English Qabala of W.G. Gray

northsea

I happened upon this version of the tree of life:

http://www.lelandra.com/tarotbook/englishqabalah.htm

and was wondering if any Aeclectic people prefer this to the GD or Continental versions (or could at least explain it to me).

Also, does this website have the standard tree of life assignments for the Continental version? (And can anyone refer me to a website with a chart of such?) I'm wanting to compare the Golden Dawn and Levi tree of life.

And one more question: page 17 of the encyclopedia of tarot shows path 28 as Tzaddi Emperor, but the website shows the Golden Dawn assignment for 28 as the Star. Why is there a switch between 15 and 28?

Grigori

northsea said:
And one more question: page 17 of the encyclopedia of tarot shows path 28 as Tzaddi Emperor, but the website shows the Golden Dawn assignment for 28 as the Star. Why is there a switch between 15 and 28?

The website is right that the GD assignment is Tzaddi the Star, but they are wrong to use the Thoth deck to illustrate that. Crowley swapped Tzaddi (formerly The Star, and Heh formerly The Emperor) in his deck.

So GD version is:
Heh = Emperor
Tzaddi = Star

Thoth Version (based on GD)
Tzaddi = Emperor
Heh = Star

This is because in Crowley's Book of Law there is the phrase "Tzaddi is not the Star" (I may be paraphrasing a bit I forget). So swapping those two fixes that little problem and also justifies maintaining the Justice = 8 and Strength = 11 numbering, as that numbering switches Libra and Leo around the zodiac.

northsea

thank you, similia, that explains the switch. :)

Fulgour

rainy day diversions

The 22 Trumps on the Tree of Life
by Mark Filipas

One of the more interesting connections between
the Kabbalah and Tarot is drawn through comparison
to the Tree of Life, a diagram held to represent the
mathematical structure of the Universe. These are
some of the correspondence systems which have
been proposed.

http://www.spiritone.com/~filipas/Masquerade/Esoteric/Tree/

Copyright © 2000 Mark Filipas

northsea

Thank you for the link, fulgour, exactly what I was looking for.

Now the only remaining question for this post is if anybody here on Aeclectic prefers the W.G. Gray version? Just wondering. I don't have any opinion about it myself as I haven't looked at it closely, and haven't arrived at any preference regarding the tarot tree of life or qabalah.

Fulgour

What I did was create hand drawn Tree of Life diagrams,
coloured and everything, so like little posters really, and
even though I did one stricktly "Golden Dawn" just to be
exactly sure I could see what on earth they were up to,
my favourite is now my own, designed by me. Remember
that if you stretch the thing out, it's a straight line too...
X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X then it folds up all ziggy zaggy.
After awhile I think most people give up on pathways. :)

jmd

There have at various times been contributors who seem to have preferred Gray's version - and there undoubtedly will be again. After all, his suggestions have there own internal sense (even if I do not personally agree that they have a 'naturalness' to them at all!)

A related thread, by the way, is:

northsea

Thank you, jmd, that thread covers my main question.