Aleph -- Ox

Dulcimer

I'm beginning to find this thread is bringing tears to my eyes!

Dulcimer

Helvetica said:
"Tamed" is not synonymous with "extinct".

Well of course not. I simply meant that I could not think of a naturally occuring tame animal (which is what I took "oxen are always, by nature, tamed" to mean) except for the dodo. A naturally occuring tame animal = a naturally occuring dead animal.
It is easy to misunderstand when words are all we are dealing with. I apologise if I did.

firecatpickles

Original question:

rainwolf said:
So how does The fool represent Ox?

The Fool is the preadolescent androgyne, unsure of h/er body and placement in life, happily going forward, innocently, without a care in the world. Think of your average 6th grader (I teach 6th grade English --for you Europeans, 6th graders are about 11-years-old). They look like pretty boys (girls) or ugly girls (boys). [Aside: It is distressing to see one whom you KNOW is clinically depressed --the antithesis of what the Fool embodies-- and you dare say nothing to the child's parents lest a lawsuit ensues (yes, it has gotten that bad here in these United States...)]

The Ox is the post-castrated, tame, but yet undomesticated animal, which still needs to be trained-by-the-yolk in the way Helvetica is explaining. In this respect, The Fool cannot really do anything wrong that is unfixable, still getting into some pretty hairy situations. S/he can afford to do this because s/he is under constant vigilance by some other Force, namely the Strength/Leo card. All the cards from 0 - 8 serve as guidance for the Fool. The Hermit 9 indicates a grown-up fool (The Hand, "Yod"), fully trained and domesticated by-the-hand, as it were, and on h/er own. Cards over 9 all imply independence from external, worldy, influence; and they imply that the Fool is on h/is own from here on out.

I don't know about you, but I am getting the Fool a lot more now.

firecatpickles

Dulcimer said:
... I could not think of a naturally occuring tame animal
The human being isn't even a naturally-occurring tame animal.

kwaw

kwaw said:
[So ALPh it appears does not mean 'ox' specifically but can mean cattle, cow, bull, calf or ox depending upon context and how it is conjugated.]

Kwaw

From Strongs and Brown-Driver-Briggs lexicons:

ALPh/ALVPh=

masculine noun, plural : cattle, oxen, ALVPh:cows
masculine noun: thousand, chief [duke, governer], ALVPh:chief, friend, intimate
adjective: ALVPh: tame, docile
verb:ALPh: learn[qal],teach[Pi]

So ALPh = cattle, oxen, learn/teach, thousand, chief
and ALVPh = cows, friend, intimate, tame, docile

From Jastrow,
The letter aleph:
as a numeral letter to indicate '1', as a prefix followed by a dagesh meaning 'upon, over'

the word ALPh:
thousand
to join, be joined [ie yoke, yoked]
to become used, to learn, study, train one's self
ALYPh [verb of ALPh] - accustomed, used to.
Piel form: to train, teach,
Ithpa form [ATALPh]: to exercise, practice, exert one's self.
AL"Ph =alef, the first letter of the alphabet.
ALVPh prince, chief ie ALVPhV ShL OLM = 'the worlds chief' [Aleph ie, Adam kwaw note: Adam - initially male and female or neuter from latin 'ne'=not uter='which of two']

Kwaw