Moon Oracle cards

Hawthorne

Thanks for the update redflash - I know what you mean, they are a bit complicated. I am very drawn to the Moon and her cycles and energies, and really look forward to starting to use these cards. I'm focussing on learning the Tarot at the moment, but will keep this deck for the future.

catlin

I am still trying to get a go on this deck, it is definetly a deck when you want to be forced to forget everything you have learned before about tarot and/or oracles.

Definetly NOT a deck you take out of the box and start reading with right from the spot.

magpie9

I've had these quite a while and have made no progress with them...I think I haven't tried hard enough, really. :( It seems to me that it should be possible to use these (along with a tarot or other oracle) just for timing--I just can't quite figure out how. Does anyone have any ideas? It seems to me they would be really accurate!

Le Fanu

I'm determined to crack this one, I really am. I have been working hard trying to fathom this one out after getting it in a trade from Alta.

(It's this one; http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/moon-oracle/ )

What is odd is I that cannot even take the first step which is selecting a card in line with the current moon. As the Moon Phase tables in the back have run out, I got myself an app which has the moon phases, but the ones in the book contain zodiac symbols - e.g Crescent + date + Leo/Fire or Virgo/Earth. None of the Moon phases I find on the net contain the zodiac aspect or element. The app - and others - just tells me that today is Waning Gibbous. How do I find the card that represents this?

I'm scratching my head, knowing I'm doing something wrong but unable to make head or tail to even start and I've been trying with this deck for a month or so. :D Surely it isn't normal to find something this complicated? The cards also have elements but none of the Moon phases I find refer to elements.

I so wish I could progress with this deck. It's such a complicated system but such beautiful cards. I could just be random and intuitive but the moon cards have definitions like "Moon in Libra" as divinatory meanings....

Does anyone else use this, and if so, how? Maybe it's just too astrological for me.

lantana

I'm determined to crack this one, I really am. I have been working hard trying to fathom this one out after getting it in a trade from Alta.

(It's this one; http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/moon-oracle/ )

What is odd is I that cannot even take the first step which is selecting a card in line with the current moon. As the Moon Phase tables in the back have run out, I got myself an app which has the moon phases, but the ones in the book contain zodiac symbols - e.g Crescent + date + Leo/Fire or Virgo/Earth. None of the Moon phases I find on the net contain the zodiac aspect or element. The app - and others - just tells me that today is Waning Gibbous. How do I find the card that represents this?

Here's a website with current Moon phases and their current sign: http://www.lunarium.co.uk/ (Works outside the UK, just enter your time and location)

Reading about Moon signs will help you understand what they mean by "Moon in Libra" as a keyword, and knowing the signs will help you understand the element related to the sign. For example, today you'd use a card that has Waning Gibbous in Capricorn/Earth.

It does require a bit of astrology, but with the website and a chart for the elements of each Zodiac sign it might be a bit easier.

Le Fanu

Thanks for that. Looks more useful than my app. I wonder if it adjusts according to location? For me, the 16th is showing Aquarius. In terms of elemental association is that just connected to the star sign? Whatever the star sign is, that's the element?

Astrology is such a bug bear for me. It never ever makes sense to me LOL - even with books and trying to memorise. I wonder whether people ever just draw a card from this deck and take something, anything from the descriptions in the book, without trying to match it up to the current moon?

lantana

Thanks for that. Looks more useful than my app. I wonder if it adjusts according to location? For me, the 16th is showing Aquarius. In terms of elemental association is that just connected to the star sign? Whatever the star sign is, that's the element?

I believe it does. Sometimes the signs and phases match up between locations, but I have a UK-based calendar in my kitchen and I've noticed that sometimes the full moons will be a day off.

Yes, that's it! There are three star signs assigned to each element. (ie. Aries/Leo/Sag are the Fire signs.) I've never heard of a widespread correspondence between moon phases and elements, so I would bet it's referring to the star signs and their element. If anyone has heard otherwise though, feel free to speak up! :D

Le Fanu

Thank you. That makes more sense. But what's odd is that with this deck you are supposed to choose a card that represents the phase of the moon right now, for the time of your reading. According to my app, it says we are in Waning Gibbous but there is no card that refers to Waning Gibbous, only Waxing Gibbous, which is a bit bemusing...

lantana

Thank you. That makes more sense. But what's odd is that with this deck you are supposed to choose a card that represents the phase of the moon right now, for the time of your reading. According to my app, it says we are in Waning Gibbous but there is no card that refers to Waning Gibbous, only Waxing Gibbous, which is a bit bemusing...

Oh! They're titled Disseminating. Waning crescents are titled Balsamic. Very misleading, I know! These are terms used within magic/astrology circles but they've started to fall a bit out of use these days... Probably because people are more familiar with just calling them what they are?

Le Fanu

Oh! They're titled Disseminating. Waning crescents are titled Balsamic. Very misleading, I know! These are terms used within magic/astrology circles but they've started to fall a bit out of use these days... Probably because people are more familiar with just calling them what they are?
Thank you so much! You're such a huge help :*