Tarot in the Harry Potter Series (Warning! Spoilers and Speculation about Book 7)

Aulruna

Yes, I heard about the encyclopedia too.

Also, that book 7 would include what happened to the survivors later on, kind of like in Lord of the Rings, which would make an 8th installment unnecessary.

makesvoodoodolls

Aulruna said:
Hm, that would give us The Star for book 7... definitely hope that the wizarding world will go into a brighter future.

I must say, I have read books 1-4 numerous times, but my interet somewhat decreased during the past two installment. I found OotP very tough to get through, and while HBP picked up a little speed again, the ending left me so disappointed I didn't even want to speculate on the horcruxes (this seems to be the common plural in Harry Potter forums like Mugglenet). I hope book 7 will bring back my enthusiasm!

OK, are you making a pun about your hope? =)
I got really elaborate explaining what I meant about this relationship, you can read more than you wanted to know at
http://www.horcruxcity.com/?p=16
I'm just not sure because I'm such a casual tarot reader, and the deck I've used most (lately) is a non traditional deck.

Aulruna

I've read your essay and you really made a lot of good points!
But I saw some connections just from your first post, I think it makes sense - especially the last three. The Tower for Dumbledore's death - calamity, but also, as in Tarot, a chance for the characters to grow beyond their former selves.

For book 1, I just thought this would also work for Justice (card 11 in a number of decks) ... Harry finally coming into his rights, being recognized for what he is, the first triumphant ending (winning the house cup etc.) without the drawbacks that come later.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll certainly look out for clues to the Star in book 7.

HearthCricket

jackdaw* said:
I think she said it would be like an encyclopedia of sorts of Harry's world - the chance to use the bits she didn't use in the novels.

More apocryphal to the stories, like Quidditch Through the Ages and the other one.

I hope she does. That would be a lovely addition to the series. I have always been huge in the LOTR and spend hours going through the notes at the end of the Return of the King. I can only imagine what awesome notes she must have that could be such fun! I'm all for it!

makesvoodoodolls

thanks for that. I didn't know about the justice card. I bet she does have a big bunch of notes! I was really into LOTR and am always amused by the way JKR twists the enchanted creatures around, the house elves being nothing like Tolkein's and the goblins also very different.

HudsonGray

They had an interview with her on the radio this morning, she's still not sure she's going to do a book #8 so it's still up in the air. Mostly the interview was about how her books have changed kids reading patterns. The book 8 question was at the end and she didn't have much to say on it yet so I'm thinking it's probably extremely tentative--that the media grabbed the news and made too much of it recently when nothing is confirmed at this point.

Sar

Anyway, I hope she will continue to write.