the Burning Serpent Oracle....

tinkerbell

Hi all,
I'd love to know if any of you have this deck.
I confess I didn't even make the connection that this is a Lenormand.
I was looking at images from the Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery and thinking how much I would love a Lenormand illustrated by Robert Place....(doh!)when I came across it!
In particular, I wondered how big are the cards? (I prefer bridge sized)
And do you feel a bit sad that the coffin has been replaced with the dead tree? Or with changes to some of the other cards?
(perhaps less shocking for clients?)
And any other insights you may want to share as this is not a deck I see mentioned much around these parts.....or on other forums.
Tink :)

Barleywine

This one has been on my wish-list for a while. I love the art but the rather liberal reinterpretation of some of the images and the fact that it's much pricier than more traditional Lenormand decks will probably keep me away from it. But I'll be interested in seeing how much "enabling" comes out of this thread.

tinkerbell

I really do adore the clean bright images produced by Robert Place-perfect for a Lenormand....some decks really are beautiful but too cluttered!
I had a shock when I checked his site and saw the shipping costs- I could get 2-3 other decks off my wishlist instead of just paying the shipping alone!
However, it does call me- I'm sure I would get used to his alternative images for each card....
Now I just need to know the size- I would suspect they are poker/standard tarot size.
As I am finding throwing a GT to be a great way of learning and connecting with the cards I do prefer them to be smaller...
Can anybody enlighten me in respect to the size of cards?

tinkerbell

I've just been over to YouTube and found a couple of videos....

The cards do appear to be tarot sized with a white border but in this video the deck has been trimmed and the edges 'gilded' in matt black which looks amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0elyjRXbqEE

I assume the owner of the deck has customised the deck herself- there is no talking on the clip so I don't know for sure!

manandcards

The cards are 7 x 11 cm in size so quite large. In comparison the Maybe Lenormand 5.7 x 9 cm

A few of the cards have extra mythical figures and there are some name changes, however their core meanings remain the same. The LWB has means which are pretty close to those of Caitlín Matthews (which I think is French school) with a couple of German alternative thrown in.

The big book for the deck goes through layers of meaning as Rachel Pollack takes the core meaning and does what she does best and looks at possible myths and extra layers around the cards.

Something to work with and embrace or ignore. Though I think buying this deck for those layers is one reason to work with it.

The deck also comes with extra man/woman cards and Osiris and Isis cards.

manandcards

I had a shock when I checked his site and saw the shipping costs- I could get 2-3 other decks off my wishlist instead of just paying the shipping alone!

Pst check Amazon UK - it has the deck only :D

The US shipping costs have gone a bit mad.

tinkerbell

Whoa manandcards!

That price makes this deck instantly more appealing!
Many Thanks :)

manandcards

Whoa manandcards!

That price makes this deck instantly more appealing!
Many Thanks :)

You're welcome. My understanding was that it was printed in Europe - and the printed negotiated to keep a number of decks here to sell.

tinkerbell

BSO

Update---I have been lucky enough to pick this up in a trade from a lovely AT member- so happy to own this!
Tink :angel:

manandcards

Let us know how you get on.