How to handle a "redo"

Cocobird55

Since I don't use reversals, I sometimes think that it's okay to read a card as though it were reversed, if it makes the reading clearer. I have read that most people who don't read reversals integrate the meanings into their practice.

Barleywine

Since I don't use reversals, I sometimes think that it's okay to read a card as though it were reversed, if it makes the reading clearer. I have read that most people who don't read reversals integrate the meanings into their practice.

I've debated whether to drop them, but I'd rather think hard about the possibilities after I get the visual cue than before. It saves a lot of time since I don't have to discuss the full range of possible positive and negative meanings for every card with my sitters. In truth, though, it's just the way I learned a long time ago and never saw any good reason to change. I think I did convince myself not to use them with my TdM decks.

blackmoonbee

I've debated whether to drop them, but I'd rather think hard about the possibilities after I get the visual cue than before. It saves a lot of time since I don't have to discuss the full range of possible positive and negative meanings for every card with my sitters. In truth, though, it's just the way I learned a long time ago and never saw any good reason to change.

This thread is very insightful
I only read for myself and I redo every now and then. It is more common for me to redo when I'm using a deck other than my personal deck... which is probably hindering my growth and comfort with that deck a bit... but for my daily reads I expect a certain feeling upon laying out my cards. Also I read reversals but once i had an entire spread of reversals and was like uhm... I'm going to log this and come back to it... and did another spread.

I have noticed that the more specific my question the less likely I redo.

Barleywine

This thread is very insightful
I only read for myself and I redo every now and then. It is more common for me to redo when I'm using a deck other than my personal deck... which is probably hindering my growth and comfort with that deck a bit... but for my daily reads I expect a certain feeling upon laying out my cards. Also I read reversals but once i had an entire spread of reversals and was like uhm... I'm going to log this and come back to it... and did another spread.

I have noticed that the more specific my question the less likely I redo.

Just recently I've contributed to a couple of threads in Your Readings that had a large number of reversals. Assuming that the deck was randomized sufficiently for reversal and not just held wrong-way-up, I tend to see that situation as a strong undercurrent showing that some important (and not necessarily wholly negative, just unexpected) aspect of the situation is working at cross-purposes - or at best obliquely - to the querent's desires or expectations. With that theme in mind, I can then make a "story" out of what that might be. There is usually some kind of divergence going on behind the scenes. This wouldn't be enough to make me "re-do."

CharlotteK

The Chariot plus Temperance make me think your car's wheels need balancing! :D Seriously though, whenever I encounter apparently irreconcilable cards in a reading, I try to find any kind of commonality between them before I give up. So it's correspondences to the rescue! Temperance has the Hierophant buried within it (1 + 4 = 5) and also all of the "5" pips (which one applies depends on the context of the question). Assigned to Temperance, Sagittarius is related to the higher mind (philosophy, higher education, etc) and the Hierophant symbolizes teaching and learning; both are on the conventional side, so there could be something to see there. The Chariot corresponds to Cancer, and its ruler, the Moon, and the ruler of Sagittarius, Jupiter, are highly compatible since both have to do with "increase." Also, the Chariot relates to the "7" pips (whichever one fits according to context). Since both the Fives and the Sevens are odd-numbered, unbalanced "difficult" cards, you could see whether any friction exists between the things they signify, recognizing that both are struggling to achieve balance in different ways. Even further, I created my own system of correspondences to relate the court and pip cards to the Major Arcana, in which the Chariot has a connection to the Knight/Prince of Cups (covering most of watery Scorpio) and Temperance relates to the 9 of Wands (Moon in Sagittarius). This presents a few more ideas to run down. You could almost write your own "Grail" myth! :)

There are lots of ways to skin the cat. I never quit at the level of "generally accepted meanings."
How funny. I got a notice in the post this morning that I urgently
need to get my car M.O.T and car tax! But wow, thank you Barleywine, this is a depth of interpretation I can barely fathom. The third card was Judgement. It seemed like a portentous combination for a quick.midweek reading. I still feel overwhelmed when I pull three majors and the chariot and judgement, although positive in association can feel quite ominous. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread, I just wanted to say I sometimes let things just simmer in the background rather than struggle or abandon a reading.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

blackmoonbee

Just recently I've contributed to a couple of threads in Your Readings that had a large number of reversals. Assuming that the deck was randomized sufficiently for reversal and not just held wrong-way-up, I tend to see that situation as a strong undercurrent showing that some important (and not necessarily wholly negative, just unexpected) aspect of the situation is working at cross-purposes - or at best obliquely - to the querent's desires or expectations. With that theme in mind, I can then make a "story" out of what that might be. There is usually some kind of divergence going on behind the scenes. This wouldn't be enough to make me "re-do."

Yea I agree, especially if I know my deck is shuffled really well. I didn't disregard the spread, I just logged it for further reflection later. In the moment, I just didn't have the time to sit with the cards and work on a reading.

With that being said often when I redo I'm partly thinking "I don't have time to try to figure this out.... " Because my daily readings are in the morning shortly before I start work.... Hence why I stick to 3 card spreads during the week.

So... sometimes I redo and totally discard it if I know I shuffled weird or started the reading in a weird space. (Issue: the cards and my reading prep)

Sometimes I redo and log the cards for further reflection if I know the cards are reflecting something I don't really have time to interpret, so I redo for a clearer reading and understand the two different spreads are likely related. (Issue: Me, time available, and knowledge of/comfort with the cards)

Barleywine

Yea I agree, especially if I know my deck is shuffled really well. I didn't disregard the spread, I just logged it for further reflection later. In the moment, I just didn't have the time to sit with the cards and work on a reading.

With that bring said often when I redo I'm partly thinking "I dont have time to try to figure this out.... " Because my daily readings are in the morning shortly before I start work.... Hence why I stick to 3 card spreads during the week.

So... sometimes I redo and totally discard it if I know I shuffled wierd or started the reading in a weird space. (Issue: the cards and my reading prep)

Sometimes I redo and log the cards for further reflection if I know the cards are reflecting something I don't really have time to interpret, so I redo for a clearer reading and understand the two different spreads are likely related. (Issue: Me, time available, and knowledge of/comfort with the cards)

I tried one-card pulls in the morning for a while, but they mostly told me nothing useful about the coming day, so I skipped "re-do" and went straight to a permanent "un-do." :) Logging and returning seems like a good strategy.