Numerology for the pips

Moonbow

Can we talk about the methods used by each of us for reading the pips, and what keywords we use for each number?

We constantly hear that there is no right or wrong way to read with the Marseilles and so those of us that have been using it for a while settle into our own method. Usually this is a mish mash of what we have picked up from reading books or from the methods of other people. We try to look beyond what we currently use for newer and better methods.

Recently on these forums we have had new examples of how to read the pips and its my belief that its the understanding and reading of the pips which deters many people from trying to read with a Marseilles deck. Pips are the stumbling block.

Do you use the element plus basic numerology method? Or perhaps link the pips to the Trumps? Do you use Camoins method, or an astro one. Or as Melancholic does, the Theology or Arithmetic from Iamblichus?

I have used element and numerology plus looking at the card in a deeper way, I have also linked to the Trump, but in the last 6 months I have tried various new and mixed up methods. I used to think I had it sussed, but now I find that my method is still evolving...

For an excellent start I suggest reading the current thread where Melancholic generously shares his method, which starts at around post 211:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=1614&page=5&pp=50

Would anyone else like to share theirs?

Bernice

You're right about the 'mish-mash' Moonbow, and the evolution....

My 'method' has bits from cartomancy, astrology, geomancy, numerology, and personal idosyncrasies (spelling!). But that's the best thing about the Marseille! You can use it with a structured or non-structured approach.

I'm not too keen on giving the pips a 'set' structure. For me, that would be conforming to the preferences of RWS readers. If I want to 'conform' to someone elses set-meanings, I'd use their deck.

Just my two-penneth.

Bee :)

Moonbow

Hi Bernice

Set structure seems to work for some people. I have a friend who uses Papas' method of reading pips and others use cartomancy methods for Tarot. It seems a little too much work to me.

I admit that I am very intrigued by some of what Mel writes, not so much the astrology...yet, but I am reading up on Iamblichus and its getting me to look at numbers differently. I feel movement in my method happening... :)

Moonbow

Does anyone know if Carole Sedillot's book Ombres et lumières du tarot gives number meanings?

If anyone has the book, can they please post here telling us, briefly, what they are?

tmgrl2

I have Klea's Les Lettres-Nombres which I used frequently when I first started doing online readings...it is a very big book! It's also in French, but I found it very helpful at the time...now, though, I keep it pretty simple...relate the suit, the position, the card and the number together within the reading.

I use the basic meanings that have arisen from the myriad of threads here on use of numbers...but like the list Umbrae has put together...I reread that periodically.

terri

frelkins

tmgrl2 said:
but like the list Umbrae has put together...I reread that periodically.

do you have the link to that please?

teomat

I've been trying to use the 'Trumps 1-10 to pips' method, but I also use Trumps 11-20 for the reversed pips.

It's been a bit hit and miss, and I have struggled with assigning the Magician and Strength to the Aces (they seem to stand on their own and don't need a Trump assignment). I started this method with my Tarot Classic deck, and did a few daily draws to see how it would go (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=97369).

It's an interesting technique, and I like it because it doesn't rely on 'outside' sources (i.e numerology etc) - the method is self-contained within the deck itself.
However probably the biggest stumbling block I have is figuring out what each suit actually means. I'm so used to the RWS (where you don't have to consider the actual suit emblem, since the picture itself helps you out), that I'm struggling with how I can correspond each suit with an aspect of life.
I know the 'usual' correspondences (i.e cups=water,love, family etc, coins=earth,money etc), but they seem too vague and inconsistent to me. I guess I want something more concrete and fixed - although I know this is very difficult to achieve with tarot.

Bernice

Tyeing Minors to Majors:

I had a look at the approach that ties the pips to the majors. It did look interesting. But it nagged me that the pips existed first, and were then tagged on to the 22 'picture' cards (trifioni).

So I reasoned that the 22 majors and the court cards, because they had been 'peoplized' to go with the social set-up at that time, could probably be tied together somehow, but not the remaining pip cards (1 - 10).

Notice I didn't say 'ace'. This is another evolution of my 'method' - lol.
Now that I know the first card (one/un) was re-named 'ace', and that the word 'ace' had a negative meaning - I'm revising (and re-programming) my ideas about it. This is Moonbows fault.... for furnishing me with info. about the Ace. My thanks go to you Moonbow. :)

Bee

frelkins

hey terri, well that list, even from Umbrae is very RWS, as you can tell from the 5s. Altho' lawd knows I worship the water on which Umbrae walks, I'm going with Mel here for the TdM. That seems more a propos to the time period and is super charming to boot! :)