Twelve Sephiroth?

mythos

Okay, I'm a KBL novice in every way, but yesterday, the Meals on Wheels guy (80+ years under his belt), who delivers meals to my parentals, insisted, with glittering eyes, that there are really 12 sephiroth. He is a bit of a know-it-all in every respect, but I am curious whether anyone has come across a system which adds 2 sephiroth to the Tree of Life.

All my toe in the water dabbling has never lead me in this direction - or is it some kind of 'secret' knowledge that only an 'initiate' would relate to - like there are 10 but ...... Thinking here of the 32 paths mystification, which is hardly a mystery any more.

Obviously if this 'secret' exists, I didn't pass the test and get the secret handshake or anything.... but my curiosity is peaked.

mythos:)

thinbuddha

Well, there is Daath...... Perhaps he was mis-stating and really meant to say that there were really 11?

bradford

Twelve Sepiroth?

Ten Sephirot Belimah. Ten and not nine. Ten and not eleven.

This is from the QBLH's first book, the Sefer Yetzirah, which dates from maybe the 6th century ce.

Daath, or Knowledge, has an acknowledged place on the Tree of Life,
but nobody with Knowledge calls it one of of the Sephirot. Daath had to be included though, at least for the number of times it appears in the Torah along with Hhokmah and Binah.

mythos

Thanks ... that was my understanding, having read the Seph-Yetz (abbr.). This guy is a bit of a know-it-all. Anything you know, he knows more, or better or different. Any place you talk about, he's been there and saw more ... you know the type! I just didn't want to dismiss the issue without getting a bit of feedback here from those more knowledgeable than I.

mythos:)