Four Thieves Oil

pink daliha

Padma- The legend, (for it is a legend) is that there was a group of thieves who would plunder the houses of those who died of plague, but never got sick. The idea was that they were able to ward off sickness with facecloths (masks) sprinkled or soaked in vinegar steeped with a combination of herbs. Thus the name.

celticnoodle

I've never heard of four thieves oil, but I have some four thieves vinegar from here
http://www.luckymojo.com/fourthievesvinegar.html you can actually ingest it, some folks put it on their salads. It does smell like it would be a very good dressing. I have not used it that way yet.

oh, now see, I think I'd be more interested in this then using the oil to 'clean the air'. though that is also a good thing to do. I buy oils to fragrance the air and clean it or do other things--keep pests away, etc. but then after the initial using said oil a few times tend to forget about it. However, having some vinegar flavored with it would more likely be used on a regular basis--as I cook a lot with flavored vinegars. My favorite is our home made rosemary and vinegar. Very simple, but oh, sooooo good! thanks, Prudence for sharing this too.

Hello :) Yes, I'm not spending much time here at AT of late... Life... :-/ Thank you all for your info sharing... i've googled it as well as noted your recipe, GD. I have all but one of those oils already in my oils collection, so will go shopping for the cinnamon oil... is anyone certain whether it is oil derived from leaf or bark of cinnamon, because i have a cinnamon tree... only a baby, but it has bark already in abundance, and i was thinking I could make up the oil combination and then infuse some fresh bark neat into the oil... :)

Oh, I've also seen tea tree oil included, and as that grows locally, i have that, too, so will most likely include that as it's my go-to anti everything icky oil :)

wow, linnie! so cool! Your own cinnamon tree! and to get tea tree oil fresh locally too, is way coo. :thumbsup:

and, btw, miss ya. I have noticed you were gone for awhile last month. Its good to have you posting again. :)

Padma- The legend, (for it is a legend) is that there was a group of thieves who would plunder the houses of those who died of plague, but never got sick. The idea was that they were able to ward off sickness with facecloths (masks) sprinkled or soaked in vinegar steeped with a combination of herbs. Thus the name.

thanks pink daliha. interesting legend! :)

Great Dane, you have finally gotten me to purchase Oregano Oil, though I've not begun using it yet. I always check w/my doctor before I begin using things like this--just to be sure it won't interfere with my meds. I will be on the look out for this oil too. :) You are always a wealth of information re: oils.

eta: just read the ingredients in the Four Thieves Vinegar. MMMM! It sounds DELICIOUS! :) and reading through the whole page there was really a fun delight. It seems this is a perfect vinegar for many things, to ward off sickness and also ill mannered people! who knew? :laugh:

greatdane

Just spritzed my vents as well as my air purifier filters

I keep a spray bottle with several drops of Four Thieves and spritz everything from carpeting, vents, a bit in the air. I esp like it on my filters for my little air purifier. I just spritz a new filter and let it dry before inserting in vent or air purifier. Obviously, it's important it not be wet when you put it in.

If the hot air coming from vents in the winter kicks up your allergies, you may like to try this.

greatdane

HI KX5 I get mine from Amazon

And Amazon shows BOTH by Eden's Garden. I think Eden's Garden just renamed it as it has the same ingredients. I just ordered 30 mg of the FOUR THIEVES on Amazon for about 22 inc shipping. It goes quite a long way. You can just get the one you linked to and get the smallest one. I think they have a 5mg, to try.

I just in baking soda as a carpen freshener and just mix with water in a spray bottle.

LOVE this stuff.

kx5

Hehe, alright, thank you very much :)

The Universe Knows

Yes, they did recently change the name (and may have changed it twice?). Thieves ends up in my online cart a lot, but I can't pull the trigger. Think it's about wanting to smell it first.

There are lots of versions out there with various price points. I dig Eden's oils, though. Pure essentials. You know what you're getting, and if it's a blend, they say so and what it's a blend of--because they are purposely selling it for the blended qualities. Another well-known company offers their oils for a great price, sold as X or Y oil, but the bottles show X or Y is blended with "other oils."

What are the top and bottom notes of Eden's former Four Thieves?

greatdane

The last bottle I got....30 mg

top note was clove, then probably cinnamon. I LOVE Eden's Garden, BUT their batches can vary and I have asked for a new one a couple times, not of this oil though.

The more oils in a bottle, the more it seems it can...vary. But it doesn't happen often.

I have had about three bottles of Eden's Garden Four Thieves, and I always get thru Amazon, and have been very satisfied with them all.

But yes, for me, it's the clove I smell first, then maybe the cinnamon and eucalyptus. But clove is pretty strong, so perhaps that's why.

What I like is that while one can vacuum, have an air purifier, they won't necessarily CLEAR the air of things like germs. So this is like a one, two punch :) of clean and kill bad things :). Baking soda and four thieves I mix together in a baggie and sprinkle on the carpeting, put in a spray bottle to spray about the room, and put on filters before I change them, let dry and then install them in vents or in my air purifier. I use several drops in a quite small water spray bottle, but I would advise starting slowly to see how you feel about the scent.
I love it, but tastes and noses vary :).

The Universe Knows

Patchouli (I LOVE it...so medieval and "takes me back") is an oil that can vary greatly from batch to batch even with the best growers, a good season/harvest, etc., so perhaps an oil or two in Thieves can vary as well.

My last two patchouli oils I ordered from Eden's smells...more like cedar, or dirt and wood chips, until it has a chance to breathe outside the bottle for a quite a bit of time.

Thanks for letting me know the notes. I can pull the trigger now. :)

greatdane

Let us know what you think The Universe Knows

I happen to get Eden's Garden. I know there are many brands, but I got it and liked this one.

I think the winter is the time I use it the most.