Fool's Dog Tarot Apps!!

Evil Weevil

I see The Fairy Tale Tarot is available now on iOS and Android.

Harperhaven

Reversals in Fools Dog Apps

Sometimes I use reversals....sometimes I don't.

I have noticed however, when I turn reversals on in my Fools Dog apps I seem to get an abnormally high number of reversed cards in my spreads. I could understand this once in a while, but this seems to be the norm.

For example, I just ran two tests:
Celtic Cross - I ran this 10 times and averaged 5 reversals per spread.
I only had 1 spread that had less than 4 reversals. I had one with 7
reversals.

4-Card Divination Spread - I ran this 5 times and averaged 2.7
reversals per spread. I didn't have any spread with less than 2
reversals.

When I use physical cards, I don't get nearly as many reversals even if I riffle shuffle. So.....How does the app program deal with reversals? Does it work like a random number generator or is there a sort of bell-curve thats being used?

JasonLion

Harperhaven,

If you look at things from a math point of view, you expect about half of the cards to be reversed, but you should also expect a fair bit of variation from that on any given occasion. It takes a very large number of trials to get statistically meaningful results. If exactly half the cards were reversed every time you did a small trial, that wouldn't be very random.

From a divination point of view, the cards should respond to the situation, producing more upright cards, or reversed cards, or equal numbers, depending on what the situation calls for.

Winterchild

Sometimes I use reversals....sometimes I don't.

I have noticed however, when I turn reversals on in my Fools Dog apps I seem to get an abnormally high number of reversed cards in my spreads. I could understand this once in a while, but this seems to be the norm.

For example, I just ran two tests:
Celtic Cross - I ran this 10 times and averaged 5 reversals per spread.
I only had 1 spread that had less than 4 reversals. I had one with 7
reversals.

4-Card Divination Spread - I ran this 5 times and averaged 2.7
reversals per spread. I didn't have any spread with less than 2
reversals.

When I use physical cards, I don't get nearly as many reversals even if I riffle shuffle. So.....How does the app program deal with reversals? Does it work like a random number generator or is there a sort of bell-curve thats being used?

Interesting question!

I have no answers, but I do tend to use my Apps more to examine the cards in detail or in the dark ;o) I also use them for daily or one card draws if I am in a hurry to get out the door. I rarely use them for more than a one card reading.

Having said that, I shuffled a physical deck very thoroughly yesterday, cut it etc... and ended up with a four card reading of 4 swords...

It would be interesting to get the same deck and app and shuffle both for the same question/querent and see how the results of the reading compare? I may try this when I get some some to play again...!

Harperhaven

Backups of Journal and Settings

I had to do a factory reset on my phone today. While I did a back-up prior to the reset it doesn't save app data so all my journal entries were lost. (I don't have a rooted phone nor do I want to root my phone)

Are there any plans on having some way to back-up the Fools Dog app data (settings and journal entries) or a way to export the journal other than by sending each entry as an individual e-mail?

JasonLion

On iOS devices the journal and settings are saved in your iCloud backup. If you restore your device from the iCloud backup the journal and settings will be restored along with everything else.

On Android devices we request that the journal and settings be backed up by Google backup. That will cause the journal and settings to be restored any time you install the app. However, there are a few devices which do not support Google backup.

jolie_amethyst

On iOS devices the journal and settings are saved in your iCloud backup. If you restore your device from the iCloud backup the journal and settings will be restored along with everything else.

On Android devices we request that the journal and settings be backed up by Google backup. That will cause the journal and settings to be restored any time you install the app. However, there are a few devices which do not support Google backup.

Jason--as always, thanks for responding here! Just a heads up, it would be VERY helpful if alternate backup methods were available on iOS. It's not at all uncommon for Apple support to suggest that you *don't* restore from backup. And those of us who jailbreak--as I do for legitimate reasons--almost never restore from backup.

Then there's the "all your eggs in one basket" problem. Backups do fail. For most purposes, I don't even purchase an app that doesn't allow me to back up to at least two cloud services...usually iCloud and Dropbox.

Meanwhile, I suppose I'll continue to email the really important readings to myself for an additional backup method prior to updating. I can live with losing the daily draws, but there are some readings that I already copy into Notebooks for iPad, and sync to Dropbox that way...

Grigori

I'm really enjoying the Fool's Dog apps. I purchased the Rosetta some time ago, and have been using it as my only regular electronic deck. I've only just discovered how many decks were available in these apps, and extremely excited to see the Original Mythic as one of them which I've just downloaded. I also love that the druid Animal and Druid Plant are available in the one app, so that is likely my next purchase. Great to see these OOPS decks made available this way.

I've found the functionality excellent when using the Rosetta app. I'd similarly love to see a version with the Thoth if that becomes possible. Thanks for making these available JasonLion :)

Harperhaven

Jason--as always, thanks for responding here! Just a heads up, it would be VERY helpful if alternate backup methods were available on iOS. It's not at all uncommon for Apple support to suggest that you *don't* restore from backup. And those of us who jailbreak--as I do for legitimate reasons--almost never restore from backup...

Hi Jason....I agree with jolie_amethyst. From my Android perspective, I very much dislike giving Google any more information about me than what they already have. It would be wonderful if we could pull down the info to the place of our choosing....like our own PC's. Some sort of export function.

The apps are terrific as they stand. This is just a wish list thing.

Linfang

Hi Jason, I saw that you released the Book of Shadows As Above app recently. Any chance the As Below app might follow?