English Cabala/Qabalah

Leisa

I'm very interesting in looking at the Idea of an English Qabalah. I've put together a few webpages/database that calculates and stores values of words with different number mappings.

I'm curious if anyone is using a system and what their experience is with it.

My site is:
http://www.tarotjourney.net/qabalah/

fyreflye

Leisa said:
I'm very interesting in looking at the Idea of an English Qabalah. I've put together a few webpages/database that calculates and stores values of words with different number mappings.
I'm curious if anyone is using a system and what their experience is with it.
My site is:
http://www.tarotjourney.net/qabalah/

Are you working with the Thelemic system?

MikeTheAltarboy

I'm unable to be at all convinced of an english qabala *yet* - having not found what I could buy as an appropriate letter-to-number scheme.

I can't accept the a=1, b=2 ... z=26 system, because the ramifications are that a relatively arbatrary date in time (1600s I believe), everything after "i" gets shifted a number with the introduction of "j", and similarly we added "v" and "w", dropped Thorn, and added and dropped a final "s".

Since this changes the gematria of words not based on *spiritual* purposes, but on the whims of fashion in spelling, I'm skeptical that I could find meaning.

What I *would* be open to would be a use of either the strict *Roman* alphabet on the same lines, a modified English alphabet with Thorn and Wynn either on the same lines, or with those letters inserted at the points they might exist in hebrew or greek, our alphabet reorganized to align with the greek system, and/or with the varients we now use (j, w, v) placed at the end, probably.

My thoughts. :)

Leisa

Thelemic is one of the systems I've been looking at.

I agree with MikeTheAltarboy that A=1 ... Z=26 seems very unlikely. Our letters are Roman derived from greek and our numbers are arabic in origin.

Hebrew seems designed for meaning. Letters have a numeric value that is not the same as the order of the alphabet.

I do think it would be fun for something to pan out.

jmd

Another thread that discusses this directly is English alphabet considerations....

Personally, though I tend to see much merit in Hebrew Gematria due to the intrinsic numerical value of symbols that are both numbers and letters, the expanded Roman alphabet (ie, the letters we use) does not, and thus the numerical aspect seems to me a superimposed structure.

Still, I realise that many also use varieties or numerological considerations with regards to our alphabet, and so is a handy addition!