucker as good overview in which to evaluate various theories in perspective. It includes reference of the proponents of the celestial alphabet theory; also of the bardic/ogham/hebraic connections that veniceboard is so enthusiastic about, kabbalah and much else besides.

Kwaw

jmd

I second that recommendation - a very good survey, introduction, and key points.