Properties of Ivory?

diane drizzy

Well said Oddity.

Ayram

Bone, tooth, horn, skin, fur, feather are body parts from living beings. Body parts can be used to create a link to the specific animal it comes from and to the Animal Spirit behind every animal of its kind, if that is your particular spiritual path.

But. This is important:

These body parts are not just any items, they come from living, feeling, thinking, loving beings. To get them means someone has to die. (exception: feathers and some horns that are shed regularly.)

Body parts can be used in healing work, and lots of other work. This works NOT because of any inherent quality of the bone, tooth or claw itself, but works through the link to the animal. The bone itself has NO healing property in itself. In itself, it's just bone, hair, tooth, same things as you yourself are made of. Calcium, keratin, protein. Nothing special, no big deal.

Superstitions like "tiger tooth gives you stamina" is just one thing that makes humans hunt some species to extinction. Please don't contribute to that kind of misuse. (This is not to anyone specifically but a general plea to all.)

Consider animal spirits, and cultures that honestly work with the animal spirits. These cultures know that it is extremely important to show respect for the animal whose spirit you want to work with. Otherwise your remedy is useless at best, and at worst you could be in big trouble.

Consider what kind of connection you will have with the spirit, if the body parts you are using have been taken from the animal, without respect?

Do you think the spirit of, say, an elephant - hunted, hurt and slaughtered for the money its tusks are worth - will be a spirit happy to heal and help? Just a thought.

This is why I personally think it is a very bad idea to use body parts for any kind of spiritual work, unless you know exactly where it comes from. You are workiing with someone, not something.

Using body parts requires thought and respect, and taking responsibility for every step that has lead to you holding the bone, tooth, or whatever part.

Worldwide, animals are hunted to the brink of extinction for their body parts, that people believe will cure potency problems or hair loss or whatever superficial illnesses. I can't possibly imagine that there can be anything healing coming from that kind of misuse and abuse.

As diane drizzy said, too much painful baggage.

If you want ivory, use mammoth ivory. It is legal, because the mammoth can't become any more extinct than it already is. ;)

I hope this post doesn't come across as harsh or accusing anyone, but I needed to say this. The post is written in honesty, to give information and to provoke thought, not to make anyone feel bad.

These things are, in my opinion and experience, things that need to be addressed and considered if anyone is thinking of working seriously with body parts of animals. Everything has karmic consequences, especially if you are using something that someone else had to die so you eventually could own it.

Blessings,
/J.

This is a very old post I know, but I just want to thank you for your very important words. I'm looking up an antique whale tooth's "properties" - that belonged to my great grandpa - and needed to hear that.

RiverRunsDeep

Using body parts requires thought and respect, and taking responsibility for every step that has lead to you holding the bone, tooth, or whatever part.

Completely agree with this. I own a beautiful piece of carved ivory in the shape of an elephant, that originally belonged to my grandmother. It was her good luck charm and, when she died, it was passed on to my sister. When my sister died, it was passed on to me. I don't feel that the ivory has good or bad luck attached to it, but I keep it enclosed in a hidden pocket of my handbag. I know it is there, but no one else needs to know about it. I would never purchase a piece of ivory myself, but this piece makes me feel connected to both my grandmother and my sister. And, whenever I look at it, I feel immense reverence and honor towards the special being this ivory came from.

celticnoodle

That is a beautiful post, RRD. :) T.Y. for sharing.