Magic Tricks W? Tarot???

lilith

I was browsing on ebay oogling over decks and I came across a downloadable book called "Tarot Readers Notebook" by Ron Martin.It explained how to do cold Tarot readings for the public.What are cold readings? I was curious about this book [it cost 45 dollars Yikes] so I googled it. Various magic websites came up. I think that this is a book that explains how to trick people.Am I wrong? If it is I think it's a shame. I've worked so hard on learning Tarot. If I am wrong,does it explain how to work with the public in giving a good reading? Has anybody read this or have it?

Tiro DvD

Here is a Wiki article about Cold Reading.

Basically it is a technique of predication based on observation of the Client and appropriate questions or statements to make the client reveal more information. A positive example of Cold Reading is Sherlock Holmes's trick of properly guessing a persons job and recent activity within the time he shakes their hand. A negative example of Cold Reading is Crossing Over with Johnathan Edwards.

This topic usually comes up as a counter-argument to the effects and procedures of occultism and paranormal phenomena, dismissing them to parlor tricks. I'd just ditch anything associated with it, because more often or not it is just used for scams.

lilith

Wow Umbrae, after reading your old posts,I have to admit that I really need to look at why I want to do readings for others.Thank you both for responding to my thread. Umbrae how do you feel about Tarot? I know for myself that I am craving a connection with spirit. I feel that through Tarot I can believe in something greater than myself. I so want to believe in the magical. Through Tarot I have this. This also makes me want to pay more attention the next time I go to a psychic fair.

Umbrae

Dear Lilith;

How do I feel about Tarot? Well I've been using it for readings for myself and others, and as a meditative and study tool for many years.

And I realize that there are others who use it as a tool to rip folks off.

Some mechanics are honest and others will razor-blade your fan belt. It’s not so different.

I find that used correctly it is a spiritual tool. But I cannot change others, or how others act, or treat their fellow man.

What I can do is change myself.

If by doing so – one person is inspired to do likewise, then nothing I’ve ever done or said is in vain.

So don’t allow this to frighten you. Carry on.

Just know that there are charlatan’s out there. They come in all shapes, sizes, genders, and gender identities.

All I ask is that you’re true to yourself.

Be well…

Umbrae